Soup

Options
Hi everyone! I was so happy that Progresso light chicken soup was only 140 calories for the whole can and MSG free. However, when I was reviewing daily totals my sodium was high. One can of soup was 1,320 mg of sodium-WOW-lucky I have low blood pressure.
Have a great day everyone.
Nina

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Chug that water to offset the sodium!!

Great day to you!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most canned soups are the devil in their sodium content. Try making a large pot of homemade soup on the weekends and freezing it and eat it throughout the week.
  • FairlyLisa
    FairlyLisa Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you do that you have to make sure you use LOW SODIUM BROTH - or you end up with the same problem.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I make soup either in the crock pot or on the stove and eat it for a week - healthier, tastier, and better in calories/sodium. Not to mention, cooking can be sort of meditative :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You can make your own and freeze it. I either use a low sodium broth, or I will use the regular prepackaged stuff but water it down more than it calls for and add extra saltless spices like cayenne, or some blue menu or mrs dash options.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you do that you have to make sure you use LOW SODIUM BROTH - or you end up with the same problem.

You don't have to use broth at all or use 1/4 broth 1/4 water and use veggies and spices to add flavor
  • ninapturner
    ninapturner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will use my crock pot and low sodium bases with more veggies! Have a good day.