hypothyroid

Options
I just wanted to see if anyone else here has this problem and is having trouble losing weight. I am BEYOND frustrated. I finally lost 5 lbs after working out and eating healthy for over a year and now I'm stuck again. I do high intensity exercise 6 days a week and a week ago, I started way cutting back on fat and lower carb too. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I had half my thyroid removed in 1996. It seems that it takes twice as much for me to lose weight as the average person.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid...if my meds are not high enough or I don't that them every morning on an empty stomach they don't work. And if they don't work my scale won't move no matter what I do!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    We definitely have to work harder to get the pounds off.....and stay there!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work out like crazy I eat MOSTLY healthy and it doesn't seem to work. I had lost a lot of weight a while back and since gained it back and it seemed to come off easy the last time... but not so much this time. As far as I understand my thyroid isn't even that bad (I am on a very small dose of meds) and when i first went to have it looked into because I was convinced that I had a thyroid problem I was told to eat more because I was starving my body (which btw will mess with your metabolism and can CAUSE thyroid problems) anyhow I am in the same boat : (

Hang in there and make sure you are eating your goal calories and not starving your body without realizing it.
  • dianejones62
    Options
    I take synthroid for my hypothroid. It is harder to lose weight when you have problems with it. I also have secondary para thyroid disease. I am also in my early 60's too!!! Lots going against me but so far, so good. Hang in there.:wink:
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you!!!!
  • brookeaarnold
    brookeaarnold Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always take my meds in the morning on an empty stomach and the last time I had my thyroid checked, it was normal.

I'm like pilotgirl though, my thyroid isn't that bad either. I'm on 75 of levo. I will try to eat more, I guess that could be part of my problem is that since I lowered my fat grams and carbs and more protein, I'm not as hungry and with my workouts, I should be eating more but just not hungry.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't hungry either so I didn't think about how many calories I was actually eating vs exercising away and after I started to look at it I was only giving my body about 600 cals a day to live on.

It seems to be a delicate balance
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I am Hypo, too. I find that I have to get my thyroid checked every six months or so, even after being on Levoxyl for five years. The last couple of times my meds have actually been decreased. I am at .88 now (was previously up to .112). I never had a problem in my late thirties with the Hypo, but after 41, it became more of a problem. I can't eat what I used to and it's def harder to lose weight. I find that my gluten free diet helps. Wheat is known to cause inflammation in the body, and since I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, it does affect it. In fact, my meds went down after cutting out wheat and starting yoga.

Lucy
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    my mother has Hashimoto's (also known as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, your immune system attacks your thyroid gland. The resulting inflammation often leads to an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)) it worries me that i could develop it later in life also
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a hypothyroid and I'll say that it is definately harder to lose weight. I have found over the last year that doing stregnth training has made a HUGE difference. I wil say that I haven't lost on the scale (only like 5 lbs) but I have lowered my body fat % from 43% to 31% and have lost inches. I've also found that having my HRM to monitor my heart rate while I'm working out has made a big difference too. What I thought was a real calorie burning workout turned out not to be the case.
    I'm on a good size dose 2mg and have had a thryoid problem all my life.
  • aprilangel08
    Options
    I also have hypothroid. I am on Syntroid for that and it helps. It will really help me better since I've started working out this week.
  • wises5
    wises5 Posts: 53
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed over summer, & to be honest its hard I see people losing to pounds a week & since my big drop of 5 pounds the first week I have been a half of pound, or 1 pound. I can say in 37 days I have lost 9 pounds..it takes a while but its worth it.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you! I have to be so diligent with my exercise and food in order to lose.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo too, it's terrible, it's like a vicious cycle of not doing enough for your body. I think the worst part is the chronic fatigue. They are working on balancing my meds, but we haven't gotten there yet.