Quick dinner ideas

Options
I'm trying to get away from the fast food dinner on the way to school thing. So, I need help coming up with dinner ideas that can be made in about 15 mins. All I have so far are sandwiches, or microwave dinners >.< Help please!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I make casseroles on Sat and Sunday and then freeze individual portion sizes and eat them gradually during the week before class. Mushroom casserole from 101cookbooks.com is my fav....so is black bean quiona (not sure where its from).
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    If you have a crockpot, this can be a life saver!!
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made an "Italian Egg Sandwich" last night which was awesome but super easy, like this:
    http://tasteinspired.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/italian-egg-sandwich/

I used smaller bread slices, more tomato sauce and just a bit of 2% cheese. I got Newman's Marinara - just make sure it doesn't have too much sugar and some nice chunks. There you go, carbs, protein, some veggie and a good fat.
    It's about as fast as you can fry an egg.

It's a sandwich if you consider everything with bread a sandwich, but I think it's a meal. Mine looked like this:
    http://www.bananatummy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/wpid-2011-02-23-18.02.30-1.jpg
  • hog2east
    Options
    One of my favorite quick meals.

Two Pre-cooked chicken breasts thawed in microwave (4 minutes) 110 calories each
    Add Mexican 1/8 cheese to both chicken breasts and throw back in microwave for 1.5 minutes. 90 calories
    Add Cholula hot sauce to both chicken breasts.

Bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots with cheese or seasoning (5 minutes in microwave) whole bag about 120 calories.

This is my on the run quick meal I keep going back to every week. Fresh grilled chicken and fresh vegetables are better but I keep these in the freezer for when I am on the run.
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    oooh that egg sandwich looks delish!!!
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken and Mac and Cheese!! Cover boneless, skinless chicken breast half with Shake and Bake, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, whip up some Kraft Mac and Cheese (light prep of course) and you got yourself a quick and delicious meal!! Under 500 calories ;)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Defrost salmon, season it with something and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I like to season mine in salt, pepper and dill, but will be trying dijon mustard and brown sugar this evening.

I roast massive trays of veggies every Sunday (and by 'roast' I mean 'bake' because I don't use roasting pans). Whatever veggies you like, tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and baked at 350 from 30min to an hour (depending on the veggies you chose). I divide the veggies into single serving containers and eat with whatever protein I've prepared. That is my equivalent of a home cooked lean cuisine.

I also like pork tenderloin. I bake one each week (seasoned in something...it's always different. This week it was Tastefully Simple's 'onion onion' mix) and divide into 3oz servings. Keep a few days worth in the fridge and freeze the rest. Usually lasts me 10 days.

Eggs are also the FASTEST food. I am LOVING poached eggs in salsa these days. Just dump some salsa in a shallow pan, heat on medium until it bubbles, add eggs, cover for four minutes for runny middles, five for firmer middles. Delish!

Charmagne
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BTW, the egg sandwich is on a salad plate, not a regular plate - the bread is slices of bagueete
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cheangela
    Options
    I pre-cook brown rice or other nutritious grains and individually pack 1/2 cup portions in freezer bags. That way when I get home and need a quick dinner all I have to do is throw a little water, veggies, and frozen rice with some spices and "stir (non)fry" them.
  • knelson422
    Options
    Something that helps me is to have a "prep day" once a week, or every couple of weeks where I cook a bunch of meat, cut up veggies, roast and puree them if I am going to use them in soup or something. Then when it is time to make dinner, I have most of the ingredients prepped, they just have to be mixed together. Tacos, soups, pasta, meat and rice dishes are a breeze if most of the prep work is done. I also make a big pot of soup and freeze it so it lasts for several meals. Good luck!!
  • slimnik129
    Options
    It is really helpful to have a prep day..leave lot of veggies, brown rice, quinoa , protein etc. prepared in the fridge...then just heat and season whatever you want!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    If you have a crockpot, this can be a life saver!!

I do have a crockpot!! I just don't know what to make with it, other than roasts w/ veggies. LOL

Thank you for all the ideas... I like the idea of doing a sunday cooking day and portion/freezing everything for the week. I don't like the idea of cooking all day haha, but I think I might try that.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite fast crockpot recipes that takes very little time to throw together in the morning before work. I got it from Sparkrecipes.com. My boyfriend gobbles this right up. Changing the types of salsa that you use will make it feel like an entirely different recipe every time. :flowerforyou:

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

480 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

NOTES:
    You may use half the packet of taco seasoning (I have started doing this to reduce sodium content myself)

Some slow cookers cook faster than others. Mine is a true slow cooker (have had it over 10 years.) The newer ones cook a bit faster and you may have to adjust your cooking time based on that!

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g
  • kimberlyfla1
    Options
    I bake two spaghtti squash in the oven on 350 for about an hr. Cut them in half, scrape out the seeds and place the open side down on a cookie sheet with some water in the bottom. Take them out of the oven and let them cool so you can handle them. Use a fork to scrape out the flesh. It comes out in strings like spaghetti. Then just put your favorite low cal pasta sauce on top(I like Newman's Own Marinara) with some chopped veggies mixed in and a little parmasean cheese on top. Yum!!! It's a little sweeter than pasta, but it so low calorie. I usually have 1.5 cups of squash (only 63 cals) and 3/4 cup Newman's Own Marinara which is 105 and 1.5 tablespoons parmasean 30 cals. For 198 calories you'l have a huge bowl of food. Two squash last me 4 days. So, cook them on the weekend and eat them for half the week. It is delicious and filling and I never get tired of it.
  • Maztastic
    Options
    Tonight I had couscous (just put in a dish and top with hot water) to which I added dried chillies for a bit of zing then cooked a selection of frozen vegetables (green beans, brocolli, peas and sweetcorn) and topped it with a sardine from a can of sardines in sunflower oil. I calculated my portion size which had 375g of vegetables to be 480 calories.

Now off to do a couple of hours swim training so will have soon burned that off.
  • izzys1mom
    Options
    This is a yummy recipe....the only thing I do different is I make my own salsa to try and cut even more sodium.....So nice sitting there just waiting for you to get home and eat :)

Here is one of my favorite fast crockpot recipes that takes very little time to throw together in the morning before work. I got it from Sparkrecipes.com. My boyfriend gobbles this right up. Changing the types of salsa that you use will make it feel like an entirely different recipe every time. :flowerforyou:

Slow-Cooker Salsa Chicken

480 Minutes to Prepare and Cook

Ingredients
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

NOTES:
    You may use half the packet of taco seasoning (I have started doing this to reduce sodium content myself)

Some slow cookers cook faster than others. Mine is a true slow cooker (have had it over 10 years.) The newer ones cook a bit faster and you may have to adjust your cooking time based on that!

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g