Too much ab work?

Options
I would like to do a full body workout 3 times a week. Would it be too much to do an ab workout 5 days a week? I know your supposed to let your body rest but how often? I would also like to do cardio 5 to 6 days a week. I am never sure if I am doing too much or too little. Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    i suppose it depends on how intense they are. i once did the 8 minute abs video everyday for a month (I was sore every day for the first 3 weeks too). How much are you doing now? If you are doing nothing to very little now, I could definitely see you burning out doing too much at once.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would like to do a full body workout 3 times a week. Would it be too much to do an ab workout 5 days a week? I know your supposed to let your body rest but how often? I would also like to do cardio 5 to 6 days a week. I am never sure if I am doing too much or too little. Does anyone have any advice?

For the Abs and your full body workout just make sure you don't work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row. This would decrease your Ab work to 3-4 days/week.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think cardio 5x a week would be better for achieving your goals. But I do know a lot of people that do crunches daily. The think is though that without doing cardio first you aren't burning a significant amount of calories. So it really depends if your goal is to loose weight or just tone up.
  • LaCubana9
    Options
    I'm curious about this too! I've been working my abs 6 times a week cuz I heard they recover quickly. All my different Beach Body videos tell me it's safe to do the ab-concentrated work out every day, even on rest days. Can't wait to read what everyone else posts, though!
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am doing cardio as well, I need to burn fat but I want the muscles back in that area also. Thanks!!
  • britia1
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and I just asked her this very question last night! her advice was to skip a day inbetween. She said ab muscles are the same as any other muscle and need a day to receover. She is the expert, but I my theory is if you aren't sore, then go for it, but then you probably aren't working them hard enough in the 1st place.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too! I've been working my abs 6 times a week cuz I heard they recover quickly. All my different Beach Body videos tell me it's safe to do the ab-concentrated work out every day, even on rest days. Can't wait to read what everyone else posts, though!

Really beach body products say that. Tony Horton, from Beach Body workouts Power 90 and P90X, acutally says in the video not to work abs every day. He says "you don't work other muscles every day and you shouldn't work your abs every day, especially ab ripper x"
  • LaCubana9
    Options
    Woah, I don't have any of Tony Horton's work outs or Power 90 (getting this soon) or P90x. I just went by what Turbo Jam and Slim in 6 told me from Beach Body. Maybe it's because they're not as hard core.