very FRUSTRATED

Options
I have been on MPF since January 31,2011 as of today I have lost 10 lbs. Which I know that is not the bad, but I have just recently added more workout in so now I am burning anywhere from 700 to 1000 calories a day. I have not lost a pound this week. PLEASE HELP!!!

Replies

• ellen1980
    Options
    I find for me it takes a good week for my body to get use to a big change/addition in exercise. I would give yourself another few days and then weigh again. Are you eating more calories the days you are working out more?
  • missyham
    Options
    When you burn extra calories, you need to eat more, especially good fats like evoo, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto your weight.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Flat lines are quite common. When it happens to me I increase my water, chart every single bite I consume, and do not drink my calories. I increase the raw veggies. Eat at the same time every day, weigh at the same time every day and treat myself to buble baths.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets a plateau now and then - varying your exercise can shift things on. I switched to a bit of jogging instead of walking, and also switched diet to very low carb just for 3 days and I broke through it. Don't worry too much you'll get through this. The body is very clever at adapting to our routines, which is why variation is useful...

Regards, David
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Flat lines are quite common. When it happens to me I increase my water, chart every single bite I consume, and do not drink my calories. I increase the raw veggies. Eat at the same time every day, weigh at the same time every day and treat myself to buble baths.

I'm glad you said this because I'm CERTAIN bubble baths increase my weight loss! ; ) Must be the relaxation.
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    it is so hard to eat more.... I just dont feel hungry. Right now I am doing P90x, Biggest Loser on the Kinect, Biggest Loser Last Chance workout and elliptical. I drink a Protein shake after I workout. I drink 8 glasses of water a day and I keep track of everthing that goes into my month. I am in my friends wedding at the end of July and I would love to lose about 40-50 lbs. .
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't stress too much about it, our bodies hold onto weight more easily when we're stressed! Just do all the lovely things the people before me have mentioned and you should be fine!
  • nieshberry
    Options
    most of the weight you initially lose is water weight, the easiest to lose. Don't get frustrated, concentrate on losing 1-2 lbs a week. Consistency is the key! You can do it!:happy:
  • karljp
    karljp Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just peeked your diary, you are way under your calorie goal every day. Body needs fuel, feed it, expecially if you up your excercise.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you add more, it's a good idea to eat more. It may feel counterproductive, but it's for proper fueling for the extra burn. Plus, you won't be deteriorating muscle which may happen when you're undernourished and burning more calories. But don't stress about it. Stressing will cause your body to counteract any stress [including exercise] and not want to perform correctly. Patience. It's all about patience.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    it is so hard to eat more.... I just dont feel hungry

try eating small healthy snacks throughout the day. (raw almonds, carrots, grapes, etc) even if you aren't hungry. just a hand few of almonds or grapes will add some calories
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Generally I have found that weight loss is a little delayed with a big change like that... keep with it, you should see better results in 1-2 more weeks.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    congrats on the 10 lbs lost! That's great! I know how frustrating it is. I work out about 3 hours a day currently (training/conditioning), and every now and then I'll go a couple of weeks where my scale refuses to give up more than 1/2 a pound. It's days like those that I have to try to convince myself that throwing the stupid thing out the window is not the answer. And then I'll get on the scale one weigh-in day and will have lost like 5 pounds. Or I'll do measurements and have lost inches. Or will fit into my motivation jeans - that happened yesterday. And they fit fit, they're not even tight...but I've only lost 1/2 pound in the past three weeks. Go figure. The human body is a weird thing.
  • gavin03
    Options
    I exercise the same way. Six days a week and I wear a heart rate monitor and I burn the same amount. I do make sure I eat those lost calories as well because your body will go in Starvation mode. It seems like alot of food but if your daily calorie intake without exercise is 1200 and you go and exercise and burn 700 then it would be like your only eating 500 calories. So make sure you replenish the food lost. Don't get discouraged. Your doing great.
  • marinkydinkydink
    Options
    Hi Liz. You are doing great!!! Sometimes the scale stands still for a few moments. Stick to your plan and your body will begin losing again. I would be careful of over-exercising. It can work against you in the long run. You don't want to become a compulsive exerciser. The weight WILL come off. Eat right (within your calorie limit), exercise regularly, and drink plenty of water. Plateaus happen. They can be frustrating and annoying - but they don't last forever. You'll get there. Good for you for what you have accomplished so far! YOU are amazing!
  • countrymom75
    countrymom75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was the same way my first month, but I had noticed on the scale my muscle number had gone down with the weight and during the second weigh in my weight didnt' go down as much but my muscle number went up. So you may have lost water and muscle the first time and now what you are losing slowly is the fat because you are excerising and gaining more muscle and toning the ones you already have. hope that helps?
    keep working at it though, don't let it get you down!
  • thuyduong0944
    Options
    You may have hit a plateau, if you are doing the same exercise routine since January. What I mean by plateau, is your body/heart has gotten used to the routine. For example, in the past your heart rate may have hit 164 beats per minute running at the same pace. Now your heart rate may be at 148 beats per minute running at the same pace as before. Interval training/cross training may help this. Either increase the intensity, extend the time frame, do different exercises, alternate between cardio and strength training, etc.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes yes. Stay above 1200 and eat the calories you burn during exercise. Starvation Mode is real (scientific term: Adaptive thermogenesis). Our body adapts to the lower calories by slowing the metabolism. Then it stops burning fat, stores what you eat and digs into your muscles for fuel. So you end up gaining weight and losing muscle mass. That muscle is what burns fat!

Switch up your routine or change it or maybe even take a week's break. And up your calories. I upped my calories last week to 1500 and I didn't exercise for a week. I got back to it yesterday (yes it was rough) and am sticking with the 1500 and I dropped another pound (I'm not big and I lose in .2 increments). This time it was a whole pound!

I'll be starting P90X once I get my pull up bar and resistance bands (just ordered from Amazon).
    I also tested my HRM by leaving on for 24 hours on a lazy day and I burned an estimate of 2300 calories in one day. I'm 5'2" and 123.4lbs.
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody. I am going to try to eat more. It is not so much the weight but I want to lose the inches.. I am ordering my bridesmaid dress next weekend and the wedding is at the end of July. I so want to lose the weight I dont care if I have to buy 3 dresses.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    it is so hard to eat more.... I just dont feel hungry. Right now I am doing P90x, Biggest Loser on the Kinect, Biggest Loser Last Chance workout and elliptical. I drink a Protein shake after I workout. I drink 8 glasses of water a day and I keep track of everthing that goes into my month. I am in my friends wedding at the end of July and I would love to lose about 40-50 lbs. .

try more water. I was instructed to take my body weight and cut in half, that's how many ounces of water I need to drink a day. If you divide that number by 8 you will get the total number of glasses to log into MFP.