Gain. Eek! Help!

Options
Ok, following advice from MFP peeps, i have upped my calorie intake to 1400 (net) inclusive of exercise in the attempt to repair and increase metabolism etc, with the goal in mind to finally reach my goal (approx 14lb loss).

In the past week i have seemingly gained 6lb, but am oblivious to how this is possible. I am dong approximately 600 cals of cardio a day, and am eating those calories back, equalling a 1400 cals a day net.

I'm a ittle freaked as to how this can happen as im still in calorie defecit, nd havent consumed an excess of 3500 cals x 6 (the 6lb gain).

Im aware that my body could be holding on to this as water retention etc, but my urine shows as yellow (dehydrated) Im a little more than confused. help!

Help! :/

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how you have not gone over on your calories, there is no way you gained 6 pounds of fat (that would be pretty difficult even if you did eat badly). It's water, sometimes our bodies react strangely to a change, give it a week or two and things will even out. And I'm assuming you're a woman (if not I'm sorry, my work computer won't allow me to see people's user pictures for some reason) but if you're near TOM that can definitely have an affect on the scale.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    The colour of your urine is not an indication of yout hydration level. merely the recent activity of Kidney function
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    Thanks guys - no im a guy. Lol i just get worried when my weight does odd things like that. Its a bit disheartening.

Ive discovered there are alot of things that make me hold water, salt etc being the usual. Alot of other things can also though, such as artifical sweeteners, and maybe lactose. Its one hell of a roulette wheel.

Suggestions for shedding the wateR?

thanks keefy - ill bear this in mind. :D
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    As a foot note I once cain 7 lbs in one day, I assume stress caused this as I had heard some really bad news of a friend comitting suicide, took a week for the weight to return to normal.

I wad logging my eating and exercise at the time and had nochange but the following morning after getting the news I had an increase of 7lb.
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    Hmm, dont have an awful lot to be stressed about... I am however (in hindsight taking some meds my doctor prescribed me called "turbinafine". Reckon it could be this?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - no im a guy. Lol i just get worried when my weight does odd things like that. Its a bit disheartening.

Ive discovered there are alot of things that make me hold water, salt etc being the usual. Alot of other things can also though, such as artifical sweeteners, and maybe lactose. Its one hell of a roulette wheel.

Suggestions for shedding the wateR?

thanks keefy - ill bear this in mind. :D

Are you drinking enough water? If your body gets all the water it needs, it won't hold on to it. That's the best way to shed water weight (though I am guilty myself of not drinking enough, but hey it's easy to tell other people to) :smile:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Just looked up the medication and it doesn't look like weight gain is a side effect, though I don't know if they would put retaining water as a side effect.

Where the conditions for weighing the same in both cases? This can easily modify your weight in the short term.

Why would you want to shed water? You will still have the same amount of fat either way, the only difference would be the number on the scale. Don't fret about the supposed gain, it could also be that you were dehydrated before and now you are not. I say keep at what you're doing.
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    Hmmm, after daily oblutions i have lost some 2.5lbs of it. There may be yet more to comes ill warrant.

One thing i forgot to ask, is it possible to also gain muscle weight / mass in a shorter space of time. I do some weights in some of my exercise routines (although not alot).
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    One guy on here posted that he gained 12 lbs of muscle in 3 months doing nothing but hard core lifting (averages to 1/4 lb per workout). I highly doubt you are doing anything like he is, though if you are new to weights you may see a slightly higher gain (guestimating on that one). Not for sure what you meant by "daily oblutions", but if you are weighing daily then that is definitely part of the problem. You should only weigh yourself once a week so as to not drive yourself nuts. Too many things can cause fluctuations over such a short time span.
  • dolphinstar106
    Options
    On the subject i last weighed myself a week ago.

As for daily oblutions i mean trips to the toilet etc.