Time to be serious, really needing ideas

Options
:flowerforyou:

Hey everyone! I stumbled on this site awhile back, logged like one day, and didn't get back on for some time! So now I am saying...I want to be serious about being healthier and getting fit. I need friends who can motivate and encourage me! I also need workout ideas.... I am a mommy of a 1yr old and I have gained WAY too much weight after having my lil guy. I have what feels like a crazy daily schedule. I am up by 6am out the door no later than 6:45 and off to drop the kiddo off at Grandma's. At work by 8, my job is pretty laid back either at my desk or helping patients. Off at 5 and back on the road to pick up my angel, I get home between 7-7:30. Then have to feed, bathe, and get Mr. wonderful to bed. I used to work out ALOT before baby and before hubs and I enjoyed a few too many fantastic meals!! lol I was a at the gym 2hrs 3-4 times a week gal, and that doesn't seem to be an option for me now. SOoooo, I feel like I don't know what to do for a workout, or when...... please, please SUGGESTIONS are ever so greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• Sass_ee_mom
    Options
    I am new at this whole being healthy, exercising, working, and having kids thing too. I don't always have someone to watch my kids while I go to the gym so I have invested in at home workouts. Some of them are not very good and I have regreted buying them but I have found a few that are intense without being ridiculous. Try The Firm Scuplting Ball workout (I don't remember how much I paid) and my new favorite is Leslie Sansone Walk at Home ($9 at Walmart). The Walk at Home lets you choose your level from 1-5 miles and has boosts during the workout to give you a little extra when you want it. I hope this helps :wink:
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is an EXCELLENT 25 minute workout
  • aguerrera
    aguerrera Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're very busy! When I was in highschool, I was a dancer, played softball and field hockey. However, once I hit my senior year, I dropped everything to get a job. I quickly noticed a plump stomach that was never there before! Since then, I've been struggling the past four years. I'm a full-time student in college and have three jobs, so like yourself, I don't have much time. However, I found something that worked GREAT for me! I joined a local gym called CKO. It's JUST kickboxing and you can burn up to 1,000 cals in ONE CLASS! I immediatley began toning EVERYTHING but didn't really 'diet'. Now that I'm on this site AND doing kickboxing, I've lost 13 pounds. (since summer) If you don't have a CKO by you, there are other gyms that hold these type of classes such as LA boxing. CKO offers many classes, every day per week to fit your schedule.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    no reason that after bath you cant put the baby in a stroller & go for a walk. he'll probably fall asleep & then you just have to put him to bed when u get back.

theres lots of dvds you can do in the privacy of your livingroom after he's down for the night & as well as a walk during your lunch hour.

the point is to START, and not make excuses for why u cant. I too am up early (5am) and at work by 6:30, i have 4 kids & when i get home theres dinner & homework, baths etc. it took a few weeks of trying but i have managed to carve out an hour a day 3 days a week to go to the gym.

You may have to be a little creative. perhaps a gym by u has free babysitting (many do) or you could trade babysitting with a friend to give yourself an hour, or better yet, have your friend walk with you and you'll both get into shape!!! Best of luck
  • Crystel22
    Crystel22 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the site. I have recently joined myself and it was very difficult for me to find time to workout myself. I don't leave home for a job, but watch children in my home and they are all young of course. I will usually do the treadmill before they get here or before bed. I also have a Wii and there are alot of fun games out now that give you a good workout. Maybe you could get one of the games if you don't already have on. You could try doing something during your lunch time. You could also, take the little darling for a walk in the stroller or a bike ride. Try something little at first until you find a good routine. That's what I did.

Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you need some enouragement or anything else.
  • jilllk84
    jilllk84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out the On Demand fitness packages if you have a company that does extra channels. There are several 15-30m programs that are excellent. I like to do the dancing ones, but have enjoyed some of the more involved programs, like the ones from Jillian Michaels. Good luck!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You'll probably hate this but, get up an hour earlier. You'd be surprised how much exercise you can get done in that time. Plus, getting you're exercise done first thing makes it so you don't have to worry about getting time to do it later. Also, it doesn't make you tired for the rest of the day, as you might think, it gives you energy. It doesn't even need to be anything serious like running. Just doing yoga or walking works. Good luck to you!
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I get up a 5am every morning (sometimes sleep till 6-7 on the weekends) to get the boys to daycare and work by 0730. I'm off a little earlier than you, but I have an hour driving time for work. I have a desk job...feel like my bum has flattened I sit so much, but I've decided I won't let that stop me. Are you in an area where you can do little things like lunges, wall push ups, side leg lifts, tricep dips from a chair or edge of desk? Park in the back of the parking lot to get a little extra walk to and from the building. Pack healthy lunch and snack the night before. You can either get up at 5 to get in at least 45 minutes of cardio or after the little on goes to bed. I opt for bedtime usually bec. I'm not a big fan of 4am.

I actually play "airplane" with my four year old. It's like a leg press...my little guy weighs 50lbs, so 3 sets of 10 does wonders for my quads and hamstrings! lol
    I know time warner cable has exercise tv on demand that I use...all sorts of different workouts. And I just bought the 30 day shred DVD for like 7 bucks at Walmart.
  • barberella
    Options
    I'll "friend request" you and you can start to look at my diary if you're looking for food options.

If you just need some motivation, you've come to the right site!
    I also have a small child-a five year old lil girl, and I understand how demanding they are. I fortunately have a very small gym at my work that no one uses (but me) equipped with a racquetball court. So, I do spend at least 4 days down there for an hour on my lunch hour. On the weekends, I use the Wii a lot at home, but my daughter does NOT like that because i'm taking time away from her. So, I tell her to allow me 45 minutes or Mommy is going to have to go to the gym up the street. I HATE gyms, but that one is okay since it's at the community center..

Don't worry, if you're motivated enough, you will find that time to work out. And like I told my friend, if you don't have an hour to dedicate to working out all at once, try to break it up into increments.
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your baby he is adorable!! From a working mom of six you can do this!! Can you fit walking in at work? I walk during breaks, lunch and to my car. I can walk up to 4 miles some days. Also, I like the workout videos. I get u-verse on demand and there are all kinds of workouts you can do? Keep with this site and you will get all kinds of ideas. Best of Luck to you!!
  • deanie0515
    deanie0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    OH my goodness!! Seriously thank you, thank you everyone! This is exactly what I need!!! This is awesome :)
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    30 day Shred is AWESOME. I also like Denise Austin's Burn Fat Fast. But if you don't have much time, 30 Day Shred would be good because it's a 20 minute workout, well by the time you get through her talking and warming up probably 30 minutes, but my sister has went from 227 pounds to 159 so I definately know it works!