low sodium diet-salt substitute

Options
Hi there. Do any of you use the salt substitute "NOSALT"? I need to reduce my intake of sodium and I have been told that this substitute uses Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride.

I don't add that much salt to my meals once they are prepared, so it would be more for the cooking (soups, stews etc)

thank you all for your help :wink:

Replies

• sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use it. Tastes a little different but great for adding to recipes that need a little oomph.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This is also great if you need more potassium in your diet (high intensity cardio / weight training workouts). I haven't personally used it, but my wife had for years when she had diabetes.
  • jamgal789
    jamgal789 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Salt your food at the end of cooking- like when it's on your plate. It will taste saltier b/c it's right on top.

love salt. But.... I'm learning that the best low sodium alternative to table salt is NO SALT!! My taste buds are changing...slowly but surely.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it. Sea salt is pretty good because you don't use as much but it is still salt and has as much sodium as table salt. I love Mrs. Dash. They have different kinds but there is no salty taste what so ever.

And yes there is a direct connection between potassium and sodium. Increasing your potassium can help counteract the sodium. People with low potassium also can suffer from high blood pressure.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi - My husband and I both have high bp and we have been using Diamond Crystal IODIZED SALT SENSE - it's real salt but has 33% less sodium per tsp than regular salt. The actual sodium is 390 mg for 1/4 tsp. I don't use much salt as I don't need any more help retaining water - I go for more pepper instead. Love lemon/pepper seasoning too.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    My husband salts EVERYTHING...before he even tasts it! And he being one who is set in his ways wouldn't change. So I being the sneeky (in a good way!) one I am filled out salt shaker 3/4 full of No Salt and 1/4 of reg salt! He still salts everything and hasn't even noticed. I figure its better than full on salt!!

I myself hardly ever salt anything. I use so many other spices and most everything you buy these days has some sorta sodium already in it anyway. but yeah, give the No Salt a try!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need a salt substitute if you're eating properly. If you're eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and low fat dairy, and are avoiding processed foods you shouldn't have a problem with your sodium levels.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My husband salts EVERYTHING...before he even tasts it! And he being one who is set in his ways wouldn't change. So I being the sneeky (in a good way!) one I am filled out salt shaker 3/4 full of No Salt and 1/4 of reg salt! He still salts everything and hasn't even noticed. I figure its better than full on salt!!

I myself hardly ever salt anything. I use so many other spices and most everything you buy these days has some sorta sodium already in it anyway. but yeah, give the No Salt a try!
    love that idea!! haha :laugh: where do you buy this NOSALT i am actually low on potassium accord to my food diary (although my bloodwork was fine last time i checked so i dont know what that means.

**noadditives- dairy has tons of sodium, i know cuz i live on cheese... trying to cut back but i will always :heart: cheese