Newish and Frustrated

Options
I came across this site a couple of days ago, and I've started logging in all my food per day trying to meet my caloric goal of 1200. This is my problem:

Drive 1.5 hours to work
Work for 9 hours
Drive 1.5 hours home

So already 12 hours of my day is dedicated to work.

My next problem is my actual job. I work Desk Security, and as a result I can not leave the building to get food, which limits me to bringing something, or getting delivery.
I have to eat at my desk, or they take 4 hours off my paycheck per week for lunch. (Not going to happen).
I am not really allowed to use the refrigerator to store my food, cause its for their employees (I'm contracted).
I am not allowed breaks except to go to the bathroom, or to warm up my food, all which should be less than 5 minutes.

I've been working this job for 10 months now, and I love it to death, its almost my dream job, but I've noticed i've started to gain weight cause all I do is sit all day, and of course I have bad snack food with me to tide me over until I get home for dinner. Especially since my last job was a very active on your feet for 8 hours a day running around getting things done job.

And of course once I get home, and the sun has set, its not safe to go jogging in the neighborhood, or i'm just too tired to do anything and want to fall asleep as I have to wake up around 5am. Its hard to get motivated to do curl ups or push ups, ect.

I have started bringing healthier foods to work, such as eat breakfast (since i never used to) which is weight control oatmeal, but I'm not sure what to do for lunch, since it has to be something that can't spoil, but is healthy for you, and thats filling. (cause sitting at a desk all day just brings out the cravings.)

I'm not very overweight, but I am out of shape. I'm hoping to loose some of the weight I have gained the last 10 months, and loose some of the weight i've picked up since I graduated high school.

Replies

• lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hmmm 12 hrs for work + 8 for sleap = you have 4 hours left. Do you have excuses for abusing your body in those four hours too? Or, is there maybe something constructive you could do that would move you toward your desire to be more fit? And... are you allowed to bring in a few hand weights to the job? You don't need a gym or play field to get a work out....
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hmmm 12 hrs for work + 8 for sleap = you have 4 hours left. Do you have excuses for abusing your body in those four hours too? Or, is there maybe something constructive you could do that would move you toward your desire to be more fit? And... are you allowed to bring in a few hand weights to the job? You don't need a gym or play field to get a work out....
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It seems to me what is more important,your job or your health? Once heard my parents talking[was younger] about Dad's job & he was concerned about status. Mom said to him at the time "What do you think people will remember you by, your career or what type a person you are?" Never forgot that! This was 20 years ago. Always put your life in perspective, is health more important then your job? Remember thay can always replace you in a second, but your body is another matter! Think about it!!!:wink:
  • RunWithJess
    RunWithJess Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always eat a good hearty sandwich for lunch... whole grain bread, turkey and every veggie I can load on it. It would be something easy to bring to work with you. Or the Healthy Choice little soups - my hubby likes to take those to work (in fact he keeps a stock in his desk for days he's running late and forgets to pack a lunch).

Keeping active at a desk is hard! I've heard of people sitting on exercise balls (instead of a chair). Good Luck!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you'll look up the NIOSH or CDC websites, they have exercises you can do at your desk. They're mostly stretching type things, but they'd be better than nothing. Can you bring a set of hand/ankle weights and do curls and such?

Here's a link from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-at-your-desk
    Here are more suggestions for exercising at your desk: http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfacts_display.aspx?itemid=3052

For food, you can buy a good insulated lunch box or even a cooler that will let you bring all kinds of healthy options along. Healthy sandwiches, salads, fresh fruits like apples, oranges and bananas, leftovers from home -- the healthiest I ever was, my lunch every day was half a tuna salad sandwich, an apple and a soda (I was also riding my bike to work, but carrying a small lunch as a result -- I bought my soda on-site). If you don't have time to prepare something, check whether there's a Subway near your workplace that's open for breakfast. They have their full menu available, specifically so that people can stop in and get not only breakfast, but a sandwich to take with them for lunch, and they have some healthy options.

Good luck and best wishes to you!
  • inoclu
    Options
    There are lots of things u can do while ur at work! While sitting in ur chair u can do leg lifts, keep ur tummy tucked and sit up straight. Use your chair and push up ur arms. I had an intense desk job and was able to use these techniques..my coworkers thought I was crazy but it worked. Also try parking as far away from the entrance as possible..power walk in and jog out. Hope I didn't annoy you with suggestions! Good luck!
  • Koekei
    Options
    I'm tired in those last 4 hours, and like to catch up with my family. I do try and work out of the weekends though.

No, unfortanitly my security desk is out in the open in front of the client, customers, and other employees, so no balance balls, hand weights, ect. I'm not even supposed to have anything other than finger foods, but I already told them they didn't have a choice.

My health is important, but my job is important too. Its not that I'm horribly overweight or anything, I've just put on a few extra pounds, and have noticed it, and want to stop it before it comes a habit. And since I've decided to diet and exercise I've decided to go down to one of the healthier weights in my level.
    There are lots of things u can do while ur at work! While sitting in ur chair u can do leg lifts, keep ur tummy tucked and sit up straight. Use your chair and push up ur arms. I had an intense desk job and was able to use these techniques..my coworkers thought I was crazy but it worked. Also try parking as far away from the entrance as possible..power walk in and jog out. Hope I didn't annoy you with suggestions! Good luck!

Not at all, anything I can do via exercising thats not noticible to other people when I am sitting down is always a great suggestion =) thanks!
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think you do need to commit to the change, but make little ones first. Are you allowed to bring a cooler? I use one every day even though I have access to a fridge. Do you have access to a microwave? Do you go shopping for the week, and if so do you plan what you are going to eat? What is your intake of processed versus fresh? Before you even start exercising, you should get you nutrition settled. Once you start eating right you will have more energy and will be able to make changes for exercise. I haven't even started working out yet (starts 3/1) and I've lost 40 lbs since 1/1/2011 just by monitoring what my intake is. Use the tools here to see what your BMR is and then set your calorie goal for 500 calories less than that. DO NOT go under 1200 calories per day.

Next step, once you start feeling better set a date to start exercising. You do not have to go to a gym. Take a look at the Body By Jake website. His latest thing is the Tower 200 used by such people as Randy Couture former UFC champion. This machine comes in a 30 lb box, sets up in minutes, and only needs a door way to work. No screws, no modification, no fuss. It includes 2-3 workout videos that are either 11 minute workouts or 21 minute workouts. Believe me when I say you will see the results. This thing works on resistance band training and goes up to 280 lbs of resistance if needed.

Lastly, it sounds like you aren't happy with your current situation. Are you actively looking for something else that will make you happier? By all means don't just quit, but do you have a plan? It sounds like you are a committed guy at work, it should't be an issue finding something you like to do...employers love committed workers. Just saying..

Either way, I hope you find what works for you! Good luck!

Matt

Pennsylvania
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary you are eating TONS of prepackaged unhealthy foods (muffins, candy, icecream sandwiches, velveeta mac and cheese) get yourself a ice pack an an insulated lunch bag and anything you bring should be ok.

You are also eating oatmeal first thing in the morning. Try eating a dairy and some fruit (yogurt and fruit, cottage cheese, etc) carbs that early in the morning is setting yourself up for disaster later in the day when you burn through it an are hungry again.

Good luck!
  • monakowal
    Options
    It sounds like you are setting yourself up to fail. First change your mindset. This is a lifestyle change and not an excuse as to why you can't lose the weight. Get a small cooler and us it for your lunch. Putting in ice packs will help keep it cool enough for a good sandwich and salad as well as other vegetables. Also fruits like apples that are high in fiber will help you to feel full. I would suggest getting fish oil supplements and vitamin C to help with the cravings and help to lose the "belly fat". Most importantly be sure to move when you can, even if it is to get up and stretch or to do some deep knee bends. I can't believe they won't let you go to the bathroom or walk around the inside of the building. There are labor laws that you should perhaps check into. Seriously, you need to decide this is really something you want to do and stop making excuses because you are setting yourself up to fail. You can lose the weight and we will be there to help you if you want us to, we've all either been there or are going through it ourselves. Good luck and let me know how I can help. I've fallen off the wagon and am getting back on now so I know how you feel.:happy:
  • jamgal789
    jamgal789 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's hard enough balancing work and family...then throw a 3 hour round-trip commute into the mix. Man! I applaud you trying to do something about creating a healthy lifestyle.

It's understandable that you'd want to spend those 4 hours in the evening with the family. Could you do a quick 20-30 minute workout? (Beach Body offers a lot of options.) Is it feasible to incorporate a healthy family activity into that time?

For lunch (not sure if another already suggested) -- Get a large insulated lunch box. Prepare cold foods you enjoy and cut into finger-food sizes. For instance you could cut sandwiches into 4ths. Not sure whether you're an omnivore or herbivore but some finger-type snacks could be cheese sticks/cubes, lettuce/deli turkey/cheese roll-ups, healthy bars (like Zone bar, Cliff bar), cut-up fruit and veggies of course....

Without understanding all the dynamics and nuances, It's easy for us to say get another job that allows you to enjoy the healthy lifestyle you want. At the same time, I agree with another poster who said that you have to consider what's most important - your job or your body. They can replace you if you quit or (God forbid) die tomorrow. No job is worth your family or your health. (I've not had your exact struggles, but I've had tremendous conflict with my job and its effects on my family and me. I let my job go.)

All that being said, I truly empathize with you. And I hope that you find some workable suggestions from this thread.

All the best!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Can you bring a cooler to work? You could bring in lunch in the cooler. The other thing that would be a huge benefit to you, is to cook your meals in larger quantities one day a week and bring left overs to work. It will save time and money and then maybe you could afford to lose one or two hrs for a break to take walk. (maybe 2 days instead of everyday.)

people spend all kinds of money on diet food and simple things. If they just prepared ahead of time they would save more money.

Do you have to sit behind the desk? You could make sure you stand for 15 minutes of each hour. Then you could do some minor toning exeercise without anyone knowing. When no one is there just go up and down on your toes, or do squats.

Best wishes
  • dizzdigia
    Options
    Hi there, I have a few suggestions that may help you out. First thing in the morning and right before bed (or as soon as you get home before you lose your motivation) dedicate about 15 minutes to do 3 reps of this circuit. Do each one for 60 seconds and then rest for 10. Start with jump rope, jumping jacks or side skaters to get the heart pumping and help wake up! Then do crunches, squats, push ups and finally lunges. After youre finished start back at jumping jacks and work your way back. I do them in this order so that im constantly having to get off the floor or get back down which adds to its effectiveness.

For easy on the go snacks I suggest deli meats. I get 1 pound each of the low sodium ham, cajun chicken and smoked turkey. I then prepack them for the week. I put 4 slices of each in sandwich bags so I can grab and go. Each bag is 140 calories, 28 grams protein and no carbs!. I also get the 4oz cups cottage cheese (55 calories, 3 g fat, 7g protein and no carbs) Low fat cheese sticks, Emerald Almonds 100 calorie packs (cocoa roast is really good!) Dannon carb and sugar control (50 calories,3 carbs). Anyway, I could sit and list my food all day but that may or may not help you! LOL

I suggest staying away from breads and pastas. They are bad carbs and go straight to your midsection! (my opinion). Aim for drinking half your body weight in ounces of water. Stay away from fruit juice, opt for real fruit instead.

Best of luck to you and if you want more help or ideas just let me know! :)
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to actually do something 12 days in a row to get the hang of it and after the 12 days it just turns in to routine. Believe me, I am a full time student and work full time and have just started this. It is a struggle but you should try it out for 12 days just do a 20 minute work out before taking a shower in the morning (trust me this will really wake you up). Try Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred (got mine at Target for like $12). It is literally 20 minutes and maybe further down the road you will find time to workout for longer.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary you are eating TONS of prepackaged unhealthy foods (muffins, candy, icecream sandwiches, velveeta mac and cheese) get yourself a ice pack an an insulated lunch bag and anything you bring should be ok.

You are also eating oatmeal first thing in the morning. Try eating a dairy and some fruit (yogurt and fruit, cottage cheese, etc) carbs that early in the morning is setting yourself up for disaster later in the day when you burn through it an are hungry again.

Good luck!

Actually, I find that oatmeal is one of the few carbs I can eat in the morning that WON'T make me gnaw-my-arm-off hungry an hour later. Oatmeal is almost as good as protein for hunger control. But fruit and yogurt first thing in the morning would be a disaster for me because of all the sugar.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    There is a lot of good advise here. And by people who have been in simular type situations.

It seems as the biggest thing you can do to help your current situation is make a plan and do some research. Look at some of the sites and see what exercises you may be able to get by with doing at work behind your desk. Also cheat and take a 'bathroom break' evey hour or so and while you are in there away from the clients do some streaches or wall ups or something for a minute- even jumping jacks! Anything to get your blood flowing.

A small lunch cooler shouldn't be a proplem. It can go under your desk or even in a drawer. But if it is then you will need to research what healthy options you have left. And just try them. Keep the cooler in your car and have a healthy meal on your way home so when you get there you won't feel as tired or have to take time to prepare something.

Also if you eat a good for you 'snack' every 3 or 4 hours you won't get those cravings or be so hungrey.

We are all here to help any way we can. Best of luck to you & let us know how it's going! :smile: