Newbie. Need some help setting goals!

Options
Hello,

I hope you might have some advice for me on what goals to set and how to achieve them. I'm female, 23 years old, 5ft10 and 138 pounds. However, I still wear a US size 10 or 12.

I'd really like to be a size 6 or 8, so I asked my doctor at my physical today about this. She told me that my BMI was normal and then asked whether I wanted to be referred to counseling for eating disorder - which I, believe me, I don't have. So I didn't really feel like talking about it with her anymore.

I used to eat food that I've now realized was absolutely horrible for me. I am on a calorie restricted diet with MFP but have been concentrating on eating healthily. I've haven't really cut down on the amount I eat, I just try to make better caloric choices. I do try to exercise fairly regularly, mostly on the treadmill or elliptical, and I seem to have fairly normal strength, so I must have some muscles!

Does anyone have any advice what a good target weight should be. Or on how I can lose a clothing size or two without substantially affecting my weight?

Thank you.

Replies

• rmoyer243
    Options
    well you shouldn't lose that much more you are only like 10 pounds away from being under weight. have you tried yoga to tone your muscles? it gives you a great workout.
  • cheangela
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and felt the same way at 140. Have a professional measure your body fat percentage, use that as a measurement tool and stay off the scale. Rachel Cosgrove has a great and highly effective plan that all of my friends are raving about... Total Body Breakthrough. My girl Jill dropped 15% body fat in only 2 months (that is seriously EPIC). I'm starting the plan today.
  • cheangela
    Options
    If it's available in your area, I recommend Bikram Yoga too.
  • Kelly_Pete
    Options
    Wow - I am in your exact same situation. I am 5'11" and wear the same size. I'm a normal weight, but am not "fit and lean" like I feel I need to be for health reasons. I have also changed my eating habits, replacing empty calories with nutrient-dense foods. I have found that podcasts and web sites from Nutrition Diva are great resources for eating healthy and staying fit (here's the link - www.nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com).

I would also love some advice on how to be more fit without necessarily losing a lot of weight. I want to be comfortable wearing shorts this summer, but I also just want to feel healthier, more energetic, and more optimistic about my health in general. I've found an exercise program that I LOVE and that really pushes me out of my comfort zone, but how do I make overall wise choices about my health from here?
  • james3302
    Options
    Is your stomach flat? Some women just have wide hips. Nothing wrong with that.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 and 138, you are exactly the same size as my daughter. She is thin! She is trying to do the same as you, get into smaller clothes, and look firmer. I keep telling her to not lose any more weight though, and to just tone up some more. Try strength/weight training instead of cardio exercises. The treadmill and elliptical are more for cardio or fat burning, but by toning up and strengthening, you may be able to get a leaner look without losing any more weight. You seem to be doing the right things by watching what you eat and eating healthy food, and as long as you are getting enough calories, and eating your exercise calories, you should be fine.
  • abg21
    abg21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. I think I'll see if I can find a yoga class somewhere that fits into my schedule!