Where's the cyclists?

Options
If you're a cyclist, what kind of riding do you do? What kind of bike(s)? Any goals for 2011?

I have a 2007 Specialized Allez Elite road bike and a tweaked 2010 Crosstrail Sport hybrid for gravel (and currently ice).

I do a little of everything (except singletrack, I lack the bike for that), but the bulk of my miles are from commuting.

My current goal is a 1h5m 22mi time trial at the end of June. My current personal best on the course is 1h13m, but my training for the event in past years has been haphazard at best.

I've been following Friel's "Training Bible" since December. I'm on my Base 2 recovery week.

How about y'all?

Replies

• Toaster88
    Options
    Five day a week Commuter , weekend rider, whenever the mood hits, Mountain Biker.

I ride a (very) modified Specialized (Globe) Vienna 3 Disc, and a GT Avalanche.

Nowhere near having a budget to get competetive. I did ride 100mi two weeks ago (my first 100+ ride).
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hello!! :drinker:

2009 Specialized Dolce Comp (Road & Tri)
    2008 Kona Dew Deluxe (Hybrid / commute bike)
    2008 Orbea Replay MTB (playing around)

:smile:
  • crazytxmom
    crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Here there!!

I have a 199? Trek 520 (touring bike). I'd like to upgrade but this bike has served me well for many years now & there's always somewhere else the money needs to go (usually child-related).

I rode 10+ years ago 150-200 miles/week until the kiddos came along. Just re-discovered my two-wheeled love a couple of years ago. I commute during the summer when I don't have to cater to the school bus schedule. I also ride any chance I get on weekends. My oldest is beginning to catch the cycling bug so she's likely to get an upgrade from her "kid bike" soon. My youngest is just getting off training wheels.

There are 'huge' windows in our office and I hate nothing more than beautiful spring days when I'm stuck at work.
  • pty21
    pty21 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi!

I have a 2007 Trek 5000, a Redline Monocog for snow commutes, a Bianchi Castro Valley for dirt roads/rainy commutes, and a Specialized Langster fixed gear for goofing around in the spring.

I usually get 1,800 to 2,000 miles a year in commuting (8 miles round trip) and hopefully more than that for training/weekend miles. I'd love to be back up to 2,500+ training mils this summer (now that running is out of the question) so I'm putting more emphasis on the indoor trainer than I have in the last few years. A new Specialized Tarmac Comp Compact is also helping my motivation right now so I'm super hyped for this season to start!

I don't race but I like to get out on the weekends for a couple of hours at a time. My wife comes with me at least once a week for a 30-50 miler and she plans on a couple of extra weekday bike rides, as well. We have a pair of organized centuries planned this summer and maybe a self-supported 100 miler if we feel froggy but we don't do much more than that.
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    2008 Felt DA is my Tri bike.
    2009 Felt F15X is my cross bike
    2007 Serotta CXII is my road bike
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There's a message board that's been going for quite awhile, MFP Cycling Club - part 4. All kinds of cyclist are welcome, and all ability levels. Check it out!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Mainly a roadie right now as I'm currently without a mtn bike. Cannondale Optimo is my current bike and I love it. I have a 4000 mile goal for the year and I'm training for a half Ironman. Come check out our little cycling club if you'd like :happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/164299-mfp-cycling-club?page=12
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I just got a new bike, it is an "Urban" bike, a 2010 Charge Mixer 8.......

Mixer_8_finished_rack_hitch_trailer_1st_delivery-1.jpg

Tange Prestige Double Butted tubing, hydraulic disc brakes, 8-speed Alfine hub, 700c 36 spoke rims and a galvanized frame, it is my new designated tow bike for doing my deliveries.

This frees up my other bike.......

cannondale_brooks_skinny_kojaks-1-1.jpg
    ... a 1988 Cannondale SM500 MTB

I bought this bike new in October of 1988, so we've been together for almost 23 years :bigsmile:

Right now it is set up for street riding, with sort of skinny slick tires (I love them Kojaks) a street rear cog, short arm derailleur modified Scott AT-4 Pro bars and a Brooks B-17 saddle. That old bike has some life left in it yet :glasses:

Cheers!
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Being a Dutchman, I grow restless when I can't grab my bike for this or that. Living in a tropical country poses an extra problem: no proper bikes for sale here. One can get the full range of cheaper type of mountain bikes and only the lowest quality Chinese regular bicycles. So, I imported my own bike, a Burgers' Urban (http://www.burgersfietsen.nl/collectie-2011/urban-city/).

Ah, I was happy as a child once it arrived here ;)

I use it to cycle to the gym and back. Back in Holland, 10kilometers is a nice ride, but here it's hot and a little hilly so I when I take the bike I reach the gym already soaked throughout.

Nonetheless, it feels so good. The wind in your hair, hands off the steer. Foremost: sitting up straight while cycling!! (I hated mountain bikes for not allowing that).

My Urban attracts a LOT of attention and I get lots of enthusiastic reactions (from people who almost killed me with their cars haha). I should start a shop selling them here.
  • cm80123
    cm80123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Being a Dutchman, I grow restless when I can't grab my bike for this or that. Living in a tropical country poses an extra problem: no proper bikes for sale here. One can get the full range of cheaper type of mountain bikes and only the lowest quality Chinese regular bicycles. So, I imported my own bike, a Burgers' Urban (http://www.burgersfietsen.nl/collectie-2011/urban-city/).

Ah, I was happy as a child once it arrived here ;)

I use it to cycle to the gym and back. Back in Holland, 10kilometers is a nice ride, but here it's hot and a little hilly so I when I take the bike I reach the gym already soaked throughout.

Nonetheless, it feels so good. The wind in your hair, hands off the steer. Foremost: sitting up straight while cycling!! (I hated mountain bikes for not allowing that).

My Urban attracts a LOT of attention and I get lots of enthusiastic reactions (from people who almost killed me with their cars haha). I should start a shop selling them here.

Really great looking urban bike!

urban_hr_zwart_rvs.jpg
    If the pic works...

Is that a three speed or?

For around town casual riding, the handlebars above the seat it great!
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Just wanted to say "Hi" on this thread.

I ride a 2009 Trek. I travel about 13 miles on the weekdays after work and 21 miles on Saturdays and Sundays.

I enjoy riding, but have no one to ride with. Someday I would love to join a group ride.
  • pty21
    pty21 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, Gwen! I always joke that my wife and I constitute a "little paceline of two" because we don't ride with a group.

If you want to try something very eye opening, find an organized ride in your area. Not a weekly ride but a well supported, well attended event ride put on by a local bicycle club. You will figure out pretty quickly if riding with others is for you. My first century ride was in 2006 where there were over 2,000 cyclists doing routes from 15 miles on dirt roads up to 100 miles on pavement. It was a blast! They had assistance vehicles driving around in case something medical or mechanical happened, the police were directing traffic at some of the busier intersections, and there were about six roadside stops if you needed them. That's definitely the way to travel and worth every penny of the $20 entry fee.

Jen (jjclem07 here on MFP) rides with me now and has got two 100-milers under her belt, as well. She is hooked on these organized rides and is always trying to get us into one or another event in our area. It's probably good that time and money don't allow us to do very many because we'd be on the road every weekend from May to October!
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I have a 2010 Specialized and put on 1200 miles over the summer. I've been out three times so far this year but it is too cold again :( Can't wait for spring/summer weather and lots of more miles/rides!
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Haha StuAblett, that's great. Yes, that is my bike! Mine has big black saddle bags. Some friends jokingly says it looks like a Nazi bike because it's all black but they are all totally jealous. It's an 8 gear (well, in reality 7).
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a 2010 Specialized Tricross, i commute most days (minimum 17 miles but if its nice ill detour and do 28) and I’ve already signed up for my first charity bike ride of the year, 45 miles around Crewe which is 2 weeks on Sunday, can't wait.

I did start to try and encourage cyclists to post their rides, as I’m sure you all know, cycling as a group is much more fun, but work takes over and i haven’t been on too much - http://bikehaven.co.uk/

Can't wait for the Manchester to Blackpool ride (i live near Blackpool which is kind of handy) and i'm sure there will be plenty of other rides around the summer.
  • backinthenines
    Options
    I’ve already signed up for my first charity bike ride of the year, 45 miles around Crewe which is 2 weeks on Sunday, can't wait.

My other half lives in Nantwich and last year Cheshire Triathlon clashed with some organised century ride that came through Nantwich...

Too many cyclists with race numbers on and when our routes clashed it was carnage...

some road cyclists accidentally following the triathlon marshalls instructions and going off course....
    some triathletes following the road bike pack and going off course...

It was one of the funniest races I ever did. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lol that sounds brilliant, i can imagine it was like a Benny Hill sketch
  • backinthenines
    Options
    lol that sounds brilliant, i can imagine it was like a Benny Hill sketch

It was hilarious!!!

Their race was draft legal but ours wasn't... so you end up with people on your tail and you're like "oi!! get off my wheel!!" :laugh:

And great conversations like "get a move on!!" followed by "it's alright for you, you don't have to run afterwards!!"... "what are you talking about!?... run afterwards??!! are you mad??!!!"
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    2005 Trek 1200 (road)
    2005 Trek 7500? (mt)

I have gotten into running these past few years though, so the biking has taken a bit of a back seat. More of the time issue than anything. I have a hard time going out for a ride less than 20 miles.

But June 17-19 is the Trek Across Maine. 60 miles a day, three days, starting in the mountains and ending at the ocean. It is such a blast!