protein ideas?

Options
i am making zucchini 'pasta' in alfredo sauce tonight (the recipe is here - http://everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com/2011/02/zucchini-pasta-in-alfredo-sauce.html) and it takes up the majority of my calories, plus is very filling.

however, i have 40 calories left and 59 grams protein (absolutely ZERO carbs). any small ideas to add to my supper (meatless meal)? i am drawing a blank.

thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    eggs, greek yogurt come to mind
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Cheese? Sprinkle kind for pizza.... May not be much in protein but to keep within you calories for the day???
    Hey, Aren't you the cheese girl?
    Good Luck!!
  • BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites, good source of protein, very few calories.
  • glenna221
    Options
    Some type of beans - but these will add carbs. (White beans are often good with pasta). You could also add some meatless alternatives like those made by Boca.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    40cal left and you need to eat 59g protein?!? With 40cal you can have 10g protein as 1g protein = 4cal. Just add a chicken breast in there. Tons of protein, and while you may go over your cal needs at least you're getting the protein. Any reason on the alfredo by the way? With two cups of cream, you're having a lot of fat. How's zucchini marinara?
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just make some egg whites in the microwave when I need some extra protein for the day.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Egg whites or tinned fish (canned salmon isn't fatty, so its pretty low in calories). That's pretty much it for low cal, high protein with no carbs. Unless you have some protein powder hiding in a drawer somewhere that you feel like choking down...with water...
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Hey, Aren't you the cheese girl?

hahaha. i *am* the cheese girl. :)
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    40cal left and you need to eat 59g protein?!? With 40cal you can have 10g protein as 1g protein = 4cal. Just add a chicken breast in there. Tons of protein, and while you may go over your cal needs at least you're getting the protein. Any reason on the alfredo by the way? With two cups of cream, you're having a lot of fat. How's zucchini marinara?

it is a meatless meal, so no thanks on the chicken breast. :) i don't need to eat 59 grams of protein. that is what i have left because i am already over (70 grams) on my carbs. and the reason for alfredo is because it is tasty. the fat content doesn't bother me. i may in the future try zucchini pasta in marinara, but probably not since i already include zucchini in my ragu. thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Some type of beans - but these will add carbs. (White beans are often good with pasta). You could also add some meatless alternatives like those made by Boca.

i meant to eat some chickpeas with my salad for lunch but i forgot. :) oops!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Egg whites or tinned fish (canned salmon isn't fatty, so its pretty low in calories). That's pretty much it for low cal, high protein with no carbs. Unless you have some protein powder hiding in a drawer somewhere that you feel like choking down...with water...

honestly, if it weren't a meatless meal, i'd open up a can of tuna. i love that stuff! :)

several people gave the suggestion of egg whites and i just can't picture working them into the pasta dish or as a side. maybe i will just eat them after the meal is over? not sure.

i wish i had a protein powder of some sort to sprinkle over the top of the pasta. i used to have some, but i ran out and haven't replaced it yet.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Damn that recipe sounds good.
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    Sorry if this is too late, but for the future - LENTILS! They have 15g of Fibre and 14g of protein per 1/4 cup!
  • iamkatyg
    Options
    Prawns????
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Maybe to allow for protein you can sub in fat free half and half and skim milk for some of the cream? I have made sauces for mac and cheese, and for other creamy sauces using this sub, and it works great.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Sorry if this is too late, but for the future - LENTILS! They have 15g of Fibre and 14g of protein per 1/4 cup!

you are a genius! wish i would have thought of that last night. :) i just had green beans with it and said 'fagetaboutit' on the protein.
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Maybe to allow for protein you can sub in fat free half and half and skim milk for some of the cream? I have made sauces for mac and cheese, and for other creamy sauces using this sub, and it works great.

thanks! good to know!
  • godblessourhome
    Options
    Damn that recipe sounds good.

it. is. utterly. heavenly. :)
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options

you are a genius! wish i would have thought of that last night. :) i just had green beans with it and said 'fagetaboutit' on the protein.

And you could just mix them in with your sauce or whatever too - lots of ways to "hide" lentils since they don't have a whole lot of flavour. I'm a fan of google when it comes to recipes involving lentils. There's lots of soup recipes with different flavours, but you can use them anywhere. Even good as a side just sauteed with garlic and spice in some olive oil. :smile: