is it okay...

Options
to not eat all of your calories...((by alot))?

will i lose more weight that way or am i hurting myself in the long run?

Replies

• lesliedionne
    Options

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Really you should not have a deficit of more than 1,000 Cals a day (2lb per week loss). It's not healthy and will be bad for your metabolism in the long run.

So if you burn say 2,300 Calories a day without exercise (random number), you should never eat less than 1,300. And you should eat enough of your exercise Cals to at least keep you above a 1,000 Cal deficit.
  • lesliedionne
    Options
    OKAY THANKS!! =)

i'm suppose to only eat 1200 calories a day, and ive been eating around 500-700 a day and then i work out, so i get more...so yeah i guess i should be eating more...lol
    thanks!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    you're hurting yourself in the long run. the trap people fall into is not eating enough, body thinks its starving, you may lose weight but the second you start eating normally again your body puts the pounds back on.

the people on here who've had the most success (meaning lost weight and kept it off) tend to stick with the program and eat all of their calories.

is there a reason you don't want to eat your calories?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    At your size you should not have more that a 500 calorie deficit per day. 1200 is likely too low for you. any lower than that and... well we're talking starvation. 500 calories a day minus excercise? Thats what negative 200 calories per day for your body? a big no no.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, I am gonna agree and disagree on this one. I have found at times, my body tells me I am full and can't hold no more, whether my cals are used ot not.

I know, not everyone is the same and a lot of us all need special commitment, instruction as well.

But please listen to your body..... don't stuff your self........

sometimes it is ok, in my opinion, to not consume all cals if you are full.

buit don't make a habit of it..... just listen to the 'ol bod!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    OK, I am gonna agree and disagree on this one. I have found at times, my body tells me I am full and can't hold no more, whether my cals are used ot not.

I know, not everyone is the same and a lot of us all need special commitment, instruction as well.

The simple fact is that many people do not know how to "listen to their body." For one, a lot of people on here have or had eating disorders--well, fact it, we all did to some degree, right, or we wouldn't be here!

BUT, my point is this--there are people on here who will eat 500-800 calories a day and say "I feel full! I won't/can't eat anymore." Yet, they are in reality starving themselves. There are other people on here who are eating plenty and yet will say "I'm hungry still--I want to eat more." Not to put any of those people down--like I said, we all have eating disorders to some degree or another. And, WE ARE ALL ON HERE FOR HEALING AND FOR OUR HEALTH! But, it's just that many of us don't know what it means to really "listen" to our bodies.

I'm still learning how to do that. I've learned so much since April on here and researching on my own. I feel I know my body now better than I ever had--YET, there are still days when I realize just how much I still don't know.

Not to mention that I wouldn't have gotten here if I knew how to listen to my body to begin with.

So, sometimes, listening to our bodies isn't easy. That's where MFP has come in for me. I can look and see that I've eaten all the calories I need. That I don't need any more, or that I need more, etc.

For many, they need to follow MFP guidelines to learn how to eat in a healthy manner and to stop "listening to their bodies" because in reality, their "bodies" have been lying to them for many many years.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree. Most of us don't know how to read our bodies at all. That's why we're fat to begin with. We over ate to the point that we put on excess weight. Everyone has a different reason, but it's all the same- we ate more than we should have. Your body REQUIRES energy. Now i'm not saying that you're committing a sin by only eating 1450 calories when you're on a 1500 calorie diet, but I am saying that 500-700 calories a day is WAY WAY WAY too low. Eating that much for an extended period of time WILL result in horrible side effects such as hair loss, bad skin, poor digestion and mood swings. Trust me, I have been there, losing weight that way doesn't work. Sure the weight falls off, but if you ever plan to eat regularly again (and I hope you do because you're young and I'm sure you'd like to live for more than a few more years) the weight will pile back on and you'll be right back where you started. This program works, just trust it and eat your calories. :flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

OK... here's the short and sweet answer; if you don't eat properly, you will not lose weight in a healthy manner. Period. Yeah, at first, it may seem wrong, but once you actually do the reading, and understand about how the body processes food, then you'll ALSO understand about the need to properly eat, and exercise... and also time both to give you the bestest most beautiful you that there is! :flowerforyou: