Newly Vegetarian

Options
On friday it will be 4 weeks of no meat for me ( no poultry, pork or any red meat) I've heard that a lot of people gain weight when dong this b/c they compensate for the lack of protein w/ carbs, I definitely don't want to do this. I've eaten fish once (Tilapia) I'm not a big fish person, but I ate it b/c it was the only non meat object on the menu. I recently bought soy veggie protein to mix in things and eat.....I'm just wondering any tips on what I should be doing here ? I've been doing okay with the weight loss, but I know protein is a very important part of it. Please help :)

Replies

• Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great meatless protein options on the market as well as receipes and other meals ideas on this site in the Community section.

:smile:
  • alexj8403
    Options
    you just need leafy greens like spinach or kale. Also, if you're still eating dairy, then greek yogurt is a GREAT protein source! Congrats on the vegetarian lifestyle! Saving the earth and your health! :)
  • ABhende
    ABhende Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You would gain weight as a vegetarian only if you eat vegetarian junk food - fries fried in oil are vegetarian :)

I have been vegetarian all my life ( never ate meat ) and I put on lot of weight only when I was eating a lot of fries and chips and ice-cream. Now trying to reduce that intake - don't want to stop
  • danielley515
    Options
    Thank you so much, for your input good luck to u!
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks ago I stopped eating meat too. However, last week I could tell that I was a little weak while working out, so I added lean turkey and fish. I eat tofu regularly too. Be careful with the meatless substitutions. They are loaded with sodium. In moderation not so bad, but it adds up quick if you eat too many of them. You're welcome to look at my food diary. I am just now starting to get it right. Took me about 4 weeks without the meat to get my eating goals close to what I want. Good luck.
  • danielley515
    Options
    I am eating dairy and eggs as long as they're organic....I can't give that stuff up lol. I've yet to try greek yogurt I'll have to go and get some, thank you!
  • ColorfulSouls
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 2 years and it was great! I encourage you to keep on at it!

For compensating on protein, my nutritionist told me to eat more beans and cheeses. Also drink plenty of milk and eat eggs (if you do eat eggs, that is)
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm also new to the Vegan life.. I just re-read The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone to give me some motivation. I read it once before, gave up meat and slowly went back to old habits. This time I'm doing it for the right reasons. I recently developed a stomach ulcer because the acidity in my body is way too high. Turns out the most acidic things you can eat are meat and dairy. Go figure.

Anyway, protein is important but we don't need as much as we think we do. Alicia says that you don't even need a protein at every meal, once or twice is plenty. You should read her book if you haven't already, it gives you all the nutritional FAQ's you can think of. Any beans are a great source of protein and give you plenty for your daily needs.

Also, on the gaining weight thing... if your following a vegetarian lifestyle full of veggies and whole grains you shouldn't gain weight. Be conscious of the portions of carbs but they aren't the bad guy! I followed The Kind Diet for only a week and lost 10 pounds. I really doubt you'll have any trouble.

Good luck on this new way of life and keep us updated on any yummy recipes you find!! :flowerforyou: