Eat Well? What the Hell!? Club

Options
so. i have been active with mfp since september and i have lost just over 20 pounds. i have not changed my eating habits majorly, but i have upped my water intake and exercise like crazy. however, i have not lost any weight since christmas, and i am starting to think that maybe it's time for me to start <deep, shuddering breath> eating well.

if you are a junk-a-holic who has thought (or is thinking) that working out exclusively is the answer to weight loss and have discovered (or are discovering) that it's going to take more than that, then join me in my quest to start <grimace, moan> eating well!

i'm talking loads of water! whole wheat pasta! five-a-day for fruits and veggies! x-ne on fast food! portion control! all that stuff. however, i want to do it in a way that i won't end up binging for a year, so i still plan to have my junk fix - just in moderation. this is a really big step for me, and i would love people who have the same mindset to hang around for encouragement and <sigh> accountability.

i would like a group that is not into weekly weigh-ins (not that we can't share those successes and frustrations!), but a group that will be more focused on gradually changing their eating habits so that eventually we find that we are all <trembling whisper> eating well. daily, weekly or monthly challenges...whatever. we can decide what the best starting place would be.

so what say you? any takers?

Replies

• hollytx
    Options
    sounds good to me! I LOVE junk food and am trying to eat better.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My cheetos addiction is proving really hard to break, lol
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    To reinforce your new dedication - I have heard repeatedly "abs are made in the kitchen" 80% of your physique is diet. Exercising is important but only part of it.

In my own experience I lost 8 pounds between Nov 1 and January 4 (two months) by eating less and somewhat better and exercising but I lost 7 pounds from Jan 4 to Feb 8 by keeping same exercising and eating a lot "cleaner"

My diary is open to friends if you want to add me. I am eating as little processed food as I can manage and trying to eat out less and drink less alcohol. It is making a difference!
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    funny... while i was reading your post a Jack in the box add was right next to it so I lost my train of thought heehee....HMMMMMMM ok ok I'm in!!!! add me :)
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i would love to join and help encourage each other. i think i eat pretty well most of the time, but at times, i use the word "pretty" very loosely :0)!!
  • AmyKessler
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE junk food! I've used mfp to 'budget' my calories for the day so I can have a 'treat' every day. Lol, it's an excuse to eat junk food, but I'm only 2 lbs away from my goal, so I must be doing something right.

It's gotten a lot easier for me. I just tell myself that if I eat good 90% of the time, I can do what I want 10%.

Good luck!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had something e-mailed to me not too long ago that goes well with your goals. It was called the transition diet, which isn't really a diet as much as it is about realigning how you see food. I've been working on the first week this week and think this would be a perfect tool to help so you're not overwhelmed with making too many changes too quickly. check it out:

http://www.beachbody.com/product/newsletters/nl_443.do
  • kee9kee9
    Options
    This is just what I need. I find counting calories very difficult because if I eat something "bad" (like the Cheetos I love), then I just end up skipping a meal to make up for it or exercising a little more to increase my calories. I know I need to start eating healthier overall to enjoy a healthier life. Btw, I don't like to do weekly weigh-ins either. They are very discouraging for me because the scale is not moving.
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do yourself and your junkaholic body a favor and please don't go gung ho all at once or you will go right back to the bingeing quick!! If you're serious about wanting to make long term food changes that you won't resent yourself for, pick one thing every few weeks and cut it out or modify it to a healthy option, this way when you crave (french fries) your body craves a baked potatoe no butter (I know, it sound nuts, but yukon golds are a staple at work when all my employees bring back wendy's for lunch).

I'm tellin ya, I've tried every "diet" most "programs"... and they work great, if you want to be on a"program" the rest of your life. When I decided to do this for me I promised myself I would NOT be deprived... and I haven't been. Once I got rid of the fast fried foods and high processed crap, my body honestly does not respond well to them anymore and I don't even crave a lot of those prior weaknesses... slow and steady will win you this race and give you the tools to continue being healthy even after you've reached your "goal weight".

Don't cut all the things you love, one thing every few weeks until you get to where you want to be!!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    this is great! i'm glad there are so many people sharing my boat! how about we start by brainstorming over the next few days what a good first step would be for a weekly challenge. we'll figure it out over the weekend and have our first 'eat well? what the hell!?' challenge starting monday.

cheetos are the devil.

grouch, thanks for that article - it's like c25k for your belly! i think it will be very helpful.

and everyone start friending up, too. i'm loving this!
  • hollytx
    Options
    I have stopped eating all the sugar and candy (well, most of the time) and am replacing it with coffee with fat free creamer and sugar free flavor syrups. That has helped some. What to do about the salty stuff?? :)
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My "junk food" is beer. I LOVE beer. I have to limit myself to how many I get a week now. I have had two so far this week. I don't eat much sugary stuff but allow myself one or two small pieces of chocolate in the week, if that.

I am totally on board with this. hardest thing for me right now is eating right while I am finishing up school and working. My work folks I swear eat out every day at Chinese, fast food, pizza, fried chicken, you name it they eat it. Worst is when they get fast food around me. I am surrounded.