The Dreadful words "weight loss surgery"

Options
2»

Replies

• time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It is a very tough decision to make. I know there are amazing success stories but personally I could no longer consider risking doing either kind of weight loss surgery. I have made this decision due to 3 people close to me and my family. Saddest is the death of my sister's younger friend and co-worker (had lap band) whose band slipped and caused organ failure. Now her 2 kids are being raised by her mother. My 20 something brother-in-law, a firefighter, had gastric bypass (with the stomach stapling) and after losing over 100lbs in less than a year started developing ulcers in his bottom stomach, throwing up blood, passed out on floor. He will need a costly revision that his insurance won't cover if he wants to fix it as he has gained back some of the weight. And finally an older family friend who lost over 150lbs more than 10 years ago and looks amazing but gets severely ill because she doesn't absorb nutrients well and catches every cold/disease so easily that it has put in the hospital several times. The C-diff she caught while in the hospital almost killed her this pass year.

Please know I'm not trying to scare you in any way, like I said their are many success stories, but for me, the above reasons are why it's no longer an option I would consider.

Best of luck to you in whichever way you decide to go and know that you will have plenty of support here all along the way.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had lap band September 1ST 2010. I will be the first to tell you it is NOT an easy way out! I have always tried to lose weight and I was very successful every time..... I just could not keep it off! I too have PCOS and Insulin resistance. My band is only a tool to help me... and in 25 weeks I have lost 91 pounds. I log everything I eat... and I take one zumba class every week on top of a very busy schedule. I feel great and I am ding great... and my band has helped me.... it has helped me... it has not cured me! I know other lap band patients that eat crap... take in too many calories and lose less then a pound a week... I just loss 4 pounds this week! WHY? because I work damn hard at it... If losing weight and having a baby is important to you.... WLS could be an option...
  • wasthat
    Options
    I am not going to say anything on here that anyone else hasn't said but I will tell you if it weren't for my WLS I would not be where I am today! I had the gastric sleeve last July and I have lost 130 pounds that being said I wanted to lose 200 and my doc wants me to lose 220. I worked very hard the first 6 mths and have had tremendous success. I just got back from vacation and I am ready to kick it into high gear for the next 6 mths to reach my weight loss goals.

I decided to pull the trigger after spending the last 3 years ttc with no success. I decided that it was time to do something for me and to start taking care of myself.

MFP is a great tool for me to make sure I am getting enough nutrition! It is a challenge. I wish you the best of luck!
  • vwbear
    vwbear Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also had weight loss surgery ( RNY Gastric Bypass 2003) and would do it again in a heartbeat. That being said, after the initial weight loss period (generally considered the 1st year after surgery), the weight needs to be taken off in the same way everyone has to take it off-through diet and exercise. I did lose a lot of weight (100 lbs) , but didn't reach quite where I wanted to be, but was much healthier than I had been before I had the surgey. I am fortunate, and have a limited amount of foods that I cannot tolerate, and my bloodowrk has always been good. I had put about 30 lbs back on, and I want to take that off, and try to get closer to my original goal weight. The surgery was, and is, only a tool in the weight loss journey. I have to keep in mind certain dietary recommendations and restrictions due to the surgery, but I still have to lose the weight like everyone else does at this point, through a committment t take care of myself through a healthier diet and exercise. I believe the decision to have any surgery is entirely a personal one.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    A lot of doctors push WLS too quickly IMO. Like others have said it's not the easy way out by any means but losing weight with PCOS (I have it) is very possible without surgery.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I had RNY last summer. Best choice I ever made. However, I don't think you should do it. Obviously you don't think it's a good choice for yourself, so don't do it.

Because I had zero health problems related directly to my weight I really had to FIGHT to prove that I should have the surgery. It took me over two years to get the help that your doctor is handing to you. I had to go to appointments three hours away with two young children in tow while dealing with a spouse that was (temporarily) mentally unstable. I fought to get it because I knew it would help me. I had absolutely no doubt that the surgery wouldn't fail me and I did whatever I had to do to get it. Now I'm in the final 35 pound stretch and working my *ss off for the finish line. My legs have been in pins and needles for weeks from working out and how the workouts are affecting my MS. I ... will ... not ... fail.

But you have doubts. So it probably isn't the right choice for you. Don't do it.
  • luvcookie
    luvcookie Posts: 97
    Options
    Im waiting to be tested to see if i have pcos..I have had thyroid test done but everything seemed ok but i have alot of symptoms of pcos so my dr says....as for getting pregant, I have 2 healthy children,a boy that just tured 17 and my girl that will be 9 this week....is it possible that I have just got this pcos ? Or do u have to be actually born with it ? Anyway, i sometimes work very hard at my workouts n record what im eating then to hit the scales n its a 1 loss ....arrrggggh very disapointing but it very much may have to do with what they dr says is wrong...going for my blood test this week so thats a start on finding out if i have it i guess.....