Phentermine 37.5- appetite supressant

Options
Anyone have any success with this pill? What are the pros and cons? Recommended by my doctor, but I don't just take anything I like to get the pros and cons from people who have taken it.

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told my friend that phentermine is just a legal dose of crank......so you have the same effects as meth would, no sleeping, high heart rate, and of course appetite suppresant. My friend took it in high school and said she would go through at LEAST 3 bottles of water each class period because she constantly had dry mouth and was soooo thirsty, and she would rearrange her room all the time because she couldnt' sleep at night and would be up for days at a time, and then finally she had to get off of it because she was off in thought during class and literally imagined herself going out in the hallway and shooting herself in the head and ended up having a massive panic attack......so if constant thirst, sleep deprivation, and suicidal thoughts don't bother you......then go for it.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told my friend that phentermine is just a legal dose of crank......so you have the same effects as meth would, no sleeping, high heart rate, and of course appetite suppresant.
    Sounds like the 80's bahahahahaha :laugh:
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I have been taking it for 3 weeks. I have had great weight loss success. The only side effect I have had is dry mouth. The first 2 days my heart rate was up but not since. I am taking it because I am having issues getting my thyroid levels correct so after 3 months of eating right and working out I was still not losing because my metabolism was very low. This has been a great help and I continue to eat very healthy and work out. I love it!!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told my friend that phentermine is just a legal dose of crank......so you have the same effects as meth would, no sleeping, high heart rate, and of course appetite suppresant.
    Sounds like the 80's bahahahahaha :laugh:

yep Tenuate dospan............... those were the days! lol! how come i got fat later??????
  • chubby1978
    Options
    I have taken this drug before. It is basicly speed. It makes you sweat, thirsty as hell and cranky. It also screws with any other meds you may be on. It will make you not hungry...but eventually your body gets used to it. I do not recomend this drug. There is no magic pill.
  • msthubbard
    Options
    I have two friends who have taken it. One takes a whole pill every other day and the other takes a half of pill. They both have had good success. They eat about 1200 calories a day and work out. One friend lost 85-100 pounds on it and now she uses it as a maintenance program. They other recently started and she has lost 35 pounds. They both report high energy and some insomnia which is why they take it every other day or 1/2 a pill. To combat the insomnia, take it very early in the morning and limit other caffeine intake.

If you have a history of depression or other mental health issues, please talk to your doctor first. It affects people differently.

I hope this helps.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was on this once years ago. I lost a ton of weight (around 40 lbs) in 5 months. But it ALL came back and then some as soon as I stopped taking it.
  • chubby1978
    Options
    Are you on thyroid medication?
  • pines2palms
    Options
    I tried it...it helped with suppressing my appetite alright... I ate very little for lunch or supper, and by the next day, I was hungry for breakfast, but after I took it, my lunch and dinner would be little again. Weight was dropping well...BUT the side effects were HORRIBLE. I was angry all of the time. I had no control over my emotions. I was just out of myself. It was weird, and not good for me or my family. As much as I loved the weight drop, and the fact that it was given to me by my doctor, the side effects were too much. I quit taking it....
  • apertuis
    apertuis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have taken it a few times. I had great success with it and kept the weight off after. I did have increased energy & thirst, but I can't complain :) I'm not taking anything now :)
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Some have DIED from taking that medication.
  • dmisom79
    dmisom79 Posts: 112
    Options
    I personally LOVE appetite suppressants but I've received negative feedback on here about them. Although I do completely appreciate the feedback I got and it was right for my situation, If they are prescribed by your doctor, I would trust it more than if you just bought them OTC. I haven't taken the prescription kind but have had success with OTC Phentermine in the past so good luck if you do decide to go that route.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have taken it..and agree basically with all the posts that state the negative side effects. I hated not sleeping and being cranky all the time..Plus after a week or so..it stopped working so well on the appetite suppression. I
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I didn't lose any weight at all. If my thyroid was ok, I would totally take it again!
  • TamekaBohorquez
    TamekaBohorquez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback guys...
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    LOL......WHAT?!?!

I am just stunned at some of these responses.....wow.

Anyways...to the OP....I was taking the exact same amount of Phentermine several years ago. As were about 12 of my good friends at the time. None of us had all of these 'horrible' side affects some people are talking about, but I have heard others mention thirst & mood issues. We all had dramatic weight loss....which was very quickly shed.

None of us really watched what we ate...at all...and it did supress our appetite, no doubt! I was VERY pleased with my results. I dropped about 35lbs in just a few months. However.....as one other person mentioned....your body does get used to it. After my first month, I noticed my body adjusted. Tried it for a 2nd month....but had no affect, so I stopped using it.

I have also been warned that it can have issues with your heart in the long term. I would recommend, if you do opt to use it, stick with a healthy diet & exercise plan. Once my friends & I went off this pill and eased up on exercising....the weight came back.....and then some! I kick myself for it now! Good luck to you! :)
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have taken it a few times and after the first few days of being a little jittery, it worked like a dream! Here is the thing, if you do not change your lifestyle yes all the weight will come right back, but quite frankly that is the case with anything you do. I needed a kick in the pants to get me going and it did that. It gave me the push to start better habits like portion control and it gave me the energy to start exercising consistently. I certainly think it has benefits if used in conjunction with a healthy eating plan and exercise.
  • c_taptap
    c_taptap Posts: 1
    Options
    I've read a few of the comments. Some were similar to what I've been experiencing, others were definitely not. What I wanted to remind everyone is that every body is different, so the side effects will vary. For me, I have dry mouth (which I am thankful for because I have a problem with drinking water regularly) and the first few days I had tremendous energy...which I also loved because I hate my current job. Others may experience "worse" side effects, while others may have none.
    We also have to remember that there really isn't a magical weight loss pill. When this was prescribed to me, the doctor did a great job of explaining that this pill is to AID me in my transition to having a healthier lifestyle. I have a two-month supply and after those 60 days are up, whatever weight I lost should remain off because I have better eating habits. For those who saw weight gain after they stopped the pills, did you continue to eat and exercise as you were when on the pill? If not, that maaaaaaay be the reason.

Anywho, I haven't been on it long, but I am liking what I see and feel so far.
    I guess I should also mention I am not taking any other medications and I am not sure (yet) if I have a thyroid issue. Blood tests still pending.
  • Lindy1964
    Lindy1964 Posts: 1
    Options
    Everyone is different. 4 days so far. No speedy heart rate , no lack of sleep or jitters. I am sweaty from this pill. It does control my hunger for a while. Once it wears off I'm starving again, but I am 50 and my hormones make me hungry. You should be drinking lots of water anyway. It's for short term use. I think, why not give it a try. You need to eat healthy and walk, which I do anyway. Give it a shot.