I need to lose weight for my wedding!

procraftinator
procraftinator Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all,

I am an active young professional in Pittsburgh. I am almost finished with a part-time MBA program and also work full-time doing strategic communications for the University of Pittsburgh. I like to do so many different things - hiking, kayaking, camping, board games, crochet, plays and musicals, concerts, sporting events...I'm always up for something new and different!

Even though I eat healthily and exercise regularly, I've gained 35 pounds over the past year and a half. It's certainly frustrating to stay away from sweet foods and exercise even when I don't want to, only to get on the scale and find that I've GAINED WEIGHT! This is my last serious attempt to count calories consumed and burned before I make an appointment with my doctor. My wedding is in May 2009 and I have to lose about 15 pounds to fit into my dress!

-Gina

Replies

• Hi all,

I am an active young professional in Pittsburgh. I am almost finished with a part-time MBA program and also work full-time doing strategic communications for the University of Pittsburgh. I like to do so many different things - hiking, kayaking, camping, board games, crochet, plays and musicals, concerts, sporting events...I'm always up for something new and different!

Even though I eat healthily and exercise regularly, I've gained 35 pounds over the past year and a half. It's certainly frustrating to stay away from sweet foods and exercise even when I don't want to, only to get on the scale and find that I've GAINED WEIGHT! This is my last serious attempt to count calories consumed and burned before I make an appointment with my doctor. My wedding is in May 2009 and I have to lose about 15 pounds to fit into my dress!

-Gina
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    You have found a great website... lots of people use this daily and it does help. I'm a registered nurse, and when I read your story, a little alarm went off in my head. There might be something wrong with your thyroid or some other system that is making it so you gain weight and not lose it. Going to the doctor doesn't need to be a last resort--I'd recommend doing this and going to see him/her. Also, I know you will lose you weight! Weddings are the best motivation! Just watch out when that first baby comes :) That is when most of us find ourselves scared of what we see on our scale.
    Good luck to you!
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Welcome! There are a few good threads which could help you understand what's going on. Check this out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

So you've got a dress already! Sweet! You'll fit in, don't worry :flowerforyou: . Good luck and don't even think about giving up! Nonono :smile:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    Welcome!!

In 8 months, you'll have it all off!! It sounds like the only thing holding you back is your eating, so check out the link above and talk to us whenever you need help!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    I really feel your pain. I am having the same problem. I am a physcician, and have been gaining weight since 2002 when I started residency. This is despite continuous exercise and "dieting".

The thyroid is easy to blame, but most of the time this is not the culprit. That being said, I had mine checked just to be sure.

In most cases it is multifactorial. Sleep deprivation can lead to weight gain. And when you're busy, you just don't play close enough attention to what you eat. You will see the truth in this when you start keeping a nutrition log. I was appalled at the hidden calories I was consuming.

Anyway, good luck with your weight and fitness goals. Keep at it and eventually you will be successful.
  • figueres3,

Thanks for the support. My thought is that when I go to see my PCP, she's going to send me off to do some calorie-counting for a few weeks first, so I thought I'd do a little preemptive planning. Also, I do take thyroid medication (I think for hypothyroidism, Synthroid) and started taking it when I started gaining weight, so there may be a connection there.

Thanks,
    Gina
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Gina - if you are taking Synthroid you should be under a docs care and be monitored regularly for your tsh levels. Yes - that is for hypothyroidism. Yes a slow (hypo) thyroid will cause weight gain. Until your tsh levels get into the acceptable range, it will be difficult to lose weight if not impossible and if your levels aren't coming down, you may continue to gain weight. This is a serious issue and if you are taking the medication and not being monitored to some extent - I am yearly now that my levels are under control, you can have major problems. You should seriously consider seeing your doc now and making sure the med is doing what it is supposed to be doing. If you are not on a strong enough dose, they can increase it and you will feel better and stop gaining weight. Plus, then maybe the exercise will help a little again!! Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding!!
  • Welcome - you are at the right spot! This site is wonderful!!
    I am also getting married in May 2009 and am needing to loose weight to fit in my dress! This site is helping me lose weight and not feel deprived while doing so!! Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:

82597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Unfortunately, exercise does pretty much nothing in terms of weight loss on its own, even if you stay away from sweet foods. Overeating on anything--sweet or healthy--will result in fat gain. You always have to monitor your calories to determine whether you're eating more than you're expending--no amount of exercise will cause fat loss if you're eating more than you're burning. It's normal to gain weight at a steady pace as we age; it's what our bodies are made to do.
  • Hi all,

-Gina

Welcome! Congrats on your engagement! what day is your wedding? Mine is May 10, 2009. I'm here trying to do the same thing. This website has helped me out alot and the people here are wonderful! Very supportive! Good luck!

-Liz

• Welcome! Congrats on your engagement! what day is your wedding? Mine is May 10, 2009. I'm here trying to do the same thing. This website has helped me out alot and the people here are wonderful! Very supportive! Good luck!

-Liz

May 30, 2009 in Pittsburgh.
  • Gina - if you are taking Synthroid you should be under a docs care and be monitored regularly for your tsh levels. Yes - that is for hypothyroidism. Yes a slow (hypo) thyroid will cause weight gain. Until your tsh levels get into the acceptable range, it will be difficult to lose weight if not impossible and if your levels aren't coming down, you may continue to gain weight. This is a serious issue and if you are taking the medication and not being monitored to some extent - I am yearly now that my levels are under control, you can have major problems. You should seriously consider seeing your doc now and making sure the med is doing what it is supposed to be doing. If you are not on a strong enough dose, they can increase it and you will feel better and stop gaining weight. Plus, then maybe the exercise will help a little again!! Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

Thanks for the feedback. TSH levels are checked regularly and are in the normal range. I'll see what the doc has to say in a few weeks. Until then, I'll just count those calories!
  • Welcome...You can Do it...Congratulations on the Engagement :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.