Sweet Tooth

Options
You all know the saying..... "I've got a sweet tooth" Well, I don't just have a sweet tooth, I have a whole mouth full!! :wink:
What do you do keep from giving in? For me, I can resist buying it. If I don't buy it I don't have a problem, it's when I actually give in to buying it then I can't seem to put it down! Thank goodness I like to save as much money as possible! :happy:

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I realized that it is a habit that can be broken. The less sweets you eat, and eventually ween yourself to very little sweets, the more you don't want them. I have no problem with sweets, and can easily pass them up.

Good luck!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Fruit is very sweet. Have a piece of fruit or a small piece of dark chocolate. If you go for dark chocolate, eat it slowly.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I realized that it is a habit that can be broken. The less sweets you eat, and eventually ween yourself to very little sweets, the more you don't want them. I have no problem with sweets, and can easily pass them up.

Good luck!

Thanks! I've been really good about it lately. LIke I said, I just don't buy it. Some days I chew a lot of gum and that seems to do it. I was just curious what everybody else does.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a jar at my desk..

mixed with:

Pearson patties (peppermint pattie) appx 30 calories each
    Sweet Stripes (peppermints - soft an melt quick) appx 20 calories each
    little tootsie rolls (midgets) appx 23 calories

also...
    Smarties (15 per roll) 25 calories, I don't even touch these anyore..

I'll have one of each, MAYBE once a day....

True, I hardly touch it anymore... but I won't deny it (just limit it)
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya on the if I don't buy it, then I'm good thing! Every so often tho I do buy it and bring it home.... I have to keep something sweet around or I'll go crazy and buy oreos (like I did this week..:ohwell: lol) or something. Typically I keep fruit, like strawberries and oranges, or twizzlers, or those 100 cal packs of cookies around. I think that having a sweet tooth is fine but like everything else it has to be in moderation. :smile: I also allow myself one or two hershey's kisses from the candy bowl at work every few days...lol..moderation.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i am also combating a terrible sweet tooth...i keep saying that once a season is 'over' (halloween, christmas, valentines day, and now easter) i will be so much better...but truth be told i have a 'favorite' sweet for all!!! truthfully i do a lot better during the spring/summer months because the novelty candy isn't around and fruits are more in abundance...i have learned though that i can't give it up completely because then i am destined to binge...i'm up for any hints people have :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give it up - I'd rather be fat. So - I watch everything else, including calories, and ALWAYS save some for a little treat. I have become a wiz at finding low cal treats. Skinny Cow, Trader Joes Dark Choc Caramel Wedges, Tootsie Pop, Dum Dum pops, Weight watchers fudge bar, etc. I find sucking on a lollipop or a sugar free Werthers the most satisfying - and it lasts a long time :-) Lots of goodies out there that you TOO can have! If this is going to be my life from here on out - I gotta have it! Good luck!
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    According to here http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=100341 , this is what they have to say about sugar.

"MYTH: Sugar is fattening.
    FACT: There's little scientific evidence that a high-sugar diet leads to obesity. Not that you'd want to (since sugar doesn't provide any of the vitamins and minerals needed for good health), but you could consume 2,000 calories worth of sugar a day and not gain weight — if your body requires 2,000 calories a day to maintain your current weight, says Columbia University nutrition professor Audrey Cross, PhD. Sugar is pure carbohydrate. Your body processes it the same way it does any carb, including bread and fruit."

I like sweets also (a lot). I have a little every day but in moderation.

And... ditto what 4lafz said!
  • brity77
    Options
    You all know the saying..... "I've got a sweet tooth" Well, I don't just have a sweet tooth, I have a whole mouth full!! :wink:
    What do you do keep from giving in? For me, I can resist buying it. If I don't buy it I don't have a problem, it's when I actually give in to buying it then I can't seem to put it down! Thank goodness I like to save as much money as possible! :happy:

Haha! I find myself saying that all the time about my whole mouth being full of sweet teeth. Glad I'm not the only one! :) I definitely agree that if I don't buy it, I won't eat it...but it's hard when my loved ones buy junk and have it in front of me. Definitely hard to to turn it down that way!
  • christy2077
    Options
    I have always had a Major "sweet tooth"! Before I had kids, I could eat sweets ALL the time and it would not affect me! Not so much now! I try and eat the sugar free pudding, strawberries and grapes to get my sweet fix =) Those 90 calorie chocolate chunck garnola bars help too!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i am also combating a terrible sweet tooth...i keep saying that once a season is 'over' (halloween, christmas, valentines day, and now easter) i will be so much better...but truth be told i have a 'favorite' sweet for all!!! truthfully i do a lot better during the spring/summer months because the novelty candy isn't around and fruits are more in abundance...i have learned though that i can't give it up completely because then i am destined to binge...i'm up for any hints people have :)

Hahaha...you are so right...and Easter is coming right around the corner!!
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've been letting myself have a little something every now and then when the occasion is right. I got lost Sunday and ended up walking 6 miles so when I came home I let myself have a couple of my roommate's amazing sugar cookies. They're small so two was okay and I had just walked 6 miles! I had the calories to spare that day.

I had some dark chocolate trail mix stuff in my yogurt one morning I just kept the servng size VERY low and I made sure I still came in under my calorie goal that day :D
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give it up - I'd rather be fat. So - I watch everything else, including calories, and ALWAYS save some for a little treat. I have become a wiz at finding low cal treats. Skinny Cow, Trader Joes Dark Choc Caramel Wedges, Tootsie Pop, Dum Dum pops, Weight watchers fudge bar, etc. I find sucking on a lollipop or a sugar free Werthers the most satisfying - and it lasts a long time :-) Lots of goodies out there that you TOO can have! If this is going to be my life from here on out - I gotta have it! Good luck!

Totally agree! I have a major SweetTooth (hence the name duh!) and if I had to live without forever, I could never do this, so I make sure to leave enough calories for treats, and practice moderation and control. If I can't have it in front of me and practice moderation, I would be afraid I would just melt down one day and totally binge. If I want more, I just tell myself it will still be there tomorrow and I can have another then!

I'm a sucker for chocolate and also for Dino fruit snacks made by Aldi supermarkets - the ones with no gelatin in them - they are awesome and I can make one bag (100 cals) last AGES!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am very much the same way, a whole mouth full of them sweet teeth. I have taken to eating more fruit, to cure that hankering for the sweets, a lot of different fruits, i.e. strawberries, watermelon, apples, will give you that sensation of sweetness, but are much better for you. Also, when I want a sweet treat for dinner, I take a med. sweet potato, bake it in the oven in some aluminum foil til it gets soft, peel the skin, mash it, spray a couple of spritzes of I cant believe its not butter, sprinkle with one packet of splenda and some cinnamon, all in all, like 144 calories, very low carbs, and very filling.
  • fontaine3b
    Options
    Those 90 calorie chocolate chunck garnola bars help too!

I completely agree! not only are they sweet but chewy!! just what ya need in a moment of "I've got have it!"
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to vita tops, skinny cow, and weight watchers. Lol. One or two under 100 calorie treats a day is enough to keep me on track!