Any good food out there???

Options
I have alway exercised and eaten whatever i wanted but now I am ready to start eating good foods. I need help!!!! Can anyone suggest some good tasting foods that I can add as a new item for myself to eat. I mean snacks, dinners, lunches, breakfast (although I think I got breakfast covered :smile: ) I usualy eat this:

Walmart brand high fiber oats & chocolate bar
Special K protein snack bars PB & Chocolate
Pringles Fat Free Chips
Dannon light yougurt
Kellogs Fiber Plus chewy bars
Oatmeal
Lean Cusine (any)

I see everyone on mfp seem to be doing very well and I'm having some isses with my food choices. I have wasted a lot of money on healthy, low fat foods that do not taste good. I need lunch and dinner ideas....Please help! OH by the way!! I do not cook very much either so if you have a recipe for me I hope its a short one...lol :laugh:

Thanks MFP Family!!!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Walmart has some off-brand egg rolls made of shrimp and lean chicken. They are excellent :o)
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I find dried fruit very convienent. I just recently discovered dried Kiwis and I love them! Nuts also make great snacks. Just pre measure them out ( same for the fruit they will push up your carb levels). I usually pack up whatever leftovers I have from supper the night before for lunch the next day, and each week, I make up a big bowl of romaine, spinach, and other greens. Then all you have to do is chop up tomatoes, cucumbers, onion or whatever for an instant salad. I even have mini containers to put my dressing in on the side. Good luck
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I won't eat food unless it's delicious!
    In my mind, food is best when it's kept simple. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, whole-grain breads, and just making better choices, like whole wheat or multigrain pasta, leaner proteins, and plenty of good snacks in between to keep you feeling satiated.

Please feel free to friend me and take a look at my diary for ideas!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I had trouble at first.....I'm still in the process of getting more variety in my diet....the suggestion on the message boards here were a great thing for me...
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    almonds, dark chocolate, carbonated flavored water
    (i eat kudos 100 caorie bars when i really need chocolate)
    marshmallows (if your in a real sugar fix)
    oatmeal of basically any kind is good and filling
    carrots with hummus... or any veggie with hummus is amazing!
    Bananas are about the most convenient thing ever! and if you need some peanut butter on them thats good to- just watch how much you are using!
    hard boiled egg is a great snack sometimes if you are craving it! salt and pepper on top makes it even better!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    This is super-easy! I replace the chicken thighs with boneless chicken breasts to improve the nutritional values (haven't plugged that into the recipe calculator here yet though).

http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Rosemary-Baked-Chicken-with-Potatoes.aspx

Like you, I'm not much of a cook. McCormick makes these little cards that have all the spices in the quantities you'd need to make a dish one time, and the back of the package is a punch-out recipe card. I've tried a few of them now and they're all pretty tasty!

However, they have most of the recipes on their website as well.

If you don't have a full array of spices at home, you may want to buy a couple of the cards to try out a few recipes without buying $30 of spices. Once you get a sense of what dishes and seasonings you like, you can just buy the right spices and keep on making them!
  • knighttrain74
    knighttrain74 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of brown rice with dinner, mix it with some chicken or fish and it's pretty filling and pretty low on calories.... just add some seasoning and a vegetable and you have a great dinner!
  • spoonfulofsara
    spoonfulofsara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Chobani greek yogurt. It's low-cal, fat-free, and it has 14g of natural (non-soy) protein, which is amazing for yogurt! It also tastes great! I mean greek yogurt has it's own flavor and is much thicker than the dannon you'd be used to, but for me it helps me hit that protein mark easily. And I agree with others... try to stay as close to natural food as possible...fruits, veggies, etc, and the biggest things is plan out your meals ahead of time so you are less likely to just grab whatever is in front of you.
  • sommer454
    sommer454 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mmm those sound good thanks!
  • MommaToFour
    Options
    Just an FYI...keep an eye out on the sugar and sodium count of the foods you just mentioned. The only item on your list that I would touch is the oatmeal.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of brown rice with dinner, mix it with some chicken or fish and it's pretty filling and pretty low on calories.... just add some seasoning and a vegetable and you have a great dinner!

I do a lot of brown rice to. Its easy to give a mexican or asian flair. For asian get some of those steam in a bag mixed veggies and mix some sesame oil, or soy sauce with it. I love to use brown rice, canned black beans (rinsed and drained), corn, cheddar, and salsa to give myself a mexican food fix. I'm vegetarian (well, I eat fish), and I find this very filling and a great protien source. Brown rice is also great when I'm craving comfort food, and so is whole grain pasta. Again veggies and a jarred sauce works wonders. You can also add chicken or something. I live with two carnivores, so I have learned to adapt my recipes for all of us.
  • wygans
    Options
    I recommend trying to find a replacement for the chips. I understand that they're fat-free, but they offer absolutely NO substance. Popcorn would probably be a better alternative. I understand the snacking is tough to cut. The Snickers marathon bars have been a lifesaver. Fresh fruit wasn't doing it for me, so I bought the popcorn.

For yogurt, try using Greek yogurt. If you're working out, then the protein is much better and I actually think it tastes better. I also use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream (in everything).

Have you tried the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers? My girlfriend doesn't like them as much as I do, but me and her mother really like them. In that one area of the freezer section, you'll find several choices of meals that are each about 300 calories. You can find similar calorie counts in other items (pf changs, tgiFridays, etc), but the fat content on those items is through the roof.

The other thing I've done is put soups in my diet. I buy smart salad, bread and sandwich ingredients (mustard, no mayo......turkey, no roast beef........sugar free preserves, not jelly) and pair them with soups for lunch. Soup is full of vegetables and water. It is a great filler. For soup, I still like Healthy Choice, but you can't really go wrong on that isle unless you're getting New England Clam Chowder or those extra hearty Chunky-type soups.

Hey, I'm no expert. These are just some of the things that have been passed on to me. Good Luck.
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    SOme of my lunch favorites include tuna! I put it over fresh spinach as a salad or I hollow out a tomoato and stuff it in there. (just go easy on the mayo!)
    For dinners, I usually make some kind of chicken breast or fish, and even ground turkey. There are some delicious recipes for turkey chili that are low cal and if you make a big pot, you can freeze some so you can eat it other days.
  • leebluejay
    Options
    Well, I think cooking is half the battle--there is so much sodium and other stuff in pre-packaged foods. That's not to say I don't eat pre-packaged foods, but I try to cook (or assemble) at least one meal per day. My favorite bread is Arnold Dutch Country Whole Wheat--it's not low in calories, but it tastes good and is a complex carb so it's better for you. A low cal option is Pepperidge Farms Light Breads (the pieces are thinner and a little smaller so it helps keep the carb levels down). My favorite healthy meal lately is Tuna Salad Sandwiches. You can put whatever you want in them, but I use
    -1 can of Starkist Tuna in water (drained)
    -1 hard boiled egg white (cut the egg in half and discard the yolk), chopped
    -10 slices of dill pickles, chopped
    -1.5 tablespoons of Miracle Whip
    Everyone makes their tuna salad differently and mine is very dry so you can add more Miricle Whip if you want. If you use mayo, I would suggest a light mayo as mayo is VERY high in fat. Anyway, I just eat about 2/3 of my tuna salad on 2 pieces of bread and eat the rest with some Baked Lay's.

The most healthy meal is baked chicken, though. I made it taste good my marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes prior to baking. I get Perdue Fit & Easy Chicken Breast as it is healthier than most and tastes better. As for marinades, experiment to see what you like, but I like A1 Chicago Steakhouse, A1 Cajun, Lawry's Louisinana Red Pepper, and Lawry's Sun Dried Tomato. My husband likes Lawry's Teriyaki. Marinading your chicken breasts--I just use a gallon sized storage bag, pour in a bunch of marinade and squish it around to make sure all is covered, then put in in fridge until ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. When you're ready to bake, put reynolds wrap on a baking sheet (easier to clean up) and place the chicken on the sheet, then pop in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken. When you take it out, make sure you either use a meat thermometer or cut open the chicken to make sure it is white (not pink) as you don't want to eat raw chicken. As a side, I generally just make Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, or steam some veggies (or get a can if you're in a pinch).

Hope you find these two helpful!
  • sommer454
    sommer454 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks these are helpful.
  • chubby1978
    Options
    Holy cow that's alot of sugar! One thing that has helped me kick my weight loss into high gear was to keep it simple. I try to eat foods as close to their natral state as possible. I find my self way more hungry if I eat a lean cuisine over a grilled chicken breast on a bed of fresh vegies. Hope this helps! ;)
  • nxsulli
    Options
    I highly suggest cut up fresh fruits! They are the best snack, and if you want creamy, add some greek yogurt with honey. The processed snacks you list are unfortunately high in salt & sugar, which are addictive substances which cause you to want to eat more! I eat them, but only rarely. As a special treat. Stick with mother nature's goodies and you can't go wrong.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    - greek yogurt with fruit
    - laughing cow cheese wedges for crackers, wraps, sandwiches, etc.
    - veggies and dip or hummus
    - scrambled eggs.. on a wrap with salsa and avocado.. It looks weird but it is so good!
    - spaghetti squash in place of pasta for spaghetti
    - stir fry -- careful with rice, be sure to read how much an actual serving is, if you fill it with lots of veggies though it will fill you up without overloading on carbs from the rice

Now I'm hungry!
  • jacyrod
    Options
    Well working full time and going to night school can wreak havoc on my cooking time so I love going to Publix; in the fresh meat section they have fresh packaged ready to cook sea food, chicken and meats I love it! In the summer they have kabobs and other fun summery stuff...it's a very convenient option bc it already comes in a pan to put in the oven so no clean up :) and I love getting the Green Giant Veggie steamers as sides...makes for perfect easy meals!
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Emerald and Blue Diamond have flavor roasted almonds that make great snack or I add mine to yogurt or my oatmeal. Popcorn is a great suggestion I saw mentioned. I like string cheese too.

Perdue makes those Short Cuts are already made and easy to add to a wrap, salad, or bed of veggies! They have come in handy when I need something quick. When I have time I like to fry 'em up in EVOO and some grillin' seasoning. I love the turkey and original chicken.