Looking for high protein, but low sugar protein bar

Options
I am looking for a high protein with low sugar protein bar that doesn't have a lot of "crap" ingredients. I've been researching this online and haven't found anything yet. I would like to some feedback from all of you. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    When you find them let us know. I have looked at a ton of them and most all of them seem like poor choices. I found some at Trader Joe's that I use in a pinch, but I don't use those unless I have to. I would love to find some good ones for my daughter when she starts softball practice and need a little kick before practice.
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    bump
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that. I don't think they exist. You might be able to find a recipe online for protein bars...maybe?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on here, I haven't tried it yet, but I really want to.

protein bar.

6 tbsp peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
    1 cup dry Quaker old fashioned oats (uncooked)
    6 scoops vanilla protein
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla.

Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 10 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.
  • Monicamarkt
    Monicamarkt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin bars. they have 20 g protein and 0-4 g sugar. Taste good and can buy anywhere. I get mine at WinCo
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    think thin bars!!!! they are so good and Pure Protein bars!!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I would agree with hroush and make your own! That way you know EXACTLY what is going in them!! I have a recipe similar to his that is delicious..it has almonds and cranberries, but i think you can modify anything!! I cut into serving portions, and keep them wrapped in the fridge.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    I like Think Thin bars. they have 20 g protein and 0-4 g sugar. Taste good and can buy anywhere. I get mine at WinCo

The only problem with Think Thin bars is that they are loaded with sugar alcohol, which I would like to avoid. Thanks for your input tho.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Power Bar Protein Plus the low sugar variety. I have 1/2 a bar with a glass of water and it is very filling! (22g protein and 1g sugar per bar).
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The only 2 really good choices are drink shakes instead of bars or bake your own using real ingredients. I've baked a couple, it's tough to get it right, but at least you know what's in it.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How low is low for you and Sugar? I think luna protein bars are low sugar comparitavely. I also second the recipe. I made them nto balls instead of.bars
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    How low is low for you and Sugar? I think luna protein bars are low sugar comparitavely. I also second the recipe. I made them nto balls instead of.bars

I would like to find something that doesn't list sugar as one of the first five ingredients.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    It appears that the general consensus is that this does not exist and I should make my own. Guess that is what I'll do. I work a full-time job and would like something that I can just grab and eat before hitting the gym. Two days a week, I work out for 2 hours at a time so I want something that is going to last through my workout. Thanks everyone for your input. I knew I could count on all of MFP peeps. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars have between 1-3 grams of sugar, depending on the flavor. (the smaller 180-210 calorie ones, not the huge ones)

As with any option like this, you're getting sugar alcohols in exchange, but they aren't as high as others I've seen. I also don't eat/drink anything else at all that contains any sugar alcohols, so I don't worry too much about the amount I get in the Pure Protein bars.

And they're super tasty. It's like a dense, rich, awesome candy bar. And they're the most filling of any bar I've had. I've had 'em from breakfast in a pinch before and almost missed my lunchtime at work cuz I wasn't even hungry.

Luna Bars aren't worth it to me. They taste good, but they have more sugar than they do protein or fiber. All the flavors I looked at had 12-14 grams of sugar! And when I had one for breakfast one day I felt hungry super soon after and ended up having to have a snack before lunch.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for a healthy peanut butter protein bar.

It doesn't include sugar in the ingredients, but it does include honey or fructose.
  • Wileyjoe
    Wileyjoe Posts: 282
    Options
    Pure Protein bars have between 1-3 grams of sugar, depending on the flavor. (the smaller 180-210 calorie ones, not the huge ones)

As with any option like this, you're getting sugar alcohols in exchange, but they aren't as high as others I've seen. I also don't eat/drink anything else at all that contains any sugar alcohols, so I don't worry too much about the amount I get in the Pure Protein bars.

And they're super tasty. It's like a dense, rich, awesome candy bar. And they're the most filling of any bar I've had. I've had 'em from breakfast in a pinch before and almost missed my lunchtime at work cuz I wasn't even hungry.

Luna Bars aren't worth it to me. They taste good, but they have more sugar than they do protein or fiber. All the flavors I looked at had 12-14 grams of sugar! And when I had one for breakfast one day I felt hungry super soon after and ended up having to have a snack before lunch.

I agree - I like the pure protein bars. I have them as my snacks most days.
  • daxa_yen
    daxa_yen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, avoid them at all. Try to keep on lean meat instead. Or protein shakes are also good choice. If you do not have any other option, like having too much exercise during the day, not having time to have really full stomach, try to find some which are not so sweet in taste despite they have quite a lot of carbs. I'm having these:
    http://www.organicfoodbar.com/products/Protein
    all the time with me. You need carbs, but those "correct ones" also for a good body metabolism. Of course, if you are not on high fat/protein diet ;)
    Good luck.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipe. Thanks for sharing.
  • leanmass58
    Options
    I've looked for a true high protein low carb, low sugar bar for years, and all but gave up on them as most of what's available today is nothing more than a glorified Snickers. Then a trainer at my gym told me about a new bar called Quest which was supposed to have no added sugar and no sugar alcohols with only 4 grams of carbs and 20 grams of quality protein.
    I sent away for free samples and not only found they delivered as promised on the ingerdients, but also tasted terrific.
    You should definitely give these a try.:smile:
  • Roadkill44
    Options
    i have used Met-Rx products for quite some time and have always been pleased with them. Their Protein Plus bar has 32g of protein and only 2g of sugar. They are widely available.