Chickpea Curry **Vegetarian

Options
darling_nickie
darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
I got this out of an Everyday Food last year and have loved the recipe ever since. I usually pair it with half a cup of brown rice and/or some steamed brocolli :) Yum! I have also switched out the chickpeas for black beans and it is equally good! For the curry itself I believe it was 285 calories a serving (don't forget to add in any rice or veggies)

Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
Pinch of ground cloves
2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons ketchup
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Chopped cilantro and lemon wedges (optional), for serving
Directions
1.In a large straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until dark brown around edges, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon, and cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, ketchup, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Uncover, and increase heat to medium-high; cook until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 minutes. Serve topped with cilantro, with lemon wedges alongside if desired.

Replies

• teramae
    teramae Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    looks great! thanks for the recipe :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mmm.. I love chickpeas AND curry. Will try this, thanks.
  • ejennifer
    Options
    sounds yumm ... thank you ☼
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Oh hell yeah, this sounds awesome. Not a big ketchup fan but I can substitute that for stewed tomatoes or something. I'll figure it out. Great idea, and I need more vegetarian dishes to add to my dietary arsenal. Thank you. =)
  • theotherkate
    Options
    sounds great, I'll have to try it sometime :)
  • darling_nickie
    Options
    Oh hell yeah, this sounds awesome. Not a big ketchup fan but I can substitute that for stewed tomatoes or something. I'll figure it out. Great idea, and I need more vegetarian dishes to add to my dietary arsenal. Thank you. =)

I hear ya...tomato paste works great too!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ketchup? Now that's authentic Indian! LOL!

Just kidding, no offence it's just a funny ingredient to see in a curry recipie. My black bean and curry chick pea recipe is only 371 cals, 5 WW Points which INCLUDES the 2/3 cup cooked brown rice so I'll stick with that but as always, I appreciate recipe sharing.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Great, I have some of that.:D No one in the house eats ketchup.

Can I substitute ground cinnamon for the sticks? How much?
  • darling_nickie
    Options

Great, I have some of that.:D No one in the house eats ketchup.

Can I substitute ground cinnamon for the sticks? How much?

You know I am not sure...maybe start with a couple tsp and adjust to taste?
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Definitely will have to try!
  • Cava87
    Options
    I made this tonight for dinner with some brown rice and it was delicious! I added one tsp of ground cinnamon instead of the stick, and also when i entered the recipe into mfp it came out to 245 calories (not including rice) :) Thanks for the recipe!