Filling Daily Calories

Options
So here I sit, at the end of the day. I have eaten 3 full meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and two snacks. Yet, I am only at about 1100 calories.

So here's my question: I really want a bowl of ice cream. Is it "ok" for me to fill the rest of my calories for the day with a 300 calorie serving of ice cream? I mean, weight loss is ultimately about a calorie deficit, so it shouldn't really matter what those calories are coming from... I've faced this decision several times over the last two months (ie, since I joined MFP) and I am still on the fence about it. I'm definitely going for the ice cream tonight, but I wanted to hear some opinions on this! :)

Replies

• jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issues many times and have often wondered the same thing. I'm sure the right answer is eat some fruits or veggies, but I would say go for the ice cream. If you want it, don't deprive yourself. When I deprive myself of what I want, that's when I quit eating right and exercising all together.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have done that here and there. As long as I'm not doing it all the time, I think it is ok. Just make sure it fits into your day, and allow it as an occasional treat rather than a daily calorie filler.
  • delliam
    Options
    I would think that if you have something more nutritional choose it, but dont deny yourself the ice cream completely, so maybe have a bite or two. That is how I would do it. Well actually that is how I have decided to do it when I am confronted with a choice like that since about 2-3 weeks I thought I could start giving in to those little cravings occassionaly,since I did have cals remaining. Giving in only made me give in more often and I began gaining my weight back. So now I just taste it, because I overall I think it was just the taste I missed. I would like to say that if you have a good low-fat or sugar-free ice cream that would be a better choice too then you could possibly have a whole serving and less guilt =)
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! This is definitely not a daily thing. Most days I gobble all of my calories up! But for some reason today it just worked out that I have a few extra. And I definitely agree -- when I start depriving myself all together, I get fed up and quit. Ice cream, here I come!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    there is ice cream out there that is 50 calories 1/2 cup serving that is good. try to find some. and if you eat 300 calories try to burn the overage off before you go to bed.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Look for the skinny cow icecreams. I found some single serving ones at the store yesterday...i think it's a cup of icecream and only 150 calories. not bad at all, if you need something like icecream....and we all have those days! :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    so technically.. of course. your calories, your choice.
    But the whole goal is health. Your body would much prefer sugar from fruit and carbs from fruit than from ice cream!