Polar FT4 Owners- What to Set Zone At?

ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I bought the Polar FT4 and put in my height, weight, age, ect, but wasn't sure what to put my training heart rate zone at so I left it at the settings it was already on (120-170) However, my heart rate average is 166 with max at 188. My time in the zone for a 50min workout was 30mins. I did Insanity Max Plyo yesterday and watch said I only burned 434 calories. Was hoping for better calorie burn results than 434 with Month 2 of Insanity. Is my zone for heart rate maybe not set correctly so it is showing a lower calorie burn than what I am truly getting? I was pushing myself and sweating so bad then to look at my watch and only see 434 calories burned when I burn alomost 200 just doing Just Dance for 30mins

Replies

• irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,141 Member
    I can't help you, but thought I would suggest maybe going under search and seeing if you can find something under there? I'm getting a polar watch next week and hoping to find out what people have to say as well. Hope you like it - I'm looking towards the ft11
  • Make sure you have your starting Age and weight set correctly. Being in Anarobic state for that long you are burning fat directly. Don't worry so much about the calories out, as you work out, you body will adjust and burn less. Suggest you stagger your workout. Try interval training which will raise and decrease your heart rate over the same period. Not only will your oxygen intake improve, but your metabolic rate (which dictates how your body uses energy) will also improve, allowing you to burn more calories and allowing your body to become more efficient at burning calories when you are at rest.

Calories burned on heart rate monitors are averages anyway, they are not 100% accurate as each person is different. So take what you see on your watch with a grain of salt. If you feel you worked out hard, chances are you did!

Good luck!

X
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    fundamentally its the average heart reat you are looking at that dictates the calories used a diffferance of 5 beats per minute over an hour's exercise increases my calories burn by 100 Kcal
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    I am wondering if anyone has any insight on the original post. I was on the elliptical level 6 for 30 minutes and it said I only burned 189 calories. I was working as hard as I could (I weigh over 300 lbs) I wondered if because I wasn't in the preset zone it wasnt calculating correctly. I have to have burned more than 189 in 1/2 MFP calculates over 600 and other calculators say the same thing
This discussion has been closed.