I am my own worst enemy

Options
Does anyone else do this?

When there is something I want, or I get sick of dieting, or too lazy to exercise, I come up with excuses for myself.. why it is ok to fall off the wagon. And usuallyonce I do, it could be weeks, or months, or this time.. a YEAR before I get back. I tell myself, oh well, I dont mind being fat, I love food. It is so unhealthy. i DO love food, but I put way too much emphasis on the kind of food I think I need. I know I can have treats sometimes, I have lost all this weight before, but it is all back.

I just want to know im not the only one who plays with their own mind!

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    Does anyone else do this?

When there is something I want, or I get sick of dieting, or too lazy to exercise, I come up with excuses for myself.. why it is ok to fall off the wagon. And usuallyonce I do, it could be weeks, or months, or this time.. a YEAR before I get back. I tell myself, oh well, I dont mind being fat, I love food. It is so unhealthy. i DO love food, but I put way too much emphasis on the kind of food I think I need. I know I can have treats sometimes, I have lost all this weight before, but it is all back.

I just want to know im not the only one who plays with their own mind!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    me too!! no you are not alone. I don't usually talk about this on here cause it is an "outside issue" in my mind. I am an addict. My thinking is my problem. I can talk myself into anything and justify the h*ll out of it. I trade one addiction for another all the time. My latest thing is trading my food addiction for a shopping addiction. Instead of eating everything in site i went to the galleria, an expensive mall here and proceeded to buy all kinds of things most of which i didn't need. I caught myself when i was in a jewelry store trying on a 2500.00 diamond braclet, thinking since it was on "sale" for 1000.00 it would be ok to buy it.:noway: :sick: how insane is that?? I barely have a 1000.00 in my life savings. I did alot of damage but i didn't buy the braclet. One of the things i am using to help me with this whole process is the 12 steps of narcotics anonymous. 1 we admitted we were powerless over our addiction and our lives had become unmanageable. That is way to true for me. so i know what u mean with the justifying. hang in there and maybe just try to remember that 1st step, i don't know about anyone else but i know i am a food addict. once i start eating wrong i cannot control it and the results make me a mess physically, mentally and spiritually. Sorry for the rant but i needed to get that out. cause i know once i expose my "secrets" they die in the light of exposure.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    you are so not alone--I'm right there with you--ruining all my efforts with a pizza--beating myself up--I say it's time that we change--lets change that bad energy into something good. Alone we are fragile, together we are strong.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    me too!! no you are not alone. I don't usually talk about this on here cause it is an "outside issue" in my mind. I am an addict. My thinking is my problem. I can talk myself into anything and justify the h*ll out of it. I trade one addiction for another all the time. My latest thing is trading my food addiction for a shopping addiction. Instead of eating everything in site i went to the galleria, an expensive mall here and proceeded to buy all kinds of things most of which i didn't need. I caught myself when i was in a jewelry store trying on a 2500.00 diamond braclet, thinking since it was on "sale" for 1000.00 it would be ok to buy it.:noway: :sick: how insane is that?? I barely have a 1000.00 in my life savings. I did alot of damage but i didn't buy the braclet. One of the things i am using to help me with this whole process is the 12 steps of narcotics anonymous. 1 we admitted we were powerless over our addiction and our lives had become unmanageable. That is way to true for me. so i know what u mean with the justifying. hang in there and maybe just try to remember that 1st step, i don't know about anyone else but i know i am a food addict. once i start eating wrong i cannot control it and the results make me a mess physically, mentally and spiritually. Sorry for the rant but i needed to get that out. cause i know once i expose my "secrets" they die in the light of exposure.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Thanks I'm glad Im not alone!

I am definitely a food addict, always have been. In school I was active, so I didnt notice it was a problem, then I graduated, got married, and bam! 100 pounds gained in only a couple yrs! Now I have to change habits I lived with for 20 years
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    I can totally relate to what everyone else is saying. I love good food, but after a week or so of just eating whatever I want I start feeling sick and depressed. So knowing that is helping me this time to stay focused. I diffenently think we should all find a healthy yummy indulgence for those times we need a little something extra. Right now for me its fruit. I'm really into cantalope, purple grapes, pineapple and strawberries.....so good. It's good to tell some secrets to make ourselves accountible. We can do this together. :smile:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Waving hand in air... addictive personality... oh yeah... right here... pick me, pick me! I know EXACTLY how ya feel! :cry: I'm just trying to replace the bad addictions with good ones... one day.. one craving, at a time sistah! :grumble: I do know that this stuff works in here, but yeah, I DO suffer from self sabotage from addictions. :angry: We all just hafta make up our little pea pickin brains that we WILL make the right decisions, and don't beat ourselves up too much when we don't. That's really all I know, so luvya and Big Brother Jamerz hugz! >:D<
  • afoster4
    Options
    I do the same thing!!!!! i hate it too but its hard to stop.:ohwell: And i mostly seem to do it at night...like today i bured 800 calories in exercise and i had about 500 that i did not use by the end of the day....then i gave in to the cravings and only have 150 left.:cry: ..i feel horrible about it!!!:mad:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    you are so not alone--I'm right there with you--ruining all my efforts with a pizza--beating myself up--I say it's time that we change--lets change that bad energy into something good. Alone we are fragile, together we are strong.
    beautifully put!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I once said to a friend that we make a choice each day of our life.

We either choose to give up the foods we love
    or
    we give up the body we want to have

So many times I said aw the heck with it, this is just too hard. I want to EAT, I dont mind being fat. My hubby loves me, I have a good job blah blah blah nobody cares what I look like.

So far I am very lucky. This site has kept me focused on the main reason I am here-to get and stay healthy. I too have started and stopped so many times I could write a book, but this time I feel it is right.

In my 20s it was about weight loss and being attractive. Now it is about staying alive an addl 10-20 years.

I feel healthier, more energetic and yeah, I love those size 10s!

So I pray I wont be starting a thread like this one any time soon, but I HAVE earmarked this one to remind me

WE ARE NOT ALONE!! :flowerforyou:
  • suselmiami
    Options
    LOL ... Loved jamerz3294's post about "pick me pick me"" ...

I also have an addictive personality so I know exactly how you feel. I also must have a hole in my stomach because I can eat and eat and never get full. I've been through 3 different drive-thrus in less than half and hour, spending $30+ in junk fund in one seating. Horrible! It's not about the money because I don't mind spending a fortune in a nice restaurant ... but it's just an example of how my addiction to carbs and junk food is out of control.

I battle with this on a daily basis ... but like jamerz3294 said, it's all about replacing the bad habits with good ones. I've heard that it takes 21 days to make a habit or get rid of an old one. Positive thinking and self discipline are key. I've considered joining an Overeaters Annonymous Group. Yes! I laughed the first time I heard this because I had no idea there was such a thing. I'm going to my first meeting on Friday ... wish me luck.

I started today and this site has great tools to help with the journey.

Best of luck to everyone!