no food at all

Options
I am thinking of fasting with no food at all taken for like a 24 hours at a time.Just water.Anyone who did this before?Advice would be very welcome

Replies

• YayMe17
    YayMe17 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WHY? Don't do that to your body. Food is fuel & your body needs it. I have never done a fast so I guess I have no authority on it. But it just seems like a bad idea & torture. Just sayin'
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I agree...that's not fun. Even through MFP, food IS and CAN be fun! Why torture yourself?
  • jcholliday
    Options
    Fasting for 24 hours is not really that hard, especially if you are still drinking water. In fact you can fast for much longer, like 2 or 3 days if you want. My advice is to be sure why you are fasting and what you hope to accomplish in that fast. Doing a 24 hour fast will be good for you, you will be able to tell what hunger actually feels like. Thirst manifests itself like hunger, so statistically the first pangs of hunger are usually thirst. If you fast you will be able to 'feel' when your body is really hungry. To only eat when you are hungry and only eat until you are full.....is one of the most important aspects of my weight loss.
    Hope that helps,
    Judy
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Fasting is Biblical. Gets your mind off of yourself.
  • minmatt
    Options
    I've done a couple. They are usually good to do before starting a diet/lifestyle change/whatever you wanna call it, because it can help shrink your stomach. I usually juice for three to six days. However, its hard to get a great workout in because your body is lacking fuel. I usually workout the first few days then cramps consume my body and I fast it out the next day. Be careful of overeating on your first day of eating, it will ruin your fast :)
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    There is a 24 fast called Eat Stop Eat that is very popular and gets extremely good reviews online. There are several threads on it here, and in fact I'm trying it for the first time today. I haven't felt right for the last three days and am extremely bloated, so I'm giving my body from 8pm last night to 6-7 pm tonight (18-23 hour fasts are as beneficial as 24 hour ones) to detox and not worry about digestion and other things. Also it will help me get more in tune with my hunger signal as a "NEED" or a "HEY, I KINDA WANT TO EAT THAT BUT I'M NOT THAT HUNGRY".

So while I'll be going 23 hours without eating, I won't be going an entire day without food. I've done a lot of research on it before I started and a lot of people swear by it.
  • pgespada
    pgespada Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it at all. I was on a crazy diet for a while that had a regular regiment of fasting and although I lost a lot of weight it created a real problem for me with my metabolism. Since I did that losing weight has been really difficult.