Heart Zones - most beneficial training zone

Options
SO, I just got a HRM and for the first time I know what my heart rate beats at during my workouts. A little background info:

CW: 142
Calculated Max HR: between 185-190

My average HR during my cardio workouts is 160. On a Heart Rate table that I have it says that I am in the 80-90% range. It says that I am burning 60% Carbohydrates and 40% fat.

Is doing a higher intensity workout is as beneficial as staying at 70-80 percent of HR, burning an equal amount of fat and carbohydrates?

Any information is MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks!

Replies

• Baregravity
    Baregravity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    there are several schools of thought on this subject. but what it really boils down to is what your overall objective is. whew, i personally try to follow the advice of Dr. P Maffetone, which has me keep my heart rate under 180-age. for me it is 180-38=142, but i am wanting to become a long distance runner so i want to be able to not burn the sugars up but rather burn the fat. By also keeping my heart rate under 142 and being consistent my heart has gotten stronger, so that the amount i could run say a couple of months ago, i now can go further in the same time; the heart muscle is getting stronger thus making me more efficient.
    another idea is that by doing high intensity it sometimes becomes too much too soon for some and so they have a tendency of falling back into their old habits. but on the other hand if you can stick with it and are able to handle the high intensity and you are stretched for time then yes this is a very viable plan.

good luck!!!
  • Yosemite4vr
    Yosemite4vr Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! This helps a lot!