I need some good low cal recipes that my kids will eat

Options
mrsmooset
mrsmooset Posts: 5 Member
I'm fed up of cooking different meals to suit my diet, my husband and the kids. Some days I end up cooking 3 or 4 totally different meals. Can anyone suggest anything suitable for a 5 year old that would work well for me too??
What family meals do you all do? Something easy would be nice!

Replies

• lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    www.parenting.com kids fun meals
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    I've been looking for some healthy meals my kids will eat as well. Surprising my kids, all 4 of them, LOVE brocolli sauted with gralic, butter and sprinkled with sea salt. You may be surprised and your kids may love it too.
    If I find any good meal I will pass them your way.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    My kids like roasted veggies, I make all my own spag. sauces, I use ground turkey instead of beef, brown rice and sweet potatoes instead of white, homemade beans for tostadas, (I bake the tortillas). You can make all kinds of changes in what you fix and they will eat it. Just look at revamping your recipes to make them lower in calories etc.

I look up a bunch of stuff online them tweak it to what will work for our family. I never would cook a separate meal as I'm a mom not a short order cook. :)

Hang in there. When my kids realize that what's for dinner is what's for dinner they generally eat it. If they really don't like what we're having they're welcome to have a PB & J as that's the alternative in our house. I'm not going to make them eat anything but I'm not recooking.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes pasta with meatballs and salad. I just make sure I have more salad than pasta. She loves broccoli, so we have that a lot. Soft tacos are great.

When it comes to foods she doesn't want, we give them to her anyway. It can take up to 12 tries before a child will like a new food, so just be persistent. Our rule is that everyone eats whatever is cooked. I know my daughter won't starve if she doesn't eat all her dinner, and I also know she's more likely to eat the food if we're all eating it.

My husband and I have different goals, I'm trying to lose weight, he's trying to gain muscle. He eats a lot of snacks that I wouldn't eat, but when it comes to meals he eats what I make. Sometimes he'll make his own food, but if I cook, he eats. That's all there is to it. I won't make special meals for everyone, it's ridiculous to do that.
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    you should only be cooking one meal, and one meal only, if they dont like it then tough luck, they gotta learn to eat whats given to them. My sons learnt that, He wont eat and an hr later hes asking for snacks and i dont give in, im not a short order cook.

Make things like pastas, tacos, homemade grilled chicken burgers,maybe have a night where your kids choose the meal and do what you can to make it more healthy if its something thats not healthy (eg. chicken fingers. make homemade ones!)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    In theory, you should just prepare the healthy meal that you want to eat and serve that to your family. You decide what is healthy and what the family should eat; and they will learn to eat healthy too. However, you can cater a little bit to their preferences; if you want steak fajitas but the kids really prefer chicken to steak, then making chicken would be a better option.

I find that my 2 year old doesn't mind dinners that consist of a lean protein, veggies and good carb. I always try to offer him those 3 things. some protein sources: grilled or baked chicken, salmon, homemade turkey patties. Veggies: steam, grilled or roasted veggies (keep offering veggies that they don't like, eventually, they may just start to eat them). Good carbs: potatoes, yams, quinoa, farro, brown rice, etc.

I don't use sauces and such when I cook; I like to keep it light and clean and just flavor with spices when I can. I may sprinkle cheese on foods to get my son to eat them or offer catsup for dipping. If I am making something that I know my son wont like (but I really want to make it for me and my husband), I keep it simple for a meal for my son. Something like mixing some black beans & corn (from cans, low/no sodium) and sprinkle with cheese. Then offer a side of veggies or fruit.
  • timetoshrinkk
    Options
    You can try making kids favourites such as chicken nuggets and fishcakes from scratch so easy and you know eaxactly whats going into them nutrition wise..also alot better than the shop bought processed types. Instead of fries you can make butternut squash or sweet potato fries..i prefer the butternut squash :) Simply cut into strips or 'fries' and put on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil if wanted and season, roast in oven for around 20-30mins. They have the same texture and shape as fries and are ALOT heathier..they are lovely!

Home made pizzas are good also, you can make your own dough with strong bread flour (i use wholemeal) but you could do 50/50 wholemeal/white to suit kids tastes, some quick yeast and water or olive oil, rest to allow it to rise and then knead it out. Pick your own healthy toppings such as fresh mushrooms, pepppers, onions, grilled chicken and use fresh tomato paste and low cal half fat mozarella to top..pop in oven till nice and crispy. Its also fun for kids to make there own pizzas, letting them help put toppings etc on :)
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I have a 7 year old who will eat most things. Also a 5 year old who only eats pasta (plain), cheese, bread, and fruit. Won't touch meat or veggies. We just put it on her plate anyway and sometimes she tries it. We tell her she has to take 1 bite of everything.

She's started to eat some meat here and there and will eat raw veggies, doesn't like them cooked.

It's just going to take awhile.

Good luck, find something the kid likes and build on it

- Mike
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old step son is SOOO picky.
    Not really picky, just spoiled.
    When he is at home (not our home), he eats processed junk, and rarely has a "family dinner".
    His typical meals consist of: Mac and cheese (the cheap boxed kind), chicken nuggets (the frozen tyson kind), french fries, fast food, pizza, candy, hot dogs, corn dogs, those breakfast sausage things on a stick wrapped in a pancake, sugary cereal..you get the drift.
    WELL, when he comes here he refuses to eat vegetables or fruit. So, I say ok, and don't argue. I just trick him :blushing:

His favorite thing to eat here is pizza! Little does he know, the crust is made solely from cauliflower, and the toppings include turkey pepperoni and low fat cheese!

He also likes chicken fingers. I make them homemade- still not the greatest for you, but, they aren't that bad.

This weekend, I am going to make tofu chocolate mousse, I wonder if he can tell the difference!

When I make lasagna (another favorite), I sometimes use boca meat and turkey sausage, and put a TON of veggies in the sauce. Also, When I make mac and cheese, I put a little spinach in there. When I make hamburgers, I use turkey, but, put a little Lipton's beefy mushroom soup mix and a little worchestire sauce in the meat, and it tastes like beef, I also put chopped veggies in!

All in all, I don't think he can tell. the only thing I wouldn't try is sugar free chocolate syrup! I tried that for chocolate milk, and the clumping and weird look is a dead giveaway. But, we use skim milk, low cal butter, and almost low fat everything, even string cheese and pudding and jello...which he loves.

So, be creative! Hope this helps!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just came across this book called "Real food for Healthy Kids." My sister has very picky eaters in her house and I showed it to her since a lot of the recipes look adult and kid friendly.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com
    I've found tons of recipes just in the past couple weeks that even my picky child will eat....(To name a couple, skinny shephards pie and skinny sloppy joes...) I made the sloppy joes last night and they were delicious!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    you should only be cooking one meal, and one meal only, if they dont like it then tough luck, they gotta learn to eat whats given to them. My sons learnt that, He wont eat and an hr later hes asking for snacks and i dont give in, im not a short order cook.

Make things like pastas, tacos, homemade grilled chicken burgers,maybe have a night where your kids choose the meal and do what you can to make it more healthy if its something thats not healthy (eg. chicken fingers. make homemade ones!)

You sound like me i love it :) I always tell my son the diner is closed for the night...Haha
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    bump
  • mrsmooset
    mrsmooset Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com
    I've found tons of recipes just in the past couple weeks that even my picky child will eat....(To name a couple, skinny shephards pie and skinny sloppy joes...) I made the sloppy joes last night and they were delicious!

Thanks, I just looked at the site, it gave me some great ideas x
  • 08caloriecounter
    08caloriecounter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a low carb husband, a vegetarian teenager, a non-dairy teenager and a fussy 6 year old. Dinner can be a challange.:ohwell:
    I tend to make things that they can customize at the table. Things like make your own burritos. Whole wheat tortillas, lean ground beef or turkey, black beans, lettuce, tomatos, cheese etc. (Husband no tortilla, teenager black beans and vegetables, teenager 2 meat and veg, 6 yr old tortilla with cheese). For pasta I keep the whole wheat pasta, the meat, the sauce (with extra veg) and cheese separate. Same thing with stir fry.
    If I make something I know someone won't eat I always have a side dish that they will eat. I make sure everything on the table is healthy and that is it. We eat together and I only make one meal. The more times you serve something the more likely your kids will try it. Good Luck.
    55594.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kgrothey
    Options
    Have a veggie pizza night. Every member of the family has their own tortilla (La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Large Tortillas [80 cals each]). Then have them top with pizza sauce (2-3 Tbsp), small amount of part-skim shredded mozzarella (1/3 C) and whatever steamed veggies you have laying around. Without the veggies, you're looking at a 162 calorie meal/snack that involves the entire family! Just bake right on rack at 400 for 9-10 minutes. YUMMY!

That's right...bring the kids INTO the kitchen! I promise they can't complain about something THEY make!

Only 162 calories per pizza!!! Pair it with a small salad to bump up the caloric intake!