DR OZ ON HCG

Options
I have to say.. I cant believe Dr. Oz had this on his show first off...but it was very imformitive. The HCG is a 500 calorie a day diet w/ a shot or can be taken by mouth 3 times a day. They had lots of sucess stories and a few bad stories. On this diet u can lose up to a pound a day. I dont see how this diet could be healthy!! Has anyone tried this diet or have any experience w/ it???

Replies

• peaches6311
    peaches6311 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know two people who are doing the HCG diet. Is it healthy? I question that any diet of 500 calories is healthy. Another problem I have, is that you don't learn what you need to learn to keep it off. Learning how to eat healthy and to not overindulge is a process. So any form of shortcut in weight loss is going to keep you from learning what you need to know to keep it off. Thus, they will yo-you more than likely :(
  • SusieMendoza1108
    Options
    I tried it very very briefly..it's hard. I couldn't hang with it. I have a couple of friends (guys mainly) who have done it and stuck with it. They lost about 15lbs in 2 weeks. Have managed to keep it off. It's not impossible, just requires a lot of will power.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i would be a mean, moody witch if i only got to eat 500 cal a day...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sounds like a quick fix fad diet. The only thing that REALLY works is slow and steady, learning how to eat and making the time for exercise. There are no short cuts in the long haul.
  • lawdhelpme2
    Options
    My friend is on it. It is very expensive for a 40 day supply of the injections she paid almost $1000. She has to go to the doctor each week and she hasn't been able to eat 500 calories a day. So far she is only down 17 pounds and you can't even tell. I have been exercising and logging and I've lost 9 pounds and besides that, the diet is strict. There are only certain things you can have. So far I am not impressed with it and I agree, how will someone maintain after that. She is still hungry throughout the day and wants to indulge when she is cooking for her family.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    re moody witch; LOL I'm already a witch... or is it the b word... either way. Dont irritate me with giving me a diet that only allows for 500 cal per day. I feel deprived on 1400 cal per day!
  • Vegas47
    Options
    I've seen several friends try it, they drive themselves crazy trying to stay below 500 calories just to gain back the weight they lost the min it's over. Seems silly to do something like this to yourself, but there's some who swear by it. I guess there's always someone things like this work for, I just don't think it's the norm. :ohwell:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sounds like a quick fix fad diet. The only thing that REALLY works is slow and steady, learning how to eat and making the time for exercise. There are no short cuts in the long haul.

totally agree!!!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    KEY WORD DIET when will we realize they dont work long time healthy eating and exercise is the way to go yes it can be slow and long but injections you have got to be kiding me 5 years from now there'll be a hugh law suit
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    re moody witch; LOL I'm already a witch... or is it the b word... either way. Dont irritate me with giving me a diet that only allows for 500 cal per day. I feel deprived on 1400 cal per day!

too funny! :)
  • ChiRiChi
    ChiRiChi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've seen successes, but it is difficult to stay on track once you're off the diet. Every pound gained can cause you to go on a frenzy....Too each their own, but I'm all for slow & steady. :)
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I have heard many success stories on this diet.... the shot is to help suppress your appetite. Yes it is strict, therefore it does take a lot of will power and self control for the diet to work. If you stick with it, I would think by the time you reach your goal weight your body would be use to not eating as much. Individuals who gain the weight back after reaching their goals, do so because they go back to old habits of eating bad, not exercising, and over indulging. Dieting is a lifelong choice.... you can't expect to diet for a few months to get to your goal weight and then start eating pizza every night again (just an example). Being of a healthy weight is a daily dedication and choice. It takes hard work and a lot of self control. In my opinion the diet can be extremely encouraging for the fact that you see results fast. Get to your goal weight, then get on a healthy diet to maintain that weight and continue with your exercises. If you're not into diet and exercise for life then there's no point in even beginning any type of diet.
  • croatsandy
    croatsandy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did (Homeopathic Sublingual Drops) HCG at the beginning of theyear and I lost 21 pounds. I watched the Dr. Oz show on HCG and he was pretty much spot on about the program. I did the protocol through my homeopathic doctor, and it included a pre-HCG evaluation, the drops, and a post-HCG evaluation. The total cost was $200. My jaw dropped when the lady on the show said she paid $800 for the injections.

It is a really hard diet because you are very limited in what you can eat. You only have a few vegetables and fruits to choose from and you eat lean meats like chicken and lean beef. And yes, it's only 500 calories. They did tell me that the drops would curb my appetite and I really really really didn't believe them. I used to laugh at people who would tell me they forgot to eat! But I can tell you that I was NOT hungry while on these drops. Switching from eating lots of sugar and fat to fruits, veggies, and lean protein has done wonders for me. My skin looks AMAZING! My energy was unbelieveable. I feel like I sound like an infomercial but it's the absolute truth. Do I think it was the HCG that made me feel that way? No, probably not...it was the non-processed foods and healthy eating that was making amazing changes to my body.

I had really good results with HCG but everybody is different.

As far as this being a quick fix diet...it totally is! This thing is NEVER intended to be a lifestyle changer. It is to give you a good jumpstart. It made me rethink how I felt about food and how I even thought about food. I have about 15 more pounds to lose and I'm doing that through healthy diet and exercise, but some of the principles I learned on the HCG, I'm using to get rid of these last pesky pounds.

If you are thinking about doing HCG, I would not recommend ordering anything online. You just don't know what's in it. I would recommend finding a homeopathic/alternative medicine doctor who can prescribe it for you.

Hope this information helps!

Sandy
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have to say.. I cant believe Dr. Oz had this on his show first off...but it was very imformitive. The HCG is a 500 calorie a day diet w/ a shot or can be taken by mouth 3 times a day. They had lots of sucess stories and a few bad stories. On this diet u can lose up to a pound a day. I dont see how this diet could be healthy!! Has anyone tried this diet or have any experience w/ it???

What did Dr. Oz himself have to say about it? Just curious.

I believe in losing weight the healthy way watching calories and exercise. I've lost 31 lbs since August and am still going down. Even if I have a cheat day or two I do not gain. I've read people on HCG if they deviate just a little from the strict diet (eat a piece of bread) they gain like 2 lbs and then they are devastated!! So after the HCG diet you can never eat a piece of bread for the rest of your life!!! That diet is so unrealistic.
  • smorrow33
    smorrow33 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually did this diet. I lost 22 lbs. Yes it is very restricted, the first week was the worst. By the end of it i was actually fighting myself trying to get in all the 500 cals becuase i felt so full from what i was eating. The thing I'm seeing with alot of these comments is assuming once your done with the diet and the rounds of HCG your done all together. Thats not quite true, they actually guide you into re-introducing foods that are healthy for you and encourage you to stay away from bad foods. It is a life style change they teach you. Yes its extreme but some people need that extreme to get going into eating healthy. If you stick to eating healthy you will keep the weight off. I did gain about 5 lbs back becuase i started eating crap again. I had a friend who did it and she did gain all her weight back plus some becuase she stopped eating healthy.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I occasionally work in a pharmacy and it is VERY expensive, especially since most insurances don't cover it. I've talked to my pharmacists about it and they all say the same thing- once you quit the diet you gain back all the weight!
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    I did (Homeopathic Sublingual Drops) HCG at the beginning of theyear and I lost 21 pounds. I watched the Dr. Oz show on HCG and he was pretty much spot on about the program. I did the protocol through my homeopathic doctor, and it included a pre-HCG evaluation, the drops, and a post-HCG evaluation. The total cost was $200. My jaw dropped when the lady on the show said she paid $800 for the injections.

It is a really hard diet because you are very limited in what you can eat. You only have a few vegetables and fruits to choose from and you eat lean meats like chicken and lean beef. And yes, it's only 500 calories. They did tell me that the drops would curb my appetite and I really really really didn't believe them. I used to laugh at people who would tell me they forgot to eat! But I can tell you that I was NOT hungry while on these drops. Switching from eating lots of sugar and fat to fruits, veggies, and lean protein has done wonders for me. My skin looks AMAZING! My energy was unbelieveable. I feel like I sound like an infomercial but it's the absolute truth. Do I think it was the HCG that made me feel that way? No, probably not...it was the non-processed foods and healthy eating that was making amazing changes to my body.

I had really good results with HCG but everybody is different.

As far as this being a quick fix diet...it totally is! This thing is NEVER intended to be a lifestyle changer. It is to give you a good jumpstart. It made me rethink how I felt about food and how I even thought about food. I have about 15 more pounds to lose and I'm doing that through healthy diet and exercise, but some of the principles I learned on the HCG, I'm using to get rid of these last pesky pounds.

If you are thinking about doing HCG, I would not recommend ordering anything online. You just don't know what's in it. I would recommend finding a homeopathic/alternative medicine doctor who can prescribe it for you.

Hope this information helps!

Sandy

That is awesome!!! Congrats! :)

I haven't heard of it being so expensive either.... everyone I have talked to about it have only paid a couple of hundred. I guess it just depends on where you go.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff Oz has been endorsing is leading me to think this guy is a quack! At the very least he is irresponsible in the stories he allows to be published under his name.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    THX FOR THE INFO ON UR STORY
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

What did Dr. Oz himself have to say about it? Just curious.

I believe in losing weight the healthy way watching calories and exercise. I've lost 31 lbs since August and am still going down. Even if I have a cheat day or two I do not gain. I've read people on HCG if they deviate just a little from the strict diet (eat a piece of bread) they gain like 2 lbs and then they are devastated!! So after the HCG diet you can never eat a piece of bread for the rest of your life!!! That diet is so unrealistic.

I FORGET EXACLTY...ITS ON HIS WEBSITE TOO..PRETTY MUCH HE DOSENT AGREE W/ 500 CALORIES BEING HEALTHY BUT THERE IS LOST OF EVIDENCE THAT IS DOES WORK BUT THERE IS SIDE EFFECTS..SUCH AS HAIR LOSS...CRANKY ETC .