Scared. Fat. Embarrassed. 18.

Options
13»

Replies

• neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A few things to remember: There's dancers and performers of all shapes and sizes, your body is going through some changes, and you are a wonderful and worthy person just the way you are.

You may feel literally surrounded by petite girls who seem to be able to eat anything. For some people this is true because of metabolism. Others of those girls may be stressed out dieting and exercising. They may be just as scared or embarassed as you, fearing that if they eat this or that, or don't get their workout in, then they'll be Fat. Or they may already think they're fat.

People often feel differently about their own faces. Think about it; average is average, meaning most people, but most people don't find their faces as terrifying as their body. Why? People see their own faces all the time in mirrors and windows, but not the same for their entire body. We see bits and pieces when we can, and judge ourselves based on that. Or, horrors, dressing room mirrors :P

Eat as much healthy food as you can. Pair your sugars with proteins to keep your blood sugar even. Treat yourself, and treat yourself well. If you can, eat smaller portions of "real" things; butter instead of margarine, real soda instead of diet, since filing up on artificial can damage your insides and lead to long-term weight issues.

And a lot of lifting in dance isn't about the guys' arms, it's about the girls' legs. Strengthen those up, focus on flexibility, and you'll be leaping like jack-be-nimble no matter what you measure. Plus you'll have grace and poise, which will make you feel and look better no matter what.

Oh, and side-note, women who actively try to maintain thinness are on average less psychologically happy than their chubbier counterparts. It takes energy to worry about your body. Eat well, be active, and your body will do its thang.

End of well-meaning semi-lecture. For inspiration:
    http://www.anitarod****.com/images/ruby_poster.jpg http://realwomenproject.org/sculptures.shtml

Read the poems that go with the pictures. They really helped me love my body for the amazing thing it is, and actually accept compliments on my figure. That was another thing I learned: I saw "fat", others see "voluptuous".
    Hehe, I remember when my son said, "I like you this way, Mom. You have more cuddle-space". Everyone sees it differently.

Good luck, and be well :)
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 17. and I am also Fat and embarrassed which is why I'm so glad I finally joined this website.

You'll get a ton of support here and the tools will help keep you on track. Good luck!
  • Spirit76
    Spirit76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do it I know you can!!!!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That is so cool that you came on here. This site is great with support. If you have any questions, or need help, just let me know!

You can friend me too :)
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm a theater girl at heart too <3. I know how those rehearsal practices are when you're the big girl, and how it feels to have somebody get a part because they "look it", and I've only been considered for a lead in Hairspray (because she's a big girl). This is a great site, and I think you'll enjoy it!
  • jjmorrelli
    Options
    I teach middle school and eat lunch there daily. I watch students load up on pizza and tator tots but there are lots of healthy choices too. Most schools go through sodexo and they have a calorie calculator. All schools usually have a salad bar and veggies to eat. Their chicken isn't bad for you and many other things. It various greatly from schools. check it out.

Tracking your food is so important because you don't realize how calories add up. Don't neglect adding butter, dressings and other condiments.

http://www.balancemindbodysoul.com/balance/campus.asp

Its really sad how society makes us feel. Just remember you control your own mind and can gain confidence with how you look now. We have to stop comparing ourselfs with others because our genetics are different. I teach leadership and discuss this type of stuff with them. Look up stuff on youtube about self-esteem and confidence. I wish I could share some of the videos and discussion with you and more people put the word out there. I'm not saying for you not to lose weight and we all have our issues (me included).

Just last night I was doing a yoga pose on wii fit and was disgusted but again I have the control over that. I gain ed 25 lbs in a year with stress (due to not eating as much) and dealing with my moms cancer.
  • JinnJinn
    Options
    You can do this. Its a mind set and hard work. The main thing is to get your exercise in just being conscience of what you are eating helps. You don't realize the calories you take in until you start counting those calories. Or atleast I didn't. This site has helped me stay on top of things. I started my life style change Jan 7, 2011 and have lost 15lbs. It sounds kinda slow but I have lost inches with my exercise. You can so do this. :wink:
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Welcome!! You've come to the right place!
  • tarahrah
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!! I'm so excited to get started!
  • Livie_Marie
    Options
    Welcome!

You seem like a talented, creative person if you are in a Rogers and Hammerstein musical like Oklahoma! First off, rejoice in what you are good at, and make sure you always give yourself praise for those things. I can see three already: You dance, sing, and act! Triple threat! You look beautiful. There's four! It's hard to feel out of shape at any age but I remember being eighteen and feeling that way a little too. I danced five days a week, and remember being in class with thinner girls. Being in choir, and feeling like a 'blimp' in my dress. The creative and performing arts are a pain in the rear for girls with more to the figure at times. Use all those things you consider embarrassing to be your fuel. You WILL be lifted and look fantastic. You WILL have your outside look and feel as wonderful as who is on the inside. This is like your first set of new clothes, because you have to makeover that inside first.

By developing the habits like logging in each day, researching the cafeteria food for calories and nutrition at school, you'll be getting involved in your health like you are involved on stage. I've been here about a week now and it what a good habit its forming! I've been working out now most of February, and it feels great. Getting started is always the biggest first step, but you can do it. If it helps for motivation, you may be larger now but start now you'll be a little smaller by showtime, more flexible, and have more endurance. Theater is demanding. Imagine you you'll outshine those girls in singing with all the breath control you'll get from working out. Think of how high those kicks will get with more flexibility. Given how good nutrition and working out do wonders for all aspects, you'll be more focused to execute lines and dance moves, your skin will glow, and you'll just be that fire cracker sizzling and bursting all over the place come showtime.

You'll look back on this time and see it as the first hill to climb before you conquer the whole damn mountain, hon. I hope you see there are some goals within your reach now just from doing this little bit, and the long run will be spectacular just like you are. Everyone here is great, and maybe you could get a friend involved to join with you? Two is better than one!

Friend me if you like, and good luck!

Livie
  • casiesnyder
    Options
    exactly what she ^ said!!!! you can do it! :)
  • carollane
    carollane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! We are all here for the same reasons to get healthier! Be sure set small simple goals that you know that you can meet. This will help keep you motivated because you will meet these goals!! We are here for you and know that you can do this. :heart:
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site, this is a great place, and you can do it, Lots of support here to help you to. If you would like some friends you can add me.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You can do this, and now is the best time to start. You are just beginning you life, college, a career, love, and maybe children could be in your future. Who knows, but entering into any phase of your life will be more rewarding if you go into it as healthy as you can be. It's important now and for your future to stick with it. It may take some time, but you are worth it!!!!!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Take it from a girl who has been big all my life.....some may agree with me or even disagree.
    Now, While you are young is the best time to do it. Get into the routine of excersize, running, walking, gym classes - whatever. I wish I did. The older I got the harder it is.......I am 38 now.
    Back when I was younger MFP was not available OR nutritional values were few and far between. I hated WW, it didn't make sense to me.

Now I find it alittle easier. It took me 5 months to lose 50lbs - I have to lose atleast another 150...Yayyy!
    I'll do it - Slowly and steadily.

What I wanted you to know it to keep focused even if you lose sight or fall. Just get up and keep going.

You can SOOOOO do it!!!