Shakes...?

Options
Hi all, whats the point of drinking a shake? I see them in diaries and I am wondering if they are for protein, weight loss, meal substitute? What are the bennifits of having shakes? Any recommendations?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to try them too and would love the feedback as well..
  • pattyisinaz
    pattyisinaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    All of the above. :o)
  • mudpiechick
    mudpiechick Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love the Mcdonalds smoothie and for me it's not only good but it's so convenient. It just works for me. I always have a hard time reaching calories and that a boost first thing in the morning toward my calorie goal.
  • MattAxtell
    MattAxtell Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yea all of the above. There are different shakes for different purposes.

Bodybuilders for example drinks shakes with tons of protein (50+) for building muscle fast.
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    All of the above. Also portability. Liquids aren't that filling for long though, so I wouldn't recommend them as regular meal replacements.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love the eas protein powder shakes! They add protein with low calories and low fat!
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons....
    Protein shakes when lifting, or wanting a light breakfast before a workout
    Supplement shakes for when you don't eat properly and want proper intake -- vitamins, vegetables, etc.
    Recovery drinks - boosts of energy, lessen soreness, etc.

As above, portability is HUGE! Was in a rush last night and made a Shakeology shake to take with me for dinner.
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    I will have a protein shake after working out for muscle recovery.
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd day of protein shakes after a hard workout and i love them! Just a scoop of powder and 8oz of water, so easy! It helps to build muscle, slim down, even helps keep you from getting sore...
  • junderwood1964
    Options
    The only reason I drink shakes is for a meal sub ... I typically have never eaten breakfast.. My doctor told me that was bad ... for several reasons.. Metabolism in perspective to what you want to know… The EAS Advant EDGE Carb Control pre made shakes (Sold @ Sams) is convenient … and is a good substitute for a for a meal … Plus it fills you up .. I hate the feeling of being hungry .. I love the Chocolate Fudge
  • johncinarch
    Options
    The reason why I drink a protein shake after my workout is because solid food takes more time to digest and to break down the protein and send it to the muscles and protein shakes only take about 30 minutes to reach the muscles after ingestion. Your body needs the protein to heal the muscles after an intensive workout.
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The reason why I drink a protein shake after my workout is because solid food takes more time to digest and to break down the protein and send it to the muscles and protein shakes only take about 30 minutes to reach the muscles after ingestion. Your body needs the protein to heal the muscles after an intensive workout.

Interesting!!
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I really like the GNC Be-Buff Shakes. I drink them for breakfast on my way to work. Protein, fiber, and they have really helped my hair and nails!
  • ANewton401
    Options
    Lots of reasons....
    Protein shakes when lifting, or wanting a light breakfast before a workout
    Supplement shakes for when you don't eat properly and want proper intake -- vitamins, vegetables, etc.
    Recovery drinks - boosts of energy, lessen soreness, etc.

As above, portability is HUGE! Was in a rush last night and made a Shakeology shake to take with me for dinner.

I can always rely on you, good info!!!
  • ashslimmedown20
    Options
    I've been having herbalife shakes in the morning and they are pretty good and low in calories and I like them because they keep me full for longer.
  • IvyEvelyn
    Options
    I use Prolab whey protein (strawberry) with my breakfast everyday and on my weight training days I drink half during my workout and right after my workout I drink the other half. I only use one scoop. Thats all! It really helps with my energy levels and recovery.
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've been having herbalife shakes in the morning and they are pretty good and low in calories and I like them because they keep me full for longer.

I also have been using Herbalife products since June 2010 and I am down 70+ lbs. I love them they do keep me fuller longer and calories are around 110-120 with 15-20 grams of protein..
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes but occasionally I have protein shakes as well after a hrd workout if my body just isn't up to eating afterwards.
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    They really are for all of the above. Every powder does something different. If I am in a hurry or not in the mood I will have one at breakfast. But for me they are really about my treat after working out. Like a milkshake only healthy and I am so worn out after working out that I do not have the stomach to eat.

Also a way to make them more filling so you can use them as a great meal replacement is to add a little uncooked oatmeal. You do not even notice it.

An example of my fav shake..

protein+ powder
    Vanilla Frozen yogurt Low fat
    Raspberries
    Skim milk
    oatmeal....

I have a plastic booster juice shake cup so I fill it after blending and would swear I am drinking a raspberry milkshake....Filling tasty and is a little feel good too....mmmmmmm
  • ANewton401
    Options

I also have been using Herbalife products since June 2010 and I am down 70+ lbs. I love them they do keep me fuller longer and calories are around 110-120 with 15-20 grams of protein..

Where can you get these?