How not to go crazy while on Vacation

Options
So I'll be going away for two weeks out of country to celebrate with parents their 25th wedding anniversary. Since my parents are renewing their vows and going to have a huge party, we'll all be busy getting ready for the wedding and visiting family and friends. To me this means that I'll have little time to exercise. I'm scared that I will binge eat a lot while on vacation. How can I stay on track and avoid temptations? Thanks for you help!! :-D

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could set a goal to get up early and walk every morning. If your are in a different country I'm sure there will be lots to see! Then you will be able to enjoy some 'celebration foods' without coming back with 'extra baggage'! Enjoy this special time with your family.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • blahlemon
    blahlemon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The key is portion control, you can enjoy anything you want (pretty much) so long as the portions are appropriate. When in doubt take less and spend longer with each bite. This will allow your stomach to catch up with your brain and make you feel less hungry. If you do over indulge don't beat yourself up, if you put it on you will be able to get it off!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Go for walks when you can. Do some jumping jacks, push ups, abs, burpees, squats, lunges, etc. in your hotel room (or wherever you are). Other than that, just try to watch portions. Anything in moderation. Split desserts or just take a few bites. Try to drink lots of water all day long and just make good choices when you can. But, most of all, enjoy yourself!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Prepare yourself mentally that this vacation is not about food but about celebrating your parents. easier said then done
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    you're going to be on vacation...so have some fun!! I agree with a previous poster when they said to watch your portion sizes. If you go to webmd.com they have a wallet-size printable "portion size" guide. I'm sure you can find others on the internet. But, obviously you won't have a food scale anywhere near, so giving your foods the "eyeball approach" is a way of doing it. Having the guide may help you. For example: it says for 4 oz chicken it should be about the size of a deck of cards. For a tablespoon it should be about the size of a ping pong ball. Anyways..just some ideas.

Maybe you could also bring some pre-measured snacks? If you aren't feeling in the mood to indulge, don't do it just for the sake of it being the only thing available. If you bring some pre-measured baggies of almonds, or dried fruit, or carrots you could avoid the excuse I commonly have ("Well...it was the only thing available!" Haha)

Have lots of fun and as long as you keep things in moderation...you should be just fine! Also, if there is decorating, moving luggage, or moving chairs or anything like that available....get involved! Even if its something simple like that, it will help get your heart rate moving. Drive less, if possible, and walk more :smile: and have fun!