Anyone here have lap-band?

Options
Hi Gang

Just wondering if anyone else has had lap-band surgery? I did in December 2009 and GAINED 60 pounds because the band was never tightened appropriately and I've had some crazy out of control eating. I'm reigning it back in but has anyone else had surgery only to be very disappointed? (I know it's a tool but if the tool doesn't work, it's worthless!) Love to hear people's comments and get some support if possible.
Thanks!

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that it wasn't tightened properly. Have you had it adjusted since?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    so what happened after you found out it wasn't adjusted properly? i mean i'd be pissed so
  • SayLiLIG
    SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i have the band... And it has been really helpful... ive lost about 16 pounds with it since July...but i have been making the best choices either..and ive been drinking while eating. My band is now at 8ccs and i can only eat a tiny bit... the biggest thing being a whole sandwich while drinking.
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes i did in Oct 2009 have lost 125 so far 20 or so to go....I have a fantastic dr.....very important to go in every month when you first start was.... Hope you get it adjusted correctly soon it's a wonderful life changing tool when it works...but you still gotta do the work too...I do alot of cardio and watch every calorie
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you know what? it didn't work - but you found MFP now, you can do this, this site is awesome! I know it's extremely disappointing, but it's best to focus on positive now :)
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have the band... And it has been really helpful... ive lost about 16 pounds with it since July...but i have been making the best choices either..and ive been drinking while eating. My band is now at 8ccs and i can only eat a tiny bit... the biggest thing being a whole sandwich while drinking.

To have that surgery and only have lost 16 pounds in 7 months would seem like a disappointment to me. Is that all this thing does?

I don't know...I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks just by cutting my calories. I don't mean to knock you. I honestly don't. But if I'm going to have surgery and mess with my insides in an unnatural way, I better see good results.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    you know what? it didn't work - but you found MFP now, you can do this, this site is awesome! I know it's extremely disappointing, but it's best to focus on positive now :)

I agree. :-)
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have heard that happens to some people. It sinks you went through surgery and it didn't help you.:cry: Maybe it can be readjusted some how? Meanwhile just try to log calories on MFP and eat good for you foods. :heart:
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options

To have that surgery and only have lost 16 pounds in 7 months would seem like a disappointment to me. Is that all this thing does?

I don't know...I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks just by cutting my calories. I don't mean to knock you. I honestly don't. But if I'm going to have surgery and mess with my insides in an unnatural way, I better see good results.

You know, that's right, I've lost 21 since Jan 1st? just eating right and exercising
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    I had the band done in 12/2009. It's a little over a year, and I've lost 64 lbs. I have to say though, I have a great team of Dr's. I've only had 2 adjustments. I have changed my eating habits and I exercise 4-5 days a week. If I screw up, and "treat" myself and don't exercise I gain immediatly. Like you said, it's a tool. If your not being adjusted correctly then you need to talk to your Dr, or maybe switch Dr's, which can be a pain in the butt. If you have any other questions send me a message. Good luck!!
  • sandradickie
    sandradickie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    [
  • sandradickie
    sandradickie Posts: 40 Member
    Options

You know, that's right, I've lost 21 since Jan 1st? just eating right and exercising

I am sorry, but maybe some of you do not have as much weight to lose as others. When I weighed 478 lbs, surgery was the best option for me. I lost 284 lbs with the help of gastric by pass. It also took diligence, hard work, discipline etc.... When you have an enormous amount of weight to lose, it can be very daunting! Just saying....
  • Devourer
    Options
    Many doctors are pushing the Gastric Bypass surgery and if any doctor ever suggests it to me, I don't know if I could resist the impulse to punch them in the face.

A friend and my mother went through the gastric bypass (one prior to the lap band being available) and they are bot MISERABLE and SUFFERING. Of the two options, even with the chance of it being misadjusted, the lap band is removable AND its not an drastic altering of your internal organs that force you to completely re-define what you can and cannot eat - in addition to how much.

The idea behind either procedure being to reinforce portioning and appetite control.
    Of course, one can still stretch/expand the 'pouch' these procedures create and the weight can be gained back over an extremely extended period of time so a healthy eating regimen has to be established and stuck to after either procedure.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    Oh, my very dear friend had gastric bypass surgery. She lost about 100 pounds in 5 months and then another 100 within the next year or so. Very good results. She got down to about 170 and looked AMAZING. She has maintained her weight for 6 years now. Beautiful girl <3 but she always was <3

16 pounds in 7 months isn't worth it, in my opinion, no matter what size you are...

I'm not knocking it, just saying I'd feel jipped if that was my 'success' with it.

I think a lot of times, people get something as a shortcut when it could be done on their own with a little persistence and will. People are stronger than they let themselves believe.

I understand some people are bigger than others and have more to lose, but did you hear that they are lowering the requirements for people who qualify for the lap-band? You can have 30.0 BMI now and get it.

THAT'S ME! I couldn't imagine getting it. I have maybe 40 more to lose. I think people just want an easy way out.

I do support people in whatever they decide to do. It's not my body, afterall. My original post was just about the loss of 16 pounds in 7 months. Seems like the surgery was pointless.
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i had lap-band surgery in june of 2007. i lost about 50 pounds initially, and then put it all back on, plus another 5-10 pounds. then last feb. i got serious again and went in for an adjustment. they barely put anything in the band, so i continued to eat at my normal rate. but i didn't gain anything else. then i started eating the lap-band way again anyway in june and lost about 15 pounds. got my band adjusted again and it was wayyyyy too tight. i would eat and then throw up almost every meal. i had 1 cc removed and everything has been better since then. i've lost about another 6 pounds since then and am eating right and exercising. looking forward to the rest of what i have to lose to come OFF!

i agree with the previous posters who say that you should make sure you're adjusted properly. that's the only way your tool will work.

GL!
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I had the lap band done 3 months ago and have lost 68 pounds post op.. I just got my second fill yesterday. I have 3cc in it. The lap band is a tool only. You have to change your lifestyle or you wont lose weight. Liquid calories kill the lap band. The only liquid calories I drink is from milk.. O and alittle vodka mixed in with my decaf tea from time to time. But Vodka is low in calories. Other then that I drink plain old water. I thought it would be hard to give up pop but it hasnt been to bad. No more beer either .. which sucks but life is more important then the little things like that. Exercise and eating healthy is the key. But you have to be ready to change your life forever. So far I have had 0 problems with my band.. Knock on wood lol... I wish you the best of luck !
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had my band fitted Dec 2007, I lost a bit in the first 6 months, regained it in the next 6 but it was MY FAULT not the bands...I stopped working out and eating within calories...the GOOD thing is that since then I have not regained any of the weight previously lost (which was more why I was considered for the band in the first place ) I have been back on track since November and doing ok as far as I am concerned. 33lb down so that much nearer my target.
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    I was banded on March 30, 2009 I have lost around 140lbs. I have the most amazing doctors that listen to me when I know I need a fill all I have to do is call them and come in and they will adjust it. I exersize regularly and participate in 5k, 10k and half Marathon runs now that I am in the shape that I am in and physically able to do so. I weighed 300 lbs when I started my journey and I am now around 165!!!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have one and it's the biggest piece of crap ever. Mine is all screwed up. I've been to several different doctors and none of them can get it right. Had a nurse at the last doctor tell me this: "This is what it does. You pay to get it tightened, lose weight then you can't keep anything down so you have to come back spend more money to get it loosened, gain weight, come back, pay to get it tightened, either way you have to keep dishing out money to go up and down."

I haven't been back to a doctor since then. Called and tried to get appointments but it's such a hassle with them. My insurance also doesn't cover to have it removed but if it did that ***** would be out. I've had it since 2005 and my starting weight on here was 292.

Biggest mistake next to me ex. Rofl.
  • mrjason
    mrjason Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I "This is what it does. You pay to get it tightened, lose weight then you can't keep anything down so you have to come back spend more money to get it loosened, gain weight, come back, pay to get it tightened, either way you have to keep dishing out money to go up and down."

You hit the nail on the head. My issue was that I lost my job (and insurance) and didn't have the $500 per month to keep getting fills. Thankfully I've found a new job and am trying to "catch up" but new insurance doesn't cover ANY part of this. I had the doctor send letters and everything. Same as you, they won't pay to take it out.

I put all of my faith, foolishly, into this tool instead of using it as the tool it's supposed to be, never got it adjusted correctly, and got burned. At least I've found MFP and you guys.

It's selfish to say, but it's good to hear that others had the same challenges that I've had.