TREADMILL BROKE!

Options
After exercising 6 days a week since Jan. 2nd, for the fist time in my life, my treadmill decides to give up!! BOO!! It's too cold to walk outside with my kids. Can anyone reccommend some good cardio exercises to do? I don't have any workout videos and for right now, joining a gym is not an option. I tried walking up and down my stairs today, but can only do it for about 2min. I have bad knees. HELP!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    The library has DVDs you can check out. They will even mail them to you here.

Get Netflix streaming, they have tons of work out videos you can watch for free on your TV or computer. $9 a month.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    :sad:

That would mess me up!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ooh - I didn't even think of netflix!! Thanks so much!
  • 2ndHalf
    Options
    Oh NO...Mine started acting crazt today too. Both of those are good options, Good Luck.
  • Baroque_Ja
    Baroque_Ja Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally like walking more when it's cold versus warm, I think probably more calories are burnt. It's -30 right now, but that only makes me walk faster ;) Of course I am wearing a balaclava, snowpants a parka and a knit hat.( I don't know if anyone other than a Canuck knows what a toque is)
  • purplefreak60
    purplefreak60 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have Comcast On Demand, go to Exercise TV. There are a TON of free workouts there!
  • loriefolk
    Options
    I would be a very sad person if my treadmill broke :(
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I personally like walking more when it's cold versus warm, I think probably more calories are burnt. It's -30 right now, but that only makes me walk faster ;) Of course I am wearing a balaclava, snowpants a parka and a knit hat.( I don't know if anyone other than a Canuck knows what a toque is)

I hope it's one of those old school super tall ones. :laugh:
  • KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jump Roping? It's a good cardio work out and it is semi low impact for your knees. I have known lots of people who have had knee problems but they could still jump rope some.
  • ChelsRich
    Options
    Crank up some music and dance in your living room!
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have internet please go to www.exercisetv.tv! Free workouts everyday and they add new ones monthly. That website makes it inexcusable to EVER miss a workout. I really like Kendell Hogan too. He will whip you into shape and the Sardone walk away the pound vids is easy cardio. Good luck!
  • blottig
    Options
    You can try doing low impact cardio like knee raises, kicks (side, front & back), boxing moves done in a squat, and lunges if your knees can handle it. I like the Leslie Sansone walking workouts too, as they are easy on your knees but still get your heart pumping. Those are available through your cable's on demand (if you have cable) and also can be checked out from the library.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I dont know how old your kids are but I would take them grocery shopping or walk through the mall for an hour or so. You get your errands done and you all get some exercise. I like the idea of getting exercise videos from the library. Never tried them myself but sounds like an inexpensive fix to hopefully a short term problem.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    so sad!! Dance your butt off!! burns major calories if you shake it fast!! dont need knees if you just move your waist and arms
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    There is an app called iTreadmill. It gives you treadmill settings and controls so that you can jog/walk in place and keep track of your miles, steps, speed, time, calories burned, pace, ect. I have been using it as a pedometer and have found it to be very accurate.
    It was recommended to me by another MFP member. Maybe it will work for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbc0bxzN6A0&feature=related

http://www.itreadmill.net/iTreadmill/Home.html
  • Daisygurl7
    Options
    Execellent Ideas Everyone! I don't know what I'd do without you!! :)
  • Daisygurl7
    Options
    The library has DVDs you can check out. They will even mail them to you here.

Get Netflix streaming, they have tons of work out videos you can watch for free on your TV or computer. $9 a month.

OH MY! I just did the Dance Aerobics on Netflix...I think I'm gonna keel over!! LOL Thanks for the suggestion!