MFP calories burned vs machine display

Options
There is a HUGE difference in the calories when I enter my exercise into MFP. 30 minutes on the elliptical MFP says is 658 calories. The elliptical itself (after I enter my weight) says 170. Why is there that huge of a discrepency and which should I believe?

Replies

• jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I never use the MFP count,But I average out my HRM and machine to get my calorie count.Get an HRM.it will help alot
  • lisastevens27
    Options
    I Posted the same yesterday. I went with what the machine said :)
  • microem1
    microem1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hiya mines the opposite on my elliptical machine it says I burn 511 calories in 20 mins.... where as MFP says I burn 168 in 20 mins!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    MFP sounds way off but the elliptical machine itself seems off as well. MFP too high, elliptical too low.

Myself, I tend to burn roughly 115 calories on the elliptical for 15 minutes and I am 5'5" at 130ish.

I would highly recommend getting a heart rate monitor (HRM) so you will have a better estimate at how many calories you are actually burning. A HRM with a chest strap would be the best.
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I would get a HRM and use that number, get one that has a chest strap. yes MFP says 658 or something like that for 30 minutes of elliptical versus my HRM ( polar FT4 ) says about 370. so im going with my HRM reading.
  • Alison_84
    Options
    Mine is the opposite too.. the machine tells me I burn ~400 cals in half an hour, MFP tells me 325!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    agree with Jewelzz. The MFP is an average someone with your stats would burn. The machine is reading your actual heart rate and giving you an amount of calories burned by the stats you put into the machine, your average heart rate and the duration of the work out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To be on the safe side, if you don't have a HRM uses the lowest option.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I post what the machine says....and for my Zumba class I go with what the trainer says and take away about 150 calories from the total because I know when I push it hard and when I don't
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    Maybe that is why the macine is off I cannot reach the handles for the heart rate reading. So the whole time I am on the machine it "reads" my heart rate as 90
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MFP uses an average number it doesn't take into consideration the incline or resistance you've used... MFP is always too low for me... but I use full incline and 80-90% resistance going about 12-13 mph.... just something to consider is how much you push yourself on the machine
  • Orska
    Orska Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also - it's important to enter your weight/height information into the machine. Overall though, I agree with the other commenters, a heart rate monitor with a chest strap is the way to go. It tracks your calories accurately.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Without your VO max its just a guess, so keep using one or the other to maintain consistancy
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    MFP can run a little on the high side. With machines - you get an accurate burn number with the ones where you enter your gender, height, weight and possibly resting heart rate (??). I'm not sure on that one. I have an old treadmill and I don't enter anything so I can't go with the burn number on the machine.

I do have an HRM though. If you get a good one with a chest strap you can get a pretty accurate burn.
  • Liz55
    Liz55 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This was awesome to read everyone; I had posted this as my status yesterday on my MFP page. I made the right choice and went with what the elliptical said. The elliptical is reading your heart rate as well as knows all your info, therefore I would think it is more accurate then MFP. Keep up the good work.