Heart rate monitor?

Options
Does a heart rate monitor tell you how many calories you burn?

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yup-- if you're looking for one, I'd suggest a polar brand.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yup! You just need to make sure you buy one that lists that as an option.

Also, please note that HRM's work best for calculating calories burned during aerobic exercise. I do use mine for strength training, but it's not 100% accurate due to the nature of weight training.
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar and I love it!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Costco has the body media for $149.99 and a 12 month subscrip. I couldnt live without mine
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I have a suunto and i love it!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I hear nothing but good things about Polar, it can be in the $80-$90+ range but if you are fully committed to working out then it's a good investment. I'm looking into a New Balance Pearl Fitness HRM at Target for $70.
  • HotMomma86
    Options
    Mine does. I just bought a Polar FT7 and I love it. The FT4 is a little cheaper and basically does the same thing. It tells me how long I worked out and how many calories.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Funny how you have always lived without it and now that you have it, you couldn't imagine life without it.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex with a chest strap and love it. I programmed it with all my info, age, weight, resting heart rate. I love that it tells me what zone my heart rate is in. For example, you don't have to kill yourself in zone 5 to lose weight, you still get a great workout in zone 3 and 4. It tells me how many calories I burned, what my lowest heart rate was, what it was at my highest, and lastly how long it took me to recover back to my resting rate. I love that!!!
  • joan_herzfeldt
    joan_herzfeldt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    njean888 is all this info onthe HRM downloadable? or can you only view it on the device?
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mine does. I just bought a Polar FT7 and I love it.

Me too! I mine on Craigslist for less than half what it retails for, and it works perfectly.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex with a chest strap and love it. I programmed it with all my info, age, weight, resting heart rate. I love that it tells me what zone my heart rate is in. For example, you don't have to kill yourself in zone 5 to lose weight, you still get a great workout in zone 3 and 4. It tells me how many calories I burned, what my lowest heart rate was, what it was at my highest, and lastly how long it took me to recover back to my resting rate. I love that!!!

Which Timex one do you have? I was looking at getting the T5G971...
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options

I read a ton of the reviews on this site and on Amazon and decided on this one. I'll let you know how it turns out, I should be receiving it next week.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I read a ton of the reviews on this site and on Amazon and decided on this one. I'll let you know how it turns out, I should be receiving it next week.

THANKS!
  • njean888
    Options
    njean888 is all this info onthe HRM downloadable? or can you only view it on the device?

I'm not sure if its downloadable. I only look at the info at each workout.
  • njean888
    Options

I have the T5H881, sorry for the late reply.
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    There are so many and the prices very alot I was looking on ebay I just don't know what to get :sad: