Can Anyone tell me...

Options
Can anyone tell me how accurate the calorie estimate of how many calories you should consume in a day is? On my biggest loser game for the wii it estimates a little more than 100 calories less than this does and my fitbit website gives me 100 more calories than this one does? I don't know what to believe.

Replies

• breckmc
    Options
    In that case, I'd go in the middle.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Same here... it seems to underestimate. That's why I posted this last night. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180209-attention-data-junkies-what-is-your-activity-level-set-to

It didn't exactly turn into a hot topic. :huh:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I sat down with my doctor and took her a copy of all the suggested nutrition goals that MFP/ my trainer gave me. The numbers were not where they should have been to keep a long story short. In fact there were some serious mistakes given my individual situation. It is different for everyone depending on your fat%, BMI, age, sex, health (I am diabetic), activity level, etc. It is going to be different for everyone. What is good for one person may not work for another.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason all of them are giving you different answers is because you can't accurately measure you Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) unless you get tested for it. All of these programs use your estimated BMR to calculate how many calories you can eat per day and lose weight. The measurements the guidelines its giving you are estimates based on your height, weight, age, sex. I would go with what one other person said and go with the "middle" ground. That being said...there are people who are extremely caught up in making sure they don't go over or under on their daily calories...I give myself a 10% margin because since I don't know exactly what my BMR is. Keep in mind that your BMR decreases with age and with loss of lean body mass.

Hope that helps a little bit! I'm not a scientist or health expert by any means...but if you research facts on the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) it might help you a bit!