How long till I see results?

dubess
dubess Posts: 14
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing circuit training at the gym, brisk walking on a treadmill - for about 3 wks but my weight is not going down. how long before i start seeing the scale go down? i've cut calories, cut out all the sweet stuff but still - nothing. my scale sits on the same number (at home and at the gym).

thanks

Replies

• I've been doing circuit training at the gym, brisk walking on a treadmill - for about 3 wks but my weight is not going down. how long before i start seeing the scale go down? i've cut calories, cut out all the sweet stuff but still - nothing. my scale sits on the same number (at home and at the gym).

thanks
  • this might help. variation in intensity does the trick for your metabolism. and maybe start converting your walks into runs. what do you mean by brisk? what speed? and how many calories do you consume? all those have to be considered.

Let Your Body Do the Work

Just as the Cheat to Lose Diet uses the hormone leptin to fool your body into thinking you're eating more than you really are, there is an equally effective exercise trick that will fool your body into thinking it is exercising more than it is. This trick is mixed-intensity training (MIT), a technique in which two minutes of moderate cardio exercise are followed by two minutes of strenuous exercise. The secret is that MIT increases postexercise oxygen consumption, the time when your body absorbs more oxygen and increases your metabolism as a result of physical activity. Running on a treadmill at a steady pace will burn a certain amount of calories, but once the exercise is completed, your metabolism returns to its baseline level quickly. With MIT and the resulting heightened postexercise oxygen consumption, your metabolism stays high hours after you're done working out — so the body continues to burn calories as if you were still exercising, even while you're resting on the couch!
  • bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    I have been seeing the same thing - lots of workouts and healthy food but no results. This should help. I would appreciate any other advice you can give!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    I've been doing circuit training at the gym, brisk walking on a treadmill - for about 3 wks but my weight is not going down. how long before i start seeing the scale go down? i've cut calories, cut out all the sweet stuff but still - nothing. my scale sits on the same number (at home and at the gym).

thanks

Go to the general discussion thread and look for THE answers to THE questions..thread....maybe you NEED more calories not less...( I know it sounds strange, but I've been eating MORE and have lost 5 lb in the month I've been here...) Following the collective wisdom of the folks here, awesome group that they are!
    Ezzie
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Shorerider wrote a thread under the introduce yourself topic. It is Once again... there is to many of you... or something like that. Anyhoo she put in alot of links for beginners to read that has some very good reading in it. You should take a look at it.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    I have been seeing the same thing - lots of workouts and healthy food but no results. This should help. I would appreciate any other advice you can give!

Yuliya, no offense, but if that is you in the picture and this is very recent, then could it be that there's nothing to lose? I mean, could it be that you're just awesome and wanna be skinny? Probably this is not the typical answer to give here, we're not here to judge who is what.

On the other hand, just read on some thread something about watter retention when you begin training. Someone gaining instead of losing, while saying she was eating right and training some. Browse some of the recent posts and you might find it - banks is very knowledgeable and his messages are really good.

Good luck!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Shorerider wrote a thread under the introduce yourself topic. It is Once again... there is to many of you... or something like that. Anyhoo she put in alot of links for beginners to read that has some very good reading in it. You should take a look at it.

Connie

86258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Yes, this thread is a great one!

As for the number on the scale, it could be water and it could be that you're losing inches. Measure! Check if you have had to take up another notch on your belt. Are you cinching in your bra? these things happen before the number goes down for many of us.

For instance. When I weighed 170 and had zero muscle tone my waist measured 34". i weigh around 180 now, but I am gaining muscle tone and my waist is smaller.

So, really, there are more things to rely on than that dang number on the scale! :wink: Don't rely on that.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member

Yuliya, no offense, but if that is you in the picture and this is very recent, then could it be that there's nothing to lose? I mean, could it be that you're just awesome and wanna be skinny? Probably this is not the typical answer to give here, we're not here to judge who is what.

On the other hand, just read on some thread something about watter retention when you begin training. Someone gaining instead of losing, while saying she was eating right and training some. Browse some of the recent posts and you might find it - banks is very knowledgeable and his messages are really good.

Good luck!

Everyone has their reasons for being here. All we can do is encourage them and point them in the correct direction.:flowerforyou:

Yuliya, you're lovely! Welcome to MFP!
  • ok, how do i find the thread? have looked but can't find it.
  • this might help. variation in intensity does the trick for your metabolism. and maybe start converting your walks into runs. what do you mean by brisk? what speed? and how many calories do you consume? all those have to be considered.

Let Your Body Do the Work

Just as the Cheat to Lose Diet uses the hormone leptin to fool your body into thinking you're eating more than you really are, there is an equally effective exercise trick that will fool your body into thinking it is exercising more than it is. This trick is mixed-intensity training (MIT), a technique in which two minutes of moderate cardio exercise are followed by two minutes of strenuous exercise. The secret is that MIT increases postexercise oxygen consumption, the time when your body absorbs more oxygen and increases your metabolism as a result of physical activity. Running on a treadmill at a steady pace will burn a certain amount of calories, but once the exercise is completed, your metabolism returns to its baseline level quickly. With MIT and the resulting heightened postexercise oxygen consumption, your metabolism stays high hours after you're done working out — so the body continues to burn calories as if you were still exercising, even while you're resting on the couch!
  • can you explain more on the MIT? are you saying to do some walking/bicycling for a few (no running for me - knee trouble) and then do two minutes of walking or biking uphill?

thanks
  • Don't get too discouraged by this answer but I did body for life and didn't see results for about 4 weeks. But then...wham-o - it seemed as though I lost about 5 pounds overnight. Keep up the good work.:flowerforyou:
  • i'm trying but getting a bit discouraged. i'll keep at it.

thanks
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    I am right there with ya- I have been here for months and watching everything I am eating, working out a lot,etc. Now I am focusing on strength and have decided to measure to see some results. I only have about 10 to lose but have realized I cant rely on the scale and I want to keep my muscle so I am also going to take pics of me to try and see a difference when one happens.
    I also realize it is about health no my exact weight.

Still some days when all people are posting is about losing weight- it can feel lonely so make sure you have lots of goals in mind- inches, if you are a binger- days not binging or upping your veggie intake. etc,etc

Stick with it!
  • have you ever tried back the body for life treadmill workout? This is what it looks like....It's 20 minutes long. I don't run fast becuase I have bad knees - here is what I do...goes by quick and makes you sweat. If you want to make it more like outside, run at a 1.0 incline.

min 1 warm up at 3.5
    min 2 warm up at 4.0
    min 3 jog/run at 5.0
    min 4 jog/run at 5.5
    min 5 jog/run at 6.0
    min 6 jog/run at 6.5
    repeat minutes 3-6 3 more times
    minute 19 - giver....as fast as you can for 1 minute
    last minute cool down.
  • In my case there seemed to be a consistent delay between the time I was working hardest to reduce / burn calories and the time that the scale finally showed results. This can be VERY frustrating until you start figuring it out. I began performing "experiments" and found that if I focused on working REALLY hard for 2 or 3 days (i.e. I exercised harder/longer and I ate smarter), that I still wouldn't see any difference in weight until 2 days later.

So you might start playing games with yourself to see if you can change something drastically for a short period of time and then see if it had some delayed effect. Heck, if nothing else, it's good to break up the routine!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.