I don't know where to start...

Options
I've got the diet thing down! Exercise...not so much. I don't know where to start. I have two young children and my husband works 60-80 hours a week so there is no hope for going to the gym...

Should I invest in a double jogger stroller?

Work out suggestions welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mikeylikesit1177
    Options
    P90X is great for home workouts. You would love it
  • KaylatheChristian
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone are my favorite workout videos. The moves are simple, easy to follow and it's a great burn :) (oh and it's FUN!)
  • maeghanalyson
    Options
    I'm doing 30 day shred.Its only 20 minutes and my kiddos like to sit on the couch and watch me lol
  • Phoenyxlove
    Phoenyxlove Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 2 year old and watch a 15 month old during the week. I love dong zumba, the 20 minute express is even fun to do when the little ones are there because they try to dance and it's a quick workout. I try to workout during nap time though, you can buy a DVD or video game of you have the console.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    a workout dvd or walking is great. You can get a double jogging stroller and walk your neighborhood or walk them to the neighborhood park.....
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I also do 30 day shred. My hubby is always gone and is not home much to help me. My kids play, eat dinner or just watch me do the workout they love it. They are 3 and 2 year old boys. I have been seeing great results with this workout!!
  • knelson422
    Options
    When my husband was in vet school he was gone ALL of the time. I got a double baby jogger at www.strollers4less.com and I still have it 9 years later. That was such a great investment!! I ended up training for and running a marathon.
    Also, DVD's are great too. I really like Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred" and "No Trouble Zones" (I think that's what it is called). I now have 6 kids, and my husband is still gone a lot. If you have the eating thing down, then exercise is the icing on the cake. I have the exercise down, the eating it tough for me and will be a struggle for the rest of my life. Good luck. Hope you get a good deal on a jogger.
  • shipleyd
    shipleyd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    While a double stroller might be good to invest in here are a few suggestions for when you are stuck in the house and your hubby is at work.

I have Comcast has a cable provider and on their On Demand Channel they offer tons of free workout videos, even some that get the kids involved! Try out several to see which ones you enjoy!

If you don't have On Demand but have a DVR or Tivo maybe set up a few records for some of the exercise programs that come on early in the morning. We also have exercise tv which shows workouts all day long. I sometimes record them at random and if I like them then I keep them for awhile.

Also if you have Netflix, they have DVDs that they can send you and several workouts for instant watching.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • countrymom75
    countrymom75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE TO START EITHER. I JUST KNEW I HAD TO DO SOMETHING. SO I BORROWED SOME RICHARD SIMMONS TAPES AND STARTED WITH THAT AND WALKING ON TREADMILL. WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE I WALK OUTSIDE INSTEAD. THE TAPES WERE MORE MY SPEED, AS I AM NOT VERY COORIDINATED BUT I THINK AS I HAVE LOST WEIGHT I SHOULD START LOOKING INTO OTHER TAPES/DVDS TO CHALLANGE ME MORE. I JUST NEEDED TO DROP SOME WEIGHT FIRST, BEFORE I HURT MYSELF :)
    I PUSH MY SON IN THE STOLLER WHICH USES MORE MUSCLES THEN JUST REGULAR WALKING . SOMETIMES I HAVE A BOY A BABYSIT TOO, I BUCKLE HIM IN THE FRONT OF THE SEAT AND PUT MY SON BEHIND HIM WITH HIS FEET ALONG THE SIDES. WHICH IS LIKE 50 EXTRA POUNDS I AM PUSHING FOR 45 MIN. BUT WHAT EVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO TRY TO MAKE USE OF THINGS YOU ARE ALREADY DOING. USE NAP TIME FOR EXERCISING. THE LESS INTERUPTIONS THE BETTER.
    HOPE THAT HELPS. OH I AM ALSO BORROW wii FITNESS FROM A FRIEND TO SEE IF I LIKE IT. SO FAR IT ISN'T TOO BAD.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone are my favorite workout videos. The moves are simple, easy to follow and it's a great burn :) (oh and it's FUN!)

Agreed. Leslie Sansone is AWESOME! And if you have young babies like me (5 and 1), they like to mimic her since Mommy does :) AND she has many options...1 mile, 2 mile, 3 mile, walk and tone, rock and tone..they are all great! (If you have ExerciseTV on Demand, it might be FREE), or you can go to exercisetv.tv and do them there...

But if you're unable to do any of these...JUST GET MOVING!! it doesnt matter what you're doing...as long as you MOVE! That's the first step...

Good Luck and I look forward to seeing your success!!!!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    is there a gym in the area with child care in the facility?
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Wii console and board for most of my work outs as my hubby was working away m-f.
    we have two girls under 5.
    I'm just now looking at alernatives to the wii-fit plus as I am getting a little bored, so I am looking at ea sports active 2 as lots of folks have said it's quite good, and there is a zumba one that others have also recommended.
    It's great for those nights you can't go out.
    I want to try and join a class, but there is always a chance I won't make it as although based at home, hubby doesn't finish until 7 or later.
    I've only been on MFP for a few weeks, but had been making a real effort since christmas, and with using the wii every day and trying when i do walk, to power march instead of strolling along, taking the stairs etc I am 14lb lighter.
    I started out by just setting my goal of one session a week and then increased it after a few weeks so now i spend between 30-60 on actual work out.

hope some of the suggestions help

T.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...a good stroller helps! I have a treadmill and a couple Jillian Michaels DVD's that I use to get my work out in...just start small. Taking the kids to the park and running around with them is exercise!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

I agree!My hubby works 60 to 70 hours 6 days a week.I have a 3 yr old so it makes it hard.I started with Leslie sansone to and loved it