SINGLE MOTHER FEELING GUILTY ABOUT WORKING OUT!!!

Options
I am a single mother of a five month old, work full time and commute 45 minutes to work. Most days I can not take extra time out to go to the gym. I also feel guilty when I do schedule workout time. I am going to purchase a jogging stroller and a bike with a trailer for my baby but if anyone has any other suggestions it would be helpful. I need to make my workout time really productive so I am not away from her longer then I need to be.

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    IF YOU HAVE A WII USE IT IF NOT GET SOME VIDEOS MY BABY LOVED LAUGHING AT ME WHILE I DID THEM
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Use your baby as a tool to work out. Make it a game.There are alot of Mommy and me work out DVD's. Check them out. you canlay baby onthe floor and make faces at her and blow onher tummy whatever makes her happy while you are doing leg raises. Use her as a tool but make it fun. Dont feel guilty. It is important that you are healthy so you are there for her. Congrats on jumping into working out so quickly. Wish I would have. I dont want my son to carry the imagine of me being heavy through his life and leaving him thinking its ok to live this way.
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    don't feel guilty for taking care of yourself! by taking care of yourself you are being a better mother!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    videos for now at home - walk and run with the baby when it gets nice. But I would do videos and alternate them to mix it up. She just wants to be with you and I'm sure she will enjoy watching you jump around and huffing and puffing --- she'll probably lie there and kick like mad :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some workout dvd's at home there-that's what I just started doing-I also feel guilty if i'd go to a gym in spare time because kids were already at sitter all day:-(I'm doing the 30 day shred and its an awesum at home workout
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Workout DVDs.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    use your baby as a weight and have her lie next to you or in a jumper while doing some aerobics - I was a single mother for 5 years- sometimes we have to take special time for ouselves so we dont get too overwhelmed
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing from your picture your little one is pretty young? try finding a work out dvd or two that your can incorporate your baby into. there are specialty stuff like mommy and me or you can try including your baby as you do push ups give her a kiss, if older put in zumba and encourage her to wiggle around as you work out etc. In the end though your work out is for both of you and having a long and healthy life together so do what you need to.
  • shan2bthin
    shan2bthin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but I learned to love exercising to DVD's. You can vary your workout and will never get bored by trying a new DVD. Your local library should have dvd's to rent for free or you could jog in place, jump rope, or as you mentioned take your little one outside. If you have stairs in your home, try walking up/down them and set a new goal everyday--the stairs are also good for working your triceps.

Don't feel guilty! Your health comes first and will allow you to be a happy, healthy mother for a very long time.

Best of luck!
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine used to put the baby in one of those harnesses you wear on your body and power walk or jog. The baby becomes an added weight and it's good for bonding too.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I agree with home videos... also, if you want to go to the gym, do it while she is napping, if at all possible.
  • hgunter10
    hgunter10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom too. I always feel guilty for leaving mine in daycare while I take an hour to work out. A lot of times I don't make it to the gym and workout at home. A few DVDs, I also have a stationary bike at home, and a Wii. Wait until she goes to bed if you don't want to sacrifice your time with her.
  • halesar
    halesar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend some of the Biggest Loser DVD's. Just started using the 30 Day Shred with Jillian. It's 25 mins and is a great workout! There are two other advanced level. If you had the time you could do all three... or just still with one segment and you'll sweat a ton.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No no no... Sweet, please do not feel bad. You should say single mother mother feeling proud for working out. I do understand how you feel though as far as the mommy guilt. When I feel that way I just remind myself that I am doing it for him so I can live longer. I had some issues with my heart during delivery and it really put my life in perspective. So when I feel guilty I just remember I am doing it for him so I can live a long healthy life and for heaven's sake be able to keep up with him. LOL :laugh: :laugh: Also you can incorporate some stuff with your child. For example I have an ab workout I do almost every night. He "counts" my sit ups. When he was a little baby I just sat him in his seat or put him in his playpen and talked to him every once in a while. Also when I do my taebo he just knows that is Mommy's time and she will be back in an hour. They get used to it then for them it is just a normal routine part of our day which is fantastic because he is learning how to be healthy. Good luck and know that you are doing the right thing. Also the stroller is a great idea I use mine often and my son loves it!!!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    dont feel guilty..it's not just about losing weight but it is about being healthy! I am a mom of 4 girls and I use to feel bad about taking the time out to work out but honestly I need the stress relief..it makes me a better mom..I have more patince with my kids and I feel better about myself..once you are able to walk with your baby you might feel better because the baby gets to be out and you get your exercise in..it's all good!
    take care...
  • erica767
    Options
    How long of a lunch break do you get? Bring some shoes and walk/jog? You can get in 3 miles in 45 minutes and still have time to eat.
  • Xelisharose
    Options
    I'm in the same position, full time working, student and single mom of a10 month old. I do agree with every one else about incorporating your daughter, but I noticed that I get better quirk outs in if I wait until my daughter is in bed for the night to do my workouts. Our I wake up earlier to fit my workout in before work and my daughter is sleeping.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Do NOT feel guilty. I'm a single mom of a 7 year old. Your daughter is young enough that you are not depriving her of attention. I must also say that you taking care of yourself allows you to be a much better mom. You'll be more relaxed, self-assured, and focused. You need this time for yourself. You are not a machine...not matter how much it sometimes seems. Relax...take a deep breath...and remember that you must be your best for yourself and her.
  • ssickles
    Options
    thank you all for the suggestions;) i think i could def take some weights to work and do some exercise on my lunch break in my office;)
  • iamwildarose
    iamwildarose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would love to go back to the gym but I can not justify in my mind staying away from home longer. I leave for work when they are asleep and by the time I get home there is an hour before we begin the process of getting them ready for bed. I want to see my kids! People are always saying- its just an hour or its only once or twice a week. I just cant do it right now, maybe when they are a little older. You have to do what you are comfortable with. I am doing what I can at home. My kids do love watching me workout, esp if I involve them and have fun with it. It IS hard though. I am definitely not one of those people who feel energized by working out. I work 10 hour shifts and then have to come home- take care of a 2 year old and 1 year old, make dinner, clean the house, do laundry.....it is exhausting just to live. I will do some basic on the floor stuff with them- 5 months is a great age to use HER as a weight. I am using my 12 month old as a weight- hes getting a little too big now, will have to give that up soon! When the kids go to bed I then force myself to do some more aerobic exercises.