Zumba anyone?

Options
My sister and I decided to try a Zumba class together at my gym on Sunday morning. I am excited because it sounds like fun but I am nervous too! I never do classes at the gym because I feel intimidated and I think, "what if I'm the only out of shape fool who can't do the full hour?" Does anyone else get nervous about classes? My sister doesn't understand where I'm coming from because she is in really good shape.

Replies

• KhollerSA05
    KhollerSA05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everybody feels that way about something they haven't done before. Just remember start at the back so you are close to your water when you need it and hang in there the more of it you do the better you will get.
  • cls413
    cls413 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I know lots of people love classes, but I've held off going until I get my endurance up. I'd love to try Zumba and Body Pump though.
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that at first when I started zumba (I am well over 100 pounds overweight)... but honestly I didn't notice anyone but the instructor because typical zumba gives no verbal cues.. only visual.. so you have to watch and learn from her so I figure if I am watching her then everyone else is also watching her and not me.

And I know I don't do the moves just right.. but I am keeping my heart rate up and moving and sweating so I am burning calories even if my body has a different rhythm than the rest of the class. :)

My favorite thing about our zumba class is that we have such a wide variety of people that attend. All shapes, sizes, ages, etc.... I never feel out of place. And although the next day I sometimes feel like I got run over by a truck, I feel so AWESOME right after class. I just love it :)

Have fun... and if they are watching you just give it your all and look at them with that "why are you all doing this wrong?" look :)
  • ChelsRich
    Options
    And remember to have fun!
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I'm not going to lie...you will feel foolish at first. Just remember, half the ladies in there (probably all of them actually) have the same insecurities. Zumba is more than a workout...it's a state of mind...it's about empowerment and feeling sexy and embracing your curves...showing them off. It doesn't take long for the foolish feeling to go away tho. It's really about learning the steps. Once you get the hang of it, it gets better. Plus it is soooo much fun!!!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The more you go the better you will get! It's a blast and you definitely won't be the only one there who doesn't know the moves. Even if you don't think you can do it try to stick out the entire hour, just do the moves lower-impact if you're getting too exhausted. It really is a blast and a great work-out! I'm going tonight when I get out of work :smile:
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    You're going to love it!!! I'm a licensed Zumba instructor and everyone is scared at first. Its an amazing work out and the time flies! Bring lots of water and a towl your going to love it!
  • byelou20
    Options
    Love Zumba. Haven't tried it in a class. I got the fitness dvd set to do at home. So I end up doing it with my little sisters. Well they are not little, they are teenagers. lol They love it just as much as I do. Maybe you could try like a little neighborhood get together area.... u know like a church or a small facility that holds them. My sister in law does that, and a variety of ppl shapes and sizes show up. Makes it feel alot more realistic. I'm thinking of joining her......
    Good Luck! and like they say..... Have fun.
  • mckara
    mckara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba faithfully for the last 6 months and it is FANTASTIC. I don't even feel like I am working out. I go to both classes and use my DVDs. It has made such a difference in my weight loss that almost everyone at my job is now doing it 3 x a week after work. For instance, since January 18th, I have lost 5 inches off my waist and 4 off my hips (not to mention my thighs, arms and neck). This was the first time I had actually measured myself and I was shocked!!! I have gone from a size 32 to a size 20 and still going down, so it does work. Just stick with it, at first you may be confused about the dance steps, but you will get it. You will find that it is just different variations of several dances. I have lost 97 lbs since January, most of it since using MFP and Zumba, so it really does work! Good Luck!!!
  • DeAsh
    DeAsh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started about a month ago. The classes at my gym are pretty crowded, and I thought someone might laugh because I didn't know the steps. Turns out there are always new people starting, and no one cares if you mess up. It's a super fun workout, and you'll make some new friends in the process!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy the atmosphere of classes but I know a lot of people that don't.

Just keep in mind that everyone there is too busy worrying about their own workout to really judge anyone else. Zumba is super fun and it seems like the people in those classes have an even more positive attitude than others.
  • Je21mp3
    Options
    I'm not going to lie...you will feel foolish at first. Just remember, half the ladies in there (probably all of them actually) have the same insecurities. Zumba is more than a workout...it's a state of mind...it's about empowerment and feeling sexy and embracing your curves...showing them off. It doesn't take long for the foolish feeling to go away tho. It's really about learning the steps. Once you get the hang of it, it gets better. Plus it is soooo much fun!!!

This statement is very true! It's a load of fun and you get to shake what your momma gave ya haha. Don't go in there thinking on man I look stupid because everyone else in there is either enjoying the music and doens't give a care in the world who sees her having fun or is feeling insecure and looking around,. Just go in there and let the music take over, HAVE FUN!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! I go twice a week and sneak in a third class whenever possible! I agree with the others, you feel awkward at first but then after a couple classes you start to know the moves a little better. Also agree with the fact that everyone is watching the instructor and not worried about how others look. It's great fun, all I can say is keep moving and have a blast!
  • mandyarostegui
    mandyarostegui Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is exactly right! The first time I went to a class, I went by myself having NO idea what to expect. I missed so many moves and did feel silly... but had so much fun, I didn't care! I walked out, calling my husband telling him I had found a new love... and have been going ever since! You WILL catch on... it may take three or four times to feel familiar with the moves.

Everyone is so busy paying attention to what they're doing - they're not watching you... the most important part of it all is no matter what, just keep moving and have FUN. :)
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Go for it and have some fun! as a Zumba Instructor i always welcome everyone before class starts and let them know that there are no rules to Zumba. if we're shaking to the right and you're shaking to the left, it doesn't matter as long as you are moving and having fun! i have new ppl in my classes every week of all sizes, shapes, ages, and endurance levels. we ALL had our first class. we understand how you feel coming in for the 1st time and we all try to welcome you as family. i've been teaching aerobics for 14 years and add a lot of fitness to my routines but always mention for those just starting out to pick a level they are comfy with. make modifications to what fits you best. no one watches each other, they are too busy concentrating on their workout and/or following the instructor. as instructors, our job is to educate and make it fun so you will come back again. we are all in this together! go have some fun and enjoy your zumba class!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba class like seven times a week ... sometimes twice in one night.

It really is awesome, and you'll have a blast!

Don't worry about what anybody else thinks ... they're all too busy trying to do their own thing anyways. Just find a comfortable spot and get into the music! You might prefer to hang out in the back initially until you are more comfortable, just make sure you can see the instructor and you'll be fine. :drinker:
  • Kjarlune
    Kjarlune Posts: 178
    Options
    I want to do do Zumba too it looks like so much fun, but to be honest I am petrified. LOL I am not sure I can handle it. I feel the same about yoga too, but here is the thing.

No one else's opinion matters but yours. An accomplishment is just going if you can handle 20 minutes woohoo you will do 30 the next time 40 after that and before you know it if you just keep going you will become the instructor. Loosing weight getting fit it is like everything else we do in our lives.

Finding that job is petrifying.....till we get it....then we forget.. you will with this too.. First kiss..first relationship...it is all the same...this is your first be excited...Trust yourself sweetheart....This is just one of your many shining moments....
  • Drea1713
    Options
    Did you enjoy your Zumba class? I have since become a Zumba fanatic. I love love the work out. I go 4 times a week for about and hour session. It doesn't feel like working out more like dancing and you always have a fun time. I did and do feel out of place with steps still and I have been going for 3 weeks now. The point is let losse have fun and most of the time you pay attention to the teacher not those around you
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i hope this makes you feel a little better about attending your 1st class and feeling silly. i've been doing this over 14 years and love to attend other instructors classes when i can. since every instructor has their own choreography and own style i have no idea what the routines are when i take another class. i stumble around like everyone else. i stand in the middle or back since i don't know the moves. usually the ppl in the front row are regulars and know all the moves. i feel silly at times but again, we are all there to have some fun and no one really cares how well you do. dance like no one is watching!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I was nervous at first when I started taking classes about 7 years ago but I'm not now. I love my Zumba class. It is the best! And now they are getting ready to do a high intensity class at the gym I go to..during the lunch hour for 30 minutes..as well as elliptical trainer classes and a dance party class (where you basically do club dancing for an hour!) so excited...