Recovery Drinks?

Options
Anyone use Recovery Drinks? And What kind? I'm Looking for a good product!! I understand taking a protein shake alone will not give me what I need!

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think a protein shake or powder would do just fine. P90X pushes their products hard. I've read a lot on this site of people saying chocolate milk is a great after workout drink. I usually have dinner within an hour of exercise so I get a good amount of protein with that. And I have some protein before bed. It keeps my muscles from getting sore.

Oh and I'll be starting P90X once I get my pull up bar and resistance bands which I just ordered.
  • mwl40
    mwl40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For an effective recovery drink, you want a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein. Chocolate milk fits this bill quite nicely and is cheap and good tasting.
  • SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Chocolate Milk, or P90X Recovery drink if you are working out hardcore - it taste great too.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been using Weider's Dynamic Muscle Builder, which is pretty much another protein mix. I throw it in a blender with some milk and a banana and enjoy the creamy goodness. I ordered some of the Results and Recovery Formula and see if I don't feel a difference in my workout.
  • busygirl1
    Options
    For an effective recovery drink, you want a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrates to protein. Chocolate milk fits this bill quite nicely and is cheap and good tasting.

excellent advice, but unless you are working out for over 90 minutes with less than 24hours between workouts you shouldn't need 'recovery' drinks, a good diet should see you right.
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First of all you're going to love P90X!! I was just taking my protein shake after my workout (GNC brand)..
    But I have been reading that I need something a little more after my workouts... hmmmm it said something with more carbs!!
    CARBS Is a bad word!! ;-)
  • busygirl1
    Options
    First of all you're going to love P90X!! I was just taking my protein shake after my workout (GNC brand)..
    But I have been reading that I need something a little more after my workouts... hmmmm it said something with more carbs!!
    CARBS Is a bad word!! ;-)

Carbs and not a bad word hun, they are an excellent energy source for all your muscles! Protein is excellent for growth and repair but you need your carbs to charge up those energy stores. People are very anti-carb these days but they are a far better energy source that fats or protein. x x