need advice: URGENT, off topic

Options
my dog was just sprayed by a skunk. is it tomato soup that help dispell the stench?

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Tomato juice, but you were close.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My cat was sprayed by a skunk and my girlfriend went out and got "skunk off". Worked pretty well.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Our vet told us not to use tomato juice because it sticks to the dog's fur and will attract ants. Try this:

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/dog-groomer-salzberg/dog-skunk-odor.aspx
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    Personal experience X6. Dish detergent, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide in water. Internet can give you exact measurements. Works great, not perfect. Tomato juice...no good.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A few of the top ideas for removing skunk odor from the family dog include:

Vinegar and water. There are many who swear by this method for removing skunk odors. The idea is to soak the dog in a white vinegar and water bath, soap him up and then rinse. Repeat the process if it does not work the first time.

Apple cider vinegar and water soak. Substitute apple cider vinegar for the white vinegar to give this one a try.

Powdered douche agents. Many people say this is one of the best methods going for removing skunk odor from a dog. The trick is to use the powdered kind.

Sprite or 7up. This is a remedy for skunk odor that should not hurt a dog's skin or eyes. All it calls for is soaking the animal in soda for a while and then washing normally. Repeat if necessary.

The first inclination after a skunk run in might be to try tomato juice, but many dog owners complain this creates a bigger mess and doesn't really get the job done. The above ideas should not mess up the bathroom or yard too terribly bad and they won't dye a dog's fur.

Dealing with a dog who has been sprayed by a skunk is never fun, but with a little work, Fido should smell like a bed of roses again. Just take steps to protect anything else from picking up the odor of skunk if at all possible.

http://www.skunkodorgone.com/dogsprayedbyskunk.html
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the remedy is, but I can tell you FOR SURE it is NOT tomatoe juice. I tried that once, it was a horrible experience, and did nothing for the smell on my dog!
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    tomato juice and lots of it. My dog and I were sprayed once, we used about a dozen big cans, could have used more but that's all the store had.:smile:
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    add to your goals, get rid of skunk smell. good luck. when I was sprayed, I could still smell it for weeks, even tho other peolple said it was gone. must have been inside my head.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    thanks! we used tomato juice and apple cider vinegar. we'll see how much she stink tomorrow before we try the baking soda solution. i told hubby we should try the douche and he gave me a dirty look (it's his turn to go shopping) so i'm thinking that's a no? lol.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    thanks! we used tomato juice and apple cider vinegar. we'll see how much she stink tomorrow before we try the baking soda solution. i told hubby we should try the douche and he gave me a dirty look (it's his turn to go shopping) so i'm thinking that's a no? lol.

Haha! I had to re-read what I copied and pasted from that website. I'm like *douche* :noway: ............ yep, that's what I read!
    Since it's his turn to go shopping and all, it would definately be humorous to see him looking at his options.
    Too funny! :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Mix up the following solution:

1 qt hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon dish soap

Pour this over the dog and work it into the coat. If you cna leave it on for several minutes, it will get more of the smell out.

Discard ANY unused mixture, as it can explode a sealed container.
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    Ew, so glad I live in England where there are no stinky skunks. :laugh:

The worst my dog smells of is fox or badger poo which she delights in rolling in. And that humongous smell can be washed off with ordinary doggy shampoo.
  • AshleyS24
    Options
    Tomato juice definitely doesn't work...trust me my friend got sprayed by a skunk and he said all it did was cause plumbing problems in his bathroom. It might be worth researching it a bit on the internet. I've heard that what Atlantique suggested works fairly well (but then again I thought tomato juice was the magic ingredient as well). I would try the hydrogen peroxide method first and then if that doesn't work I would buy something that's guaranteed to work like http://www.fastskunksmellremoval.com.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Tomato juice, coca cola or vinegar all work. I have heard coke is the best and doesn't leave everything red. Wash with coke, then wash coke off with soap and water (maybe rinse soap with vinegar to remove all of it) Good luck

I have had a friend get sprayed by one while running cross country, coke worked and even took the smell out of her clothes and hair.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Personal experience X6. Dish detergent, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide in water. Internet can give you exact measurements. Works great, not perfect. Tomato juice...no good.

Do this one!!! it works
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i just bought a de-skunking shampoo from petsmart. then i shampoo'd her with axe shampoo for men to make her smell yummy:) good luck!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe on the internet using baking soda, peroxide and dish detergent I had to use it in the summer it worked, the tomato juice does not I have 2 dogs and they both have been sprayed a few times.