Tabata Virgin

Options
I am just back from my first Tabata session.......GOD HELP ME!

I usually do 2 spin classes and cardio boxing in a regular week. I have been doing this for a while and would consider my cardio fitness to be pretty good. I was doing some research and stumbled across http://www.tabataprotocol.com/ and thought I would give it a go.

I jumped into the deep end and decided to tackle an 8 round tabata. (How hard can it be? 20 second intervals, pfft)...These were the longest 20 seconds of my life, my heart rate skyrocketed, (I struggle to push it over 165 in a regular spin class), my breathing was instantly heavy and my recovery heart rate was a good 30bpm above usual.

Would I do it again? YES. I am interested in seeing the results and will keep you all posted on how I go (including improvements on recovery heart rate)

Anyone else using Tabata in a regular routine or would like to start and see if we can find some benefits?

Replies

• phoenixsxflight
    phoenixsxflight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What exactly is Tabata?
  • chubby1978
    Options
    Just checked out the link you povided....very interested! I'm going to try this at the gym tomorrow! Thanks!
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    Looks interesting. I'm definately going to consider adding this to my workouts.
  • strongdog68
    Options
    I've been doing Tabata at the end of my strength workouts two days a week for the last two weeks. I have been doing the intervals with mountain climbers, jumping rope, etc. Very tough, but I like it. Did two round of 8 back to back Saturday. It's already making an impact on my fitness. I will have to see the effect on weight loss over the next few weeks.
  • strongdog68
    Options
    I've been doing Tabata at the end of my strength workouts two days a week for the last two weeks. I have been doing the intervals with mountain climbers, jumping rope, etc. Very tough, but I like it. Did two round of 8 back to back Saturday. It's already making an impact on my fitness. I will have to see the effect on weight loss over the next few weeks.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Phoenix...Tabata is simply 8 rounds of 20 second intervals with a 10 second break between each interval. It can be of any exercise, but must be performed at 100%

Here is some more on it http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

But as the first site suggested bike is best place to start. I did the full 8 rounds on a spin bike and was amazed at how hard it is. Only problem is how to log it in MFP. They say the calorie burning that occurs during the workout is nothing compared to the calorie burn that will continue throughout the day.......only time will tell.