7 Weeks and No Weight Loss???

Options
Hi All,

I am fairly new to MFP and a buddy of mine joined at the same time, I have had some descent progress so far, but she has not been so lucky. Basically we are doing a modified version of Body for Life, modified to make it a more tolerable program. We both had done it before several years ago and it worked really well, but the diet restrictions were pretty hard to keep up with, so in the spirit of making this a lifestyle change rather than just another diet/exercise program, we are essentially doing the best we can to eat healthy, while still allowing a few indulgences and taking 2 meals a week (generally on the same day) where we "take a break." Unfortunately, I'm afraid this attitude may be derailing her progress. Obviously, we have preconceived ideas about how long it should take before we start seeing some descent progress, so after 7 weeks of eating well, and exercising 5 days a week, she's pretty upset that she hasn't actually seen more progress. She just finished a bridge to 6K program, which has her running 3 times a week, then she also throws in 2 days of strength exercise. I was hoping you guys could take a look at a typical day from her diary below and give some recommendations, or just general words of advice.

With the exception of the marshmellows as a snack, this is a pretty typical day food wise fr her:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber

Eggo Fiber Plus - Waffles, 1 waffles 80 15 3 2 5
Eggs - Egg , 60 g 70 0 5 6 0
Eggs - Egg Whites (Large Egg), 2 egg white cooked 34 0 0 8 0
Morning Star Farms - Maple Flavored Sausage Patties, 1 patty 80 5 3 10 0
Maple Grove Farms - Sugar Free Maple Flavor Syrup, 1/4 cup 30 12 0 0 0

Fruit - Banana - Medium 7 - 8" (115g), 1 Banana 105 27 1 1 3
Mcintosh - Apple - Medium, 154 g 80 22 0 0 5

Morning Star - Chik Patties Original, 1 patty (71g) 140 16 5 8 2
Thomas' - Bagel Thins Everything 110 Calories, 1 bagel 110 24 1 5 5
Kraft - Fat Free Mayo, 1 tbsp 10 2 0 0 0
Sauce - Pepper, tabasco, 1 tsp 1 0 0 0 0

Chobani Greek Yogurt - Blueberry Non-Fat 0%, 1 container 140 20 0 14 1

Magic Hat - Beer, 24 oz. 306 28 0 3 0
Nature's Own - Whitewheat-Hamburger Buns, 1 bun 100 22 1 5 4
Walmart - Extra Lean Ground Beef 96/4, 4 oz (112g) 150 0 4 24 0
Hellmann's - Light Mayo, 1 tbsp (14g) 35 1 4 0 0
Kraft - Cheese- Cheddar, or American Fat Free Slices, 1 slice 25 3 0 4 0
Tasteful Selections Honey Gold Potatoes - Tiny Potatoes, 7 Potatoes 80 17 0 3 3

Mini Marshmellows 2/3c - Walmart Great Value Mini Marshmellows, 100 8 0 1 0

Totals 1,676 222 27 94 28
Your Daily Goal 1,812 248 60 67 21
Remaining 136 26 33 -27 -7

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

All the Best,
Merrick

Replies

• LMPRF97
    Options
    Hi you should eat mor walories and so the shred from jilian
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: it might be a good idea to eliminate the Morningstar Farms, waffles, syrup, beer, mayo, cheese, bagel thins, potatoes, and "taking a break" , and add broiled chicken and lots of vegetables.
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Almost everthing on that list is a processed food, that's not healthy! The key to success is to exercise and have a healthy diet of clean foods. Keep foods simple and as close to it's natural state as possible. All the chemicals in processed foods is what's making society obese. Here are some suggested reads: Clean Eating by Tosca Reno and the Flat Belly Solution by Isabel De Los Rios.
    Good luck!
  • jill_wa
    Options
    You're doing well and should keep it up. Being aware of food intake is step 1.

My first thought upon seeing your food diary is that there is tons of processed foods. Buy whole foods that don't come in a package or a box and make them yourself, if at all possible. I know that's really hard in today's world. Buy food from the source, such as a farmer's market and make 5-6 full days of meals yourself.

Second thought, try to get some sort of aerobic exercise 5-6 days/week.

Third, Try setting some specific food goals e.g:

calories: 1350
    sugar: 40
    sodium: 2000

Fourth, eat more fiber (at least 25 g /day). It will fill you up and keep your blood cholesterol at a healthy level.

I applaud you for thinking about healthy lifestyle first, weight loss second. This will serve you in the long run.

Good luck and I hope you continue your path towards good eating and exercise.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: it might be a good idea to eliminate the Morningstar Farms, waffles, syrup, beer, mayo, cheese, bagel thins, potatoes, and "taking a break" , and add broiled chicken and lots of vegetables.

Yep, 86 all that and eat 50% more real food "Veggies" and drink at least 2 litters of water a day and you'll be straight
  • LifeMeansSoMuch
    Options
    This is coming from female by the way. I have been in your situation before and it is the hardest ever when you arent seein results. Because its like water weight week yes yes loosing a pound a day then after u stop lol. BUT whatever you do DO NOT stop exercising and watchin cals. What happen to me was i was doin everything right and one morning i woke up to every single thing i own bein too tight! Imagine how frustrated i was. Little did i know my period(which was a week in a half away) was causing the extra pounds. Well that discouraged me so much that took a long break, stop eatin healthier and watchin cals, stop doin jillian etc etc. And now i regret it because what I had before was a routine and even though i have gotten back on my feet some what i still havent fully "recovered" from that incident. Its now harder for me than before to wake up and have my mind on doin jillian when i get home after school and to remind myself of my calories intake of 1200! So dont quit!!! ITS A HUGE NO NO!
    Also, i havent really lost any weight nor have i bothered to check. because on a scale of 1 to 10 i'd say my progress is a sloww 5-, soo take my advice and dont GIVE UP:flowerforyou:
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    The processed foods are guaranteed to be high in sodium. High amounts of sodium can affect many processes in the body, but its most well known effect is causing serious water retention. If your cells are clinging to water, you will not see weight loss. And, if your body isn’t receiving nourishment—through living enzymes in real, unprocessed food—it’s not going to perform optimally or even well.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    could she possibly substitute 4oz of ground turkey for the ground beef. it only has 118 calories vs. the 150 of the extra lean ground beef Country kitchen Light Wheat buns (80 cals), Martins Light whole grain potato buns (80 cals),
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Eat more turkey and fish. I have replaced beef with turkey. Turkey is healthier than beef and some say better tasting. I eat different flavors of oatmeal for breakfast (instant oatmeal about 130 calories per package) and have a nice sandwich for lunch with some baked chips like baked doritos. (turkey, pepperjack cheese, lettuce, tomato and pickles on Natures own sandwich rounds is about 210 calories and the lunch sized bag of baked nacho cheese doritos is 90 calories. That leaves you with a decent amount of remaining calories you can eat for dinner. Also drink alot of water. I have been at this since the new year and I am progressing pretty good with out any exercise. (that will start soon : - ) ) Just keep up the good work and it helps to work with friends and to have a strong support system.

Another thing to do is to take your measurements every few weeks. You may not see a difference on the scale, but you could have possibly lost inches from your body. (A trainer friend told me that) Especially if you are working out and building muscle.

4889244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • better4you
    Options
    Sounds like your friend is relying on too many prepared-type foods, which are generally full of sodium, starches, and sugars. And BEER, hello :) too many empty calories to be dieting on. If she has to have it...how about trying12 oz. maximum. Do away with the cheese unless using a cheese stick for a quick protein snack. Try to switch the potatoes to cauliflower. Hope all helps :)