Darn Elliptical Causing Numb Toes?

Options
Anyone know why my toes and the very top portion of my foot would feel kind numb (not the pins and needles extreme- more basic) when doing the elliptical? My husband bought me this machine for Christmas. I have never had this problem with a treadmill.
My friend who is a runner said maybe my shoes- but they are new running sneakers and the fit is good.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Replies

• iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    does it too me too.. i switched to another pair of shoes..
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This actually happens to me today!!!
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine do too! I just move my feet around a little bit.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    hahahaha I have the same problem and I think it is because we push consistently with our toes on the elliptical versus rolling our feet on the treadmill when walking. if I take the time to go in reverse on the elliptical it helps correct the problem.If I focus hard on keeping my feet as flat as possible it doesnt do it as bad. or if I lean to far forward.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on the treadmill every day!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    me too and my foot doctor said it happens to him too... wierd
  • morgaj8
    Options
    It does for me too. I changed shoes & it still didnt help. I tried putting my weight on my heels but nothing helps. I just deal with it...
  • carocurl135
    Options
    I have read that if you loosen your shoelaces, it helps.
  • autumtg
    autumtg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is a common problem for most people. On an elliptical your foot doesn't go through the normal range of motion it would while you are running. Just try to remember to wiggle your toes occasionally or lift your heels up a little as you are doing the motions. HTH!
  • jepantle
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I bought new shoes because I thought that maybe mine were too narrow and were squishing my toes, but it's no better. It doesn't stop me from using the elliptical, but it's really obnoxious! I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts...
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    it's normal from the constant pumping of blood out of your feet as you put repeated pressure on them. 1. shift your feet regularly. 2. get a 1/2" neoprene pad for the foot beds on the machine and it'll go away.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    me too!
  • getterislim2010
    Options
    OMG... I was wondering the same thing for months... I think it's just a matter of moving your feet around and using your heels.... it's very annoying... especially when you're in the middle of a good work out :(
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too!!!! I'm so glad to see that I'm not a weirdo. I asked my husband if it happens to him and he looked at me like I had two heads! :laugh:
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It is normal, you feet are most likely swelling during your workouts and your shoes get tighter and makes your feet feel like they are asleep, that is what my sport doctor told me.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's most likely the fit of your shoes.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but only in my right foot. Hurts on elliptical and on the bike I ride at the gym. I sometimes were an ankle brace and that helps. I also realized that I have extremely high arches and bought high arch inserts for my shoes which help ALOT!. I have bought the $50 Dr. Scholls inserts and the $20 sports authority inserts. No difference except for the price.

My trainer at the gym also said since I was wearing running shoes that the soles are softer then those of cross trainers and that an investment in new shoes would probably help.
  • barrelskinny
    Options
    Mine do it on the elliptical as well as the treadmill. Talked to the personal trainer about it and he said to stretch my feet really well first and make sure your body is warmed up before you start. It still happens sometimes, and I just deal with it, but it is annoying. the treadmill actually does it worse to me!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    funny, i never had that happen on an eliptical, but used to have it from a recombent bike. i didn't worry too much and just used something else to warm up with at the gym. that was years ago though, so who knows f it would still happen to me.
  • barrelskinny
    Options
    ha ha Jenna, it happens to my husband too!