Gluten free

Options
I was just diagnosed as being gluten intolerant and was wondering if anyone else had this diagnosis and had some advice on a grocery list or was willing to let me see what their food diary looked like?

Replies

• Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you dont mind me asking what were your symptoms. I have been thinking about being tested????
  • jessickafree
    Options
    I actually work as a cook and we specialize in "special" diets like gluten free, any food allergies you can think of, PKU, vegetarians of all types, you name it! If you want any recipes or anything like that just let me know. For starters if you can find Bob's Red Mill products they have some that 100% gluten free. They have bread mixes, brownies, oats, stuff like that.
  • megamochabombs
    megamochabombs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating gluten free since the new year due to a thyroid condition - it's actually pretty easy, you just have to do some label reading at the beginning to understand what to avoid. I just realized my guilty pleasure planter's chocolate and nut trail mix contains WHEAT! They use wheat for the coating on the m&m's. Crazy. I didn't even suspect. I've been using Mequite flour - it's delicious. We have lots of mesquite trees here in Az so it's pretty awesome that they learned we can make a high nutrient flour out of the pods! Feel free to ask any questions! :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you dont mind me asking what were your symptoms. I have been thinking about being tested????

Gluten Intollerance (which I have) presents with cramping/pain in the abdomen, diarhea or constipation or both, severe bloating and gas, in most people. Some people will gain weight (me) because the body is holding onto the food it can't digest, and others will lose weight because their body just flushes everything out.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    go the the web great sites out there a world of info and even your local food stores now carry all kind of gulteen free foods a little more expensive but its what you need. Once you get use to reading label and please be careful read lables wheat pops up in the strangest of places, you will be eating much healther. A basic good way to start is to only shop from the outside of the store . whole foods. things that are not package, processed . You wont miss your old foods soon because you will be feeling so much better Good Luck and healthy eating
  • mcurtis01
    mcurtis01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS years ago with the symptoms as stated above, but when Istarted to eat much healthier adding whole grains and wheat and cuting out white flour from my diet my symptoms got worse so my doctor checked me for Celiacs disease. which came back as gluten intolerance and I need to be continual monitored for Celiacs disease, because the results was so close.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    I do not have the gluten intolerance but my husband does. He was diagnosed with Crohns Disease and gluten bothers him. The hardest thing is finding good tasting bread. He really likes Udi's bagels and I make our own bread. I would definitely invest in a bread machine with a gluten free setting. There are many products out there that you can find in the grocery stores now. I like the Betty Crocker Cookie and Cake Mixes. If you go to the health food store you can purchase many different kinds of flour that is gluten free and make your own baked goods from scratch. I have tried a lot of recipes and even purchased a cookbook but just Google gluten free recipes and look at the feedback from people. You can really find out what is good that way. Eating out is not that much of a problem anymore.....many restaurants are having a gluten free menu....Olive Garden, PF Changs, and many others. Just be careful what you are eating....gluten is in almost everything.
  • mcurtis01
    mcurtis01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had already started eating "clean" so my main concern is cereal and my bread.... can you eat oatmeal? Is Natural peanutbutter ok? Since I started eating clean I started to to lose weight so my Dr. and I think we are on the right track.
  • jessickafree
    Options
    Chex cereal is gluten free. Check the oats. They can contain wheat as well.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS years ago with the symptoms as stated above, but when Istarted to eat much healthier adding whole grains and wheat and cuting out white flour from my diet my symptoms got worse so my doctor checked me for Celiacs disease. which came back as gluten intolerance and I need to be continual monitored for Celiacs disease, because the results was so close.

That is exactly what happened to me!!! I got diagnosed w/ IBS about 9 years ago and found that eating more whole wheat products (trying to be healthier) was a huge problem for me. Really in the last year, I've pretty much eliminated wheat products and I feel soooooo much better. I tested negative for Celiac, but seem to just have developed a gluten intolerance. I have found the Bob's Red Mill products which are great. Kroger/ Meijer both carry them in the natural/ health sections.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I had already started eating "clean" so my main concern is cereal and my bread.... can you eat oatmeal? Is Natural peanutbutter ok? Since I started eating clean I started to to lose weight so my Dr. and I think we are on the right track.

Most natural peanut butters, nuts, and other products are naturally gluten free. There is a risk of cross contamination in oats, but Bob's Red Mill makes a gluten free oats if you are worried about it. There are also some good gluten free cereals- Peanut Butter Puffins is one of my kids favorites that I love too and the EnviroKidz Peanut butter puffs, Leapin' Lemurs, and Gorilla Munch are gluten free as well. Corn and Rice chex are gluten free. Popcorn is a great gluten free snack.

Cheeses, most meats (watch the processed kinds like lunchmeat though!), cottage cheese, yogurt (plain)... and of course lots of fruits and veggies!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help I better get tested asap. I have had issues for awhile actually since high school thanks.
    My symptoms are similiar to those you stated
    Alisha
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks for the help I better get tested asap. I have had issues for awhile actually since high school thanks.
    My symptoms are similiar to those you stated
    Alisha

Definitely talk to your Dr. I really don't recommend for anyone to go gluten free unless they have issues. It's not a magical weight loss *diet* and it can be a pain to stick to. But every time I've tried again and eaten wheat I've gotten very sick. It's just not worth it. I eat very clean anyway and get in my carbs from other sources.