Injured Runner - need motivation to Cross Train

Options
I just finished my 2nd 1/2 marathon on Sunday and was informed by my doctor that I can't run for at least the next 2 weeks. I can't stand not moving, it drives me crazy!

I'm a runner, always have been, always will be. Cross training bores me; I can't find something that gives me the same feeling of accomplishment as running.

Any suggestions?!

Replies

• gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Swimming. It will work under utilized muscles and take stress off the bones and joints.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I can totally empathize! I was training for a marathon last year and tore my calf muscle six weeks before - so frustrating!! I don't know what kind of injury you have but I did spin classes at the gym and "deep water running" at the pool until I was able to get back on the streets.

But sorry to say - neither activity gave me the same satisfaction as running....they were just attempts at keeping my cardio levels up. Good luck - and I hope you heal quick!

Shelly
  • Jenn080203
    Options
    You should try Turbo Fire!! It is sooooo much fun!! Just to go www.beachbodycoach.com/coachnickel and check it out. She uses Interval Training and the music is THE BEST!!
  • andreapoole
    andreapoole Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, too, and I feel your pain. I hate it when I can't run. Can you walk or does it have to be non-weight bearing activity? If I have to take time off of running, I usually prefer to just walk. I put a good audiobook on my ipod, and that makes it a little more bearable. Or, if you have a friend that will walk with you, that helps, too. Otherwise, I guess it's swimming or rowing, both a hassle if you don't have a pool or access to a rower. Sorry, I know this doesn't help much. Take care so that you can be back at it soon!
  • ashleylevans
    ashleylevans Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

I have, wait for it...an impinged fat pad in my knee. I thought the doctor was trying to tell me something the first time she said it. Basically, I'm in a lot of pain, have been for over a year, and there isn't anything they can do about it. I have tried not running, clearly that doesn't work. So far I don't have any major restrictions (no weight on my leg, etc) just that I can't run.

I knew at mile 10 I was in deep trouble, but kept going. I think I'm going to hit the pool this week and see how that works out for me. :smile:
  • nadine2unfit2bqueen
    Options
    I've been training for my 2nd half but I keep getting injured so I've cut back to only running 3days/week. My new favorite cross training activity is Squash. I always thought it looked silly but I let a friend talk me into trying it and I'm hooked! So fast and fun and a good way to bond with a pal :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!

I have, wait for it...an impinged fat pad in my knee. I thought the doctor was trying to tell me something the first time she said it. Basically, I'm in a lot of pain, have been for over a year, and there isn't anything they can do about it. I have tried not running, clearly that doesn't work. So far I don't have any major restrictions (no weight on my leg, etc) just that I can't run.

I knew at mile 10 I was in deep trouble, but kept going. I think I'm going to hit the pool this week and see how that works out for me. :smile:

You could also try Yoga or Pilates!

Back when I was running a great deal, I started doing Yoga and it was a huge challenge! It's really helpful for hardcore runners, too, as we tend to have unique challenges with some muscles getting very short and tight while others are barely used.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

You could also try Yoga or Pilates!

Back when I was running a great deal, I started doing Yoga and it was a huge challenge! It's really helpful for hardcore runners, too, as we tend to have unique challenges with some muscles getting very short and tight while others are barely used.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Ditto to this. I'm training for a full, but I do a yoga class every Saturday after my run (with a long run then on Sundays). It's always nice to switch it up and it really stretches out those hamstrings/hips that get so tight from running.

I've not been lay off injured before *knock on wood*, but I'm cringing just thinking about your pain. Best thing though is probably to follow doctors orders so it isn't 2 months instead of 2 weeks. Good luck!
  • exercisarah
    Options
    I feel your pain - SO MUCH! I recently injured my knee, I don't know what's wrong with it, but I've been to the chiropractor and I've been wearing a brace and it isn't doing anything. I've literally just been so frustrated that I've started crying. Running helps me in every aspect of my life, so this is a huge challenge for me.. :/ ugh! I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred in the meantime until I can get into the doctor. Even though It does make me sweat and it is challenging, It's just not the same. Hang in there!
  • ashleylevans
    ashleylevans Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for a yoga groupon in Austin - seeing as I have little to no balance, grace, or finesse, this should be VERY interesting!
    I also own the Jillian Michael Shred -- holy workout in 30 minutes! I sweat like no other just on the first level...can't imagine what level 2 or 3 are going to do to me.

Sarahalfson -- I saw 4 different doctors for my knee and the only one that has actually helped me is the natural chiropractor. I used to shrug off the wholistic thing, but, I've learn to not knock it til I try it...it works!

I'm feeling better about not being able to run, and now I have all these great ideas!