Anyone else a "Bad Snacker"????

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
Ok, so i'm really doing well in the short time I have been on the site. I watch what I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, BUT.....my problem is the snacks!!

I just don't want carrots, celery, or healthy things for snacks....I crave sweet or salty. I force myself to eat healthy, however, I'm just not satisfied. Today I had a bunch of cheesedoodles (I just had to )

Any suggestions??

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    Ok, so i'm really doing well in the short time I have been on the site. I watch what I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, BUT.....my problem is the snacks!!

I just don't want carrots, celery, or healthy things for snacks....I crave sweet or salty. I force myself to eat healthy, however, I'm just not satisfied. Today I had a bunch of cheesedoodles (I just had to )

Any suggestions??
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweet/salty person too.

I really do get satisfied after an apple wtih peanut butter. It's my favorite snack. the sweet and salty granola bars are good, but high calorie. I do have them every now and then.

I also like pretzels, but after watching what I have eaten for a while I realize that straight carbs really wipe me out an hour or so after eating them.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    What about the 100 calorie packs by (I think it's mr.christie) they're called thinsations??
    I eat a bag of those when I am dyiiinnngg for something sweet!
  • nikii14
    Options
    I'm a sweet/salty person too.

I really do get satisfied after an apple wtih peanut butter. It's my favorite snack. the sweet and salty granola bars are good, but high calorie. I do have them every now and then.

I also like pretzels, but after watching what I have eaten for a while I realize that straight carbs really wipe me out an hour or so after eating them.

I LOVE apples and peanut butter, I also make a "trailmix" of raisins and peanuts to satisfy my sweet/salty. I have a problem limiting the amount I eat. I try to drink more water hoping it will fill me up, but it doesn't seem to work.

Pretzles do the same to me as well....
  • nikii14
    Options
    What about the 100 calorie packs by (I think it's mr.christie) they're called thinsations??
    I eat a bag of those when I am dyiiinnngg for something sweet!

I always walk by those in the grocery store because Im afraid I will eat the whole box. :blushing:
    I guess its better to eat that then my cheesedoodles..huh??

Where is my will power????
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I also don't bring any more than 1 day's portions to work. I have snack size baggies and I think they are best thing that has happened to me in a long time! I only bring what equates to one portion in each snack baggie. So I don't need to worry about my will power at work, I only need to worry about pacing myself.

That being said, I am starting at a new job in a huge corporate complex next month. I am so nervous about vending machines..... :noway: I don't have any where I am at right now. I hope I don't find any for a while.
  • rhondababy
    Options
    Yes! Snacks are a hard problem. The hundred calorie packs are good, or "Pirate Booty", which is yummy, and cheesy, and you can have quite a lot for 130 cals and 5 grams of fat (really tastes "bad"!).
    Sometimes it's hard to control portions of certain types of food, and no matter how hard you try you just can't eat appropriate portions. If you can figure out if this is your problem, and try to eliminate, or at least carefully watch how and when you eat these foods it may help.
    I know that I can't eat certain foods without risking triggering a binge, so try to avoid them, but occasionally do eat them, but in a setting where I can't have seconds (like a restaurant).
    Another thing that may help is to journal your feelings when you are craving foods that cause you to over eat- maybe you are comforting yourself with food....
    Good luck. I have struggled with this problem my entire life, but am determined not to give up trying! Feels good to know we're not alone.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    oh man... i was a bad snacker today...
  • nikii14
    Options
    I just made myself a salad which (surprisingly) satisfied me!!
    Its not really a snack since its 9:00pm and I never had dinner...oops

lettuce (obviously)
    diced apple
    shreedded honey turkey
    and maybe a tbs of italian dressing

I got both sweet and salty and my mind and tummy are very happy!!!
  • amieliamy
    Options
    hey there well I have the same problem with sweets that you do... here is what I did...I went out and bought those 100 cal snacks they have a whole bunch of them and they are REALLY good, they have kettle corn popcorn and thats my favorite.... they also have chocolate covered rice cakes that I think are great...give those a try and you might find that they will stop your sweet tooth :) GOOD LUCK
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    My husband is a perpetual, chronic, habitual snacker.......we started on this site together in September, and have both lost over 15 lbs. To help us with the snacking issue, we stock the cupboards with 100 calorie snack packs and low sugar granola bars (90 cals each). He told me one particularly "weak" day that all these 100 calorie snack packs are giving him carpal tunnel from having to open so many a day!! :noway: :bigsmile:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posts. I have a bunch of 100 cal snack packs. Right now I have the Reeses/Hersheys packs. The Orville Redenbacher popcorn is good, too if you are craving salt. You can have a whole bag (the light butter) for not much or you can get the single serving size bags and have the "real" stuff, just a smaller portion, for not too many cals. Good luck. I don't know one person who doesn't struggle with this. I know I do. :flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Another thing that's good...they are called Nilla vanilla wafers (I think also by Mr.Christie) and they have the low fat ones...I get those and I can eat 8 of them and they have 2 g's fat and low calories...etc =o)
    They are good when you're really wanting something sweet, but not TOO sweet.
    I drink lots of water with them so that I get full faster...but yeah- the 100 calorie packs and those are great!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I also like Quaker Chewy chocolate chip granola bars with 25% less sugar. They are 100 calories and satifiy my HUGE sweet tooth. Chocolate and ice cream is forbidden from my house because I will eat it all.

Out of sight, out of stomach!!!
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Quaker Chocolate Chip 25% Less Sugar granola bars are good (My little ones love them too), but I find myself wanted to go for a second one all the time- I do better snacking on an apple w/ peanut butter or a handful of whole almonds- Blue Diamond has great little 100 calorie packs which I love. Nuts are a great snack because they fill you up- just make sure they're not salted :)
  • terriberri
    Options
    i'm bad about snacks too. and during pms time????:noway: oooyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:devil: also...i'm 14 days into quitting smoking, so the snack attacks are really bad. like you...i crave salt mostly. i don't eat sweets due to being pre-diabetic. but this weekend, while i shopped, i bought three different, healthy snacks and i'm going to try sticking to those only when the attacks come on.

i bought fat free popcorn for the salt craving.

made sugar free strawberry jello, and put fresh bananas in it.

and i got those 100 calorie snack packs from nabisco.

i figure that gives me a few choices right? today is the first day i'm really cracking down on myself, so iwe'll see if i can do it...lol.