Salad Dressing Replacement

Options
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this before, but tonight instead of salad dressing on my salad, I mashed half of an avocado with salt and pepper and used that as my "dressing". I tossed the lettuce in the avocado to coat it and it was creamy and perfect. While the calories and fat aren't as low as low-fat, fat free dressings, it's obviously healthier. Give it a try!

Replies

• bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    great tip!!! i love avocados!
  • jjmorrelli
    Options
    I love hot sauce or spicy stuff so I usually put sirachi or some type of not processed salsa on mine
  • 23sdlsdfoi98
    Options
    I either put salsa on it, it's like a healthy alternative to chips and salsa. Or I mix vinegar, a bit of minced garlic, salt and pepper and Dijon mustard. It's super low cal, and has quite some tang to it!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I either put salsa on it, it's like a healthy alternative to chips and salsa. Or I mix vinegar, a bit of minced garlic, salt and pepper and Dijon mustard. It's super low cal, and has quite some tang to it!

That dijon mustard dressing sounds delightful!!
  • BacktoSam
    Options

Yum!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just don't use any 'dressing' the salad is fine by itself, you soon get used to it...

David
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I replaced salad dressing with flavorful vegetables to cut down on sodium.

My favorites are: onions, tomatoes, banana peppers, green peppers
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of water (to tone down the vinegar).

Honey dijon mustard - only need a few drops because it's such a strong flavor

brown minced (jarred) garlic, fruit of choice (I used strawberries last time) very finely chopped and FRESH basil with a bit of olive oil. Once browned (so the oil is infused), allow to cool and add splash of balsamic to taste.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Mmm balsamic vinegar all the way! I like sour things so I often just splash it on salads neat. (Obviously in moderation, not like half a bottle :laugh: )

Also, Kraft has a low-fat honey & mustard dressing, I think it's about 16 kcal per tablespoon, it really livens up a salad!
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    I use cottage cheese and maybe a tsp of some kind of dressing just for the flavor. It's delicious!